How are hispanics treated in Japan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are hispanics treated in Japan?

I was just curious. Do they treat hispanics the same as they treat a caucasion m/f with blonde hair?

Re: How are hispanics treated in Japan?

What kind of hispanics are you talking about? From Spain or South America or Mexico etc? I work with some Spanish guys at a university in Osaka who have Masters degrees and teach at the university (not to mention the Spanish guys on the NHK Spanish language program) I also knew others for South America etc who were laborers and working in factories and 'blue collar' jobs, or were 'immigrants' with japanese ancestry. I think a lot will depend on the person's educational background and the kind or work they do that determines how they are treated.

Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Interesting question. There are some points given to blonde, blue-eyed, Aryan looking Caucasians. I call it the Hollywood influence, the closer you are to Leo diCaprio, the easier it is. Yet, at the same time it's that way in most places in the world, sadly. I've been in Tokyo for six years, a representative of a well known ethnic group that a lot of natives (and others) associate with hip hop music and basketball. There's no real news to report. Many westerners regardless of ethnic background are obvious aliens on planet Japan, but more of the "ET/Mr. Spock" variety than the Sigourney Weaver variety. Blondes seem to have a bit more fun, but just a bit more it seems.

Comment

lol.. I would think blondes would be "ultra-gaijins" according to some...

Comment

I am a hispanic from Chihuahua and I have been treated better than some Caucasian men. I am not that tall either and I don't have a hollywood body but I am lucky. I don't think that it is on how you look. Take this advice and use it...."ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING" and don't let these other guys tell you otherwise. You could be BLACK or GREEN it is all the same under the skin. Peace....

Comment

I do agree with Ron MacDonald's comments. I am a hispanic originally from Costa Rica. I am short, with dark brown skin and eyes and black hair. When I am with my caucasian friends or fair-skinned hispanic friends, Japanese people are more interested in them because they fit the notion of the "ideal foreigner." At first glance, Japanese people assume I work in a factory or at a hostess bar when I work in neither fields. Compared to caucasians or to any fair-skinned people, I must work twice as hard to get noticed, to make Japanese friends or to have others take me seriously. Yet, it is my cultures, heritage and most of all CONFIDENCE that gets me through. My Japanese friends, co-workers and others accept me for WHO I am and not WHAT I am. That's what matters.

Comment

I think that I have to agree with ozzy on "ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING". That and only that I agree with. OK, i was in Fukuoka for 2 years and went back n forth to Tokyo. How you look in Japan has it advantages like most countries. If you are a "ultra gaijin" lol.. then you will not likely get the stereo types because that I was is seen on TV, COMPUTERS, AD, ETC. On the other hand you have non-caucasion people who will thrive in Japan because of couriosity. Hence, Roppongi or anywhere else. So, if you are indeed 'Holywood material' then don't worry, but having the attitude is one of the most important facors. Just be like me! Balance them both and you will have no problem getting women, meeting people, and blending in with the culture.
              MAKE WAY NIPPON BECAUSE I AM COMING BACK!!!!!!!
              WATASHI WA NIHON NI KAERUTAI YO!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X