Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

The most physically active job on an engineer visa?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most physically active job on an engineer visa?

...or are we destined to rot away in front of the computer forever?

So - what type of engineer are you? I am sure that if you look - you will find physical work to do.

Mechanical engineer – checking bridge welds above ocean passages
    Sanitation engineer – collecting garbage
    Electrical engineer – conducting continuity checks on the new Tokyo tower
    Nuclear engineer – climbing around new pipes in Fukushima
    Aeronautical engineer – conducting wind tunnel tests of jump suits
    Chemical engineer – loading helicopters with agricultural pesticides

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
      So - what type of engineer are you? I am sure that if you look - you will find physical work to do.

I am the type of engineer that sits at a desk all day in front of a computer. So I am looking to find something else in the "engineering" category that I would be qualified for. I am assuming my years of programming and sysadmin work aren't going to qualify me for more than entry level installation type jobs. Unless anyone can think of a programming job that requires heavy lifting or a sysadmin job that requires mowing lawns?

Actually, if the employer will just add the word "engineer" to the end of my title I would be set: Lawnmower Engineer, Custodial Engineer, Office Mover Engineer, etc. The problem isn't my Japanese proficiency, it is my visa limits on only working in Engineering / science related fields and my professional experience limits me to IT. I would much rather take a low paying manual labor job that do what I do now.

Comment

Oh - an engineer in name only...

So find an IT services firm - installing servers, routers, switches, etc.; rebuilding configurations; supporting PC users, etc. At least you will become mobile, and if you are assigned multiple clients – you should find the boredom minimized.

I believe that the engineering visa is applicable for any type of physical field work related to equipment (not just IT) that you can find. You just need to convince a company to assign you to non-IT work.

If you stay long enough to obtain a PR status – then any (legal) work is permitted.
        Last edited by TJrandom; 2011-08-02, 01:52 PM.

Comment

If you stay long enough to obtain a PR status – then any (legal) work is permitted.
          Only about a year and a half to go before I am eligible for PR. I will try to stick it out a bit longer...

Comment

TJrandom
            Sorry But your list is misleading by simple reasoning for example:
            Sanitation engineer – collecting garbage-garbage is collected by sanitation workers, the engineers are the dump site making sure hazardous waste is not mixed with the collected garbage.
            Nuclear engineer – climbing around new pipes in Fukushima - This is done by day laborer under contract-The Engineers are sitting at computer conssoles running simulations of what can happen to those workers after they get exposed.
            Aeronautical engineer – conducting wind tunnel tests of jump suits. Again work done by worker drones- with the Engineers using computers to design and see what effects the air flows have on hose suits.
            Chemical engineer – loading helicopters with agricultural pesticides - Again the actual loading specially if it is agricultural pesticides is done by dumb workers being payed minimum wages-Engineers are back in an air conditioned control room telling the workers what to do.
            Electrical engineer – conducting continuity checks on the new Tokyo tower - Ha! Ha! no way is that going to happen-back in the 70`s I worked as a lineman for Okinawa Electric Company and going up was left to us drones getting payed 10,000 yen per day if we worked. Still the same today!

Engineers are highly paid supposed to be experts in their fields and they are not expected or made to do any manual labo.r

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
              TJrandom
              Sorry But your list is misleading by simple reasoning for example:
              Sanitation engineer – collecting garbage-garbage is collected by sanitation workers, the engineers are the dump site making sure hazardous waste is not mixed with the collected garbage.
              Nuclear engineer – climbing around new pipes in Fukushima - This is done by day laborer under contract-The Engineers are sitting at computer conssoles running simulations of what can happen to those workers after they get exposed.
              Aeronautical engineer – conducting wind tunnel tests of jump suits. Again work done by worker drones- with the Engineers using computers to design and see what effects the air flows have on hose suits.
              Chemical engineer – loading helicopters with agricultural pesticides - Again the actual loading specially if it is agricultural pesticides is done by dumb workers being payed minimum wages-Engineers are back in an air conditioned control room telling the workers what to do.
              Electrical engineer – conducting continuity checks on the new Tokyo tower - Ha! Ha! no way is that going to happen-back in the 70`s I worked as a lineman for Okinawa Electric Company and going up was left to us drones getting payed 10,000 yen per day if we worked. Still the same today!

Engineers are highly paid supposed to be experts in their fields and they are not expected or made to do any manual labo.r
              By golly – another misdirected reply. Please resend to Popular Mechanics….

Yeh – I know my list and examples were off, but it was early (after my siesta), and besides – I am not an engineer. So no quibbles on your complaint – ‘ceptin, I don’t give a flying f---. And no disrespect intended towards engineers.
              Last edited by TJrandom; 2011-08-02, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stafu View Post
                I am the type of engineer that sits at a desk all day in front of a computer. So I am looking to find something else in the "engineering" category that I would be qualified for. I am assuming my years of programming and sysadmin work aren't going to qualify me for more than entry level installation type jobs. Unless anyone can think of a programming job that requires heavy lifting or a sysadmin job that requires mowing lawns?

Actually, if the employer will just add the word "engineer" to the end of my title I would be set: Lawnmower Engineer, Custodial Engineer, Office Mover Engineer, etc. The problem isn't my Japanese proficiency, it is my visa limits on only working in Engineering / science related fields and my professional experience limits me to IT. I would much rather take a low paying manual labor job that do what I do now.
                My man you are stuck! by your admission you are not qualified for anything but sitting at a desk looking at a computer screen. Think can you do anything else?
                Be honest! can you repair computer hardware? Can you Bar tend? Do you have any other skills? Are you too old to learn? Are you willing to take a cut in salary?
                Can you do maintenance on apartments / houses? What type of physical labor have you done since getting out of school?
                Can you answer yes to any of those questions?

IWe`ll tell you the answer to your problem after you honestly tell us the answers to the questions.

Comment

Sales "Engineer" / IT Consultant for a major IT services / Telecomms company - Travel all the time to see clients, get to eat lots of food on company dime at night and lots of 飲みにケーション.

Though you'll still need to work out outside of work due to the obscene caloric intake from restaurant food.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
                    My man you are stuck! by your admission you are not qualified for anything but sitting at a desk looking at a computer screen. Think can you do anything else?
                    Be honest! can you repair computer hardware? Can you Bar tend? Do you have any other skills? Are you too old to learn? Are you willing to take a cut in salary?
                    Can you do maintenance on apartments / houses? What type of physical labor have you done since getting out of school?
                    Can you answer yes to any of those questions?
                    haha, yeah that is what is sounds like... I guess I should clarify, I am technically, mentally, and physically capable of doing many things. But on my visa I am limited to engineering / science related fields. So I am looking to find something that could be considered engineering / science related, but requires copious amounts of physical activity. And yes, absolutely willing to take a salary cut.

Comment

I don't have any job suggestions for you, but how about just exercising? I sit in front of a computer all day myself, and I have to make an active effort to get out there and be active so I don't get fat. It's not easy, but once you get in a rhythm, it's also not that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                        I don't have any job suggestions for you, but how about just exercising? I sit in front of a computer all day myself, and I have to make an active effort to get out there and be active so I don't get fat. It's not easy, but once you get in a rhythm, it's also not that hard.
                        I am pretty active in general, I bicycle commute every day. When I get home I am moving around a lot. Have a dog that I take on long walks every night. Spend the weekends hiking / cycling... but the 8-9hr span every day sitting in front of the computer is killing me.

Comment

Originally posted by stafu View Post
                          I am pretty active in general, I bicycle commute every day. When I get home I am moving around a lot. Have a dog that I take on long walks every night. Spend the weekends hiking / cycling... but the 8-9hr span every day sitting in front of the computer is killing me.
                          Same situation here. How personal is your workspace? I find drinking during the day helps numb the pain. Whiskey fan myself, but if you're surrounded by co-workers you're probably better off with a voddy-and-coke.

Comment

lol
                            im in the same boat as you..
                            I am getting so fat..
                            i need an active job too

Comment

Working...
                            X