Working options for a non native English spouse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working options for a non native English spouse

Hi, I am moving to Japan in a few months and have a question regarding my wife. I am British and she is Mexican but has a degree in Nutrition and speaks English very well. I understand that she can apply for permission to work on her spouse visa but I want to know if she must have a job offer before she applies for this ?

Also as a non native speaker what chance does she actually have of getting a job ? possibly teaching English / Spanish ? or is there any other line of work available for non Japanese speakers ?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Originally posted by adzee1 View Post
    Hi, I am moving to Japan in a few months and have a question regarding my wife. I am British and she is Mexican but has a degree in Nutrition and speaks English very well. I understand that she can apply for permission to work on her spouse visa but I want to know if she must have a job offer before she applies for this ?
    she wont have a spouse visa, she will get a dependent visa and yes she needs permission.

Also as a non native speaker what chance does she actually have of getting a job ? possibly teaching English / Spanish ? or is there any other line of work available for non Japanese speakers ?
    Your guess is as good as mine. What are her skills? Can she do something Japanese cant do?

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
      she wont have a spouse visa, she will get a dependent visa and yes she needs permission.

Your guess is as good as mine. What are her skills? Can she do something Japanese cant do?

ping-pong ball tricks??? animals??

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
        ping-pong ball tricks??? animals??
        speak English? Use a knife and fork?

Comment

I think she has to apply for a "permission to engage in an activity other than that specified in the visa" (or something like that from memory).

If i remember correctly, she does need to specify the details of the job when applying (company name, hours a week.. maybe income.. maybe..)

As for non-native speaker.. I have met people in Japan who were non-native speakers and who i had trouble understanding in English..
          one was an English teacher in a small school.. one was an ALT.

If you have the opportunity, you may want to check with the consulate there before you come and check what the deal is.

Comment

work in a Mexican restaurant? What part of Japan are you coming to?

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
              speak English? Use a knife and fork?
              Better add those to your CV. Assuming you can use both utensils properly, that is.

To the OP: Maybe Spanish teacher? Although if she doesn't speak Japanese it might not work out so well.
              Maybe one of the international schools needs a Spanish teacher for the next school year or something.

Helpfully,
              A.
              Last edited by Agitator; 2012-02-09, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agitator View Post
                Better add those to your CV. Assuming you can use both utensils properly, that is.

A.
                In your case its being able to read without your lips moving. Wearing matching colored socks every day.

Comment

if she could make diet friendly mexican food, I would employ her, seriously Why does good food have to have so many calories....

Comment

You are probably getting the general idea by now that any non-teaching positions she pursues will probably require a fair amount of Japanese language skills. Thai wife of a colleague of mine taught cooking and dance classes at home. She learned Japanese quicker than her husband because of the deeper immersion her life held.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I think her English is good enough to easily teach Kinder or Elementary levels and she does not have a strong accent. What is the situation regarding teachers and visas though ? Are there English teaching jobs available for non native speakers ?

We are in Korea at the moment and over here you need to be a native English speaker to work as a teacher and cannot work on a dependent visa at all which is pretty frustrating.

Yes the Mexican food idea would be good and yes it is possible to make it healthy, I think that would be something better pursued when we are there though and have learnt some Japanese

From what I have read she could not qualify as the primary visa holder in Japan because she doesnt have 12 years education in an English speaking country, but as a dependent if she found a part time job in a kinder or something she can get permission to work ?.. Anyone know if this is the case or have experience doing this ?

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I think her English is good enough to easily teach Kinder or Elementary levels and she does not have a strong accent. What is the situation regarding teachers and visas though ? Are there English teaching jobs available for non native speakers ?

We are in Korea at the moment and over here you need to be a native English speaker to work as a teacher and cannot work on a dependent visa at all which is pretty frustrating.

Yes the Mexican food idea would be good and yes it is possible to make it healthy, I think that would be something better pursued when we are there though and have learnt some Japanese

From what I have read she could not qualify as the primary visa holder in Japan because she doesnt have 12 years education in an English speaking country, but as a dependent if she found a part time job in a kinder or something she can get permission to work ?.. Anyone know if this is the case or have experience doing this ?
                        I think she has to apply for a "permission to engage in an activity other than that specified in the visa" (or something like that from memory).

If i remember correctly, she does need to specify the details of the job when applying (company name, hours a week.. maybe income.. maybe..)

As for non-native speaker.. I have met people in Japan who were non-native speakers and who i had trouble understanding in English..
                        one was an English teacher in a small school.. one was an ALT.

If you have the opportunity, you may want to check with the consulate there before you come and check what the deal is.

Comment

But are you legally allowed to work as an English teacher if you are not a native speaker ? Here in Korea you are not.

I have looked in the Japan immigration page and it doesnt say, it just says you cant work in the "adult entertainment industry "

Comment

But are you legally allowed to work as an English teacher if you are not a native speaker ? Here in Korea you are not.

I have looked in the Japan immigration page and it doesn't say, it just says you cant work in the "adult entertainment industry "
                            "As for non-native speaker.. I have met people in Japan who were non-native speakers and who i had trouble understanding in English..
                            one was an English teacher in a small school.. one was an ALT."

Yes.

Again...
                            "If you have the opportunity, you may want to check with the consulate there before you come and check what the deal is."

Comment

I have looked in the Japan immigration page and it doesnt say, it just says you cant work in the "adult entertainment industry "
                              This is not Korea. You can work on a dependent visa if you have permission. If you do work without permission she risks having her visa revoked.

She can work in any job except the adult industry as long as an employer deems her qualified and is allowed to work.

She might also want to consider teaching privates at home on such sites as http://www.findateacher.net

Comment

Working...
                              X