Why a degree?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a degree?

Is it necessary to have a BA, BS, or PhD? What is the advantage of having a degree in today's market? Is there a more efficient way of self-development?

Originally posted by LinuxFun View Post
    Is it necessary to have a BA, BS, or PhD? What is the advantage of having a degree in today's market? Is there a more efficient way of self-development?
    Dont waste your money on a degree. Buy this book. I bought my first Maybach at 20 off the back of it:

http://www.selfdevelopmentguide.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gaijin Samurai View Post
      Dont waste your money on a degree. Buy this book. I bought my first Maybach at 20 off the back of it:

I am still reading the article that you provided by link. But why should an employer hire some one with out degree?
      For example is it possible to become a mathematician without a BS?
      Last edited by LinuxFun; 2011-05-10, 10:36 PM.

Comment

What's the color of the sky in your world there, Linus?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaijin Samurai View Post

The one with the picture of a nude guy on the cover? Pouring water on himself?.......Grrrrr! whatever floats your boat tho....

Comment

Originally posted by Call_It_Like_Eye_See_It View Post
            What's the color of the sky in your world there, Linus?
            I have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

I know this is a pie-in-the-sky question. But with the cost of a 4 year degree and high unemployment. What is the net gain of higher education?

Comment

... What is the net gain of higher education?
                ... an education??

take a look at the alternatives.... Mael, Federer, 1standard, Research no ledge, et al.... you do the math!

Comment

I am still reading the article that you provided by link. But why should an employer hire some one with out degree?
                  For example is it possible to become a mathematician without a BS?
                  You can be anything you want without a BS (I mean bull sh@@@t). Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                    ... an education??

you do the math!
                    Okay let's do the math. College graduate has 30,000 dollars in college debt but make only 25,000 a year.

And you can not discharge federal loan in bankruptcy.
                    Last edited by LinuxFun; 2011-05-11, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Okay let's do the math. College graduate has 30,000 dollars in college debt but make only 25,000 a year.

Ansd you can discharge federal loan in bankruptcy.
                      Excuse me, I don't need a College degree to make $ 25,000 a year. I used to make this money as a waitress out off boat.

Comment

Is there any way a young person can gain actual experience in their desired subject? For example programming, mathematic, and science.

Comment

Is there any way a young person can gain actual experience in their desired subject? For example programming, mathematic, and science.

1. hard work
                          2. time

Comment

What market are you talking about?

No, there is no more "efficient" way of self-development. How many people (or better put, what percentage of people) do you know that are self-educated and financial successes?

And, then, of course there is always the very pointed question: what do you want to do in life?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                              What market are you talking about?

No, there is no more "efficient" way of self-development. How many people (or better put, what percentage of people) do you know that are self-educated and financial successes?

And, then, of course there is always the very pointed question: what do you want to do in life?
                              I only know of three or four that come to mind (not sure if they have degrees or not though)

1. Bill Gates, Harvard dropout
                              2. Robert Kiyosaki property guru and best selling author.
                              3. Donald Trump.
                              4. the guy who founded Facebook, dropped out of Harvard to start Facebook and is now a zillionaire.

Having a degree doesnt guarantee you that it will make you a lot of money or you will be rich. Having a degree gives you some choices, as well as provides you with a well rounded education. With no degree you can become rich but still be ignorant and rich. Just look at Donald Trump for that.

A degree is only necessary in Japan so you can obtain a work visa, not much else.

Comment

Working...
                              X