Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First month of work and national holiday

Hey guys,

I started to work the 26th of December 2011. Regular job (9am-6pm, Mon-Fri), with a fixed monthly salary.
    Yesterday I got my first salary for the period : Dec-21 to Jan-20.
    My number of working days for this period is 17. I was surprise, because I can count 20 days ! But we had 3 national holidays ( 20 - 3 = 17).

Is it normal, that for the first month they don't consider the national holiday as "working days" ?

Is it because the pay month is from the 21st but you worked from the 26th?

Either way I think it would be better to ask your company, politely, to explain how they made their calculation, then go from there if you think it's unfair.

By the by there is no automatic guarantee of a paid day off for a national holiday, so if you didn't work on those days then the company has no obligation to pay you. Most companies do grant the day off paid for national holidays, but they don't have to. If they don't I would have thought it would be in their interests to mention it - have you checked what it says in your contract and in the company's rules of employment?

Comment

Usually companies have a fixed number of days they use as a base, and when prorating your pay, for each day you miss they subtract from that baseline. It's a scam, but are you really going to complain? It would be futile, and just make you look bad.

Comment

Yes it's just for the 1st month. After that my salary is fixed no matter how many national days there are.

"It would be futile, and just make you look bad. " --> I didn't complain, but just asked a question
        So I talked with the girl who is in charge, and she said it's normal.
        I think it's unfair... but that's life I guess

Comment

Originally posted by dalf View Post
          Yes it's just for the 1st month. After that my salary is fixed no matter how many national days there are.

"It would be futile, and just make you look bad. " --> I didn't complain, but just asked a question
          So I talked with the girl who is in charge, and she said it's normal.
          I think it's unfair... but that's life I guess
          Life is never fair and you will understand that better the longer you live here.

Comment

I was pointing out that complaining would make you look bad, not saying that you were complaining.

Comment

Is it normal, that for the first month they don't consider the national holiday as "working days" ?
              A national holiday is a day when you don't work and by extension, you don't get paid for it if your boss closes the school. The government mandates you take a day off but the employer is not obliged to pay you for it unless its considered part of your paid vacation, unlikely in your first month on the job.

Comment

Working...
              X