Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment insurance in Japan

Greetings everyone!

I am new in this forum and i would like to say hi! to all for the very first time. Ok, I am from Singapore and I have got an job offer a mechanical engineer in Osaka Japan. I am still negotiating about salary and benefits and would like to be certain about some conditions before signing the contract.

1. Can anyone let me know about the general unemployment insurance coverage in Japan? As per my contract. there is deduction from my salary for this insurance, however i am not sure about the coverage by the insurance which i requested to my employer and they are saying its standard insurance as per guideline of Japanese Govt. In the event if i got fired should i get monetary coverage? How about if i resign on my own?

2. In my contract, it is written that there will be 24 hors notice period of termination from either party during probationary period (3 months). Is this normal time frame in Japan?

Thanks a lot for your time in advance!

T

Originally posted by pkds93
    G and they are saying its standard insurance as per guideline of Japanese Govt. In the event if i got fired should i get monetary coverage? How about if i resign on my own?

2. In my contract, it is written that there will be 24 hors notice period of termination from either party during probationary period (3 months). Is this normal time frame in Japan?

Thanks a lot for your time in advance!
    Unemployment insurance is required if you are a full time employee. it entitles you to welfare benefits if you are laid off, you are restructured or dismissed. as far as I know you can not claim benefits if you resign voluntarily.

2. Technically speaking employers are not required to give notice if you are on probation as you are not officially employed by the company and thus not covered under Japanese labor laws.

More info here.

http://www.efl-law.com/Japan.php#dismissal

Comment

I believe you have to have worked at least 6 months before you can claim any unemployment benefits.

If you resign, there is a waiting period (3 months?) before you can receive any benefits, but if you are fired, I think the wait is shorter.

Comment

Thanks a lot KansaiBen and Glenski for the clarification! I am still waiting for the response from the employer as well.

Comment

Working...
        X