Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to begin?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse



X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where to begin?

    It has been my dream to move to Japan from a young age. I took Japanese for two years in high school. My boyfriend shares this dream, we have been together for six years now. We are at the point of planning how to make this dream possible. My boyfriend has five years experience in landscaping and land services. I have my Associates Degree in Business Administration and concentrated my studies on medical billing and coding. I an skilled with ICD-9, the International Classification of Disease that the World Health Organization requires the international use of and am gaining skills in ICD-10, the newest revision.

    I am a bit confused as to what level of education I will need. Should I go on to my Bachelors degree in Business Administration to increase my chances of obtaining a work visa in the future or is this degree useless in obtaining a Visa? Or is an Associates Degree high enough? What are the job prospects for medical billing and coding in Japan? I know I would need to relearn some code sets as I don't believe CPT or HCPCS are international coding systems as well as how claims are submitted.

    If Business Administration is not going to help obtain a visa and employment than what degree along those same lines would be better?

    This is something we wish to work to in the next five or so years, not next year. Would my boyfriend be able to get a skilled labor visa in land services and landscaping or heavy machine operation? By that time he would have a total of ten steady years in this field. What are job prospects in this field?

    Also, if anyone happens to know if it would be possible to bring a ____atoo into Japan that information would be helpful so I know in advance if I will need to find a home for our bird.

    How much money should we set as a target to save to for the move? I know the more the better.

    One last thing, I plan on taking the JLPT tests, what level would be best for me to have passed at the time of the move?

    This is not something I want to do this year or next year but something I want to work to and do properly after all student loans are paid off. I have been to Japan twice in High school with my class. I am continuing my language study and my boyfriend is studying the language as well. We want to do this, but we want to do it right.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Sinthea View Post
    It has been my dream to move to Japan from a young age. I took Japanese for two years in high school. My boyfriend shares this dream, we have been together for six years now. We are at the point of planning how to make this dream possible. My boyfriend has five years experience in landscaping and land services. I have my Associates Degree in Business Administration and concentrated my studies on medical billing and coding. I an skilled with ICD-9, the International Classification of Disease that the World Health Organization requires the international use of and am gaining skills in ICD-10, the newest revision.

    I am a bit confused as to what level of education I will need. Should I go on to my Bachelors degree in Business Administration to increase my chances of obtaining a work visa in the future or is this degree useless in obtaining a Visa? Or is an Associates Degree high enough? What are the job prospects for medical billing and coding in Japan? I know I would need to relearn some code sets as I don't believe CPT or HCPCS are international coding systems as well as how claims are submitted.

    If Business Administration is not going to help obtain a visa and employment than what degree along those same lines would be better?

    This is something we wish to work to in the next five or so years, not next year. Would my boyfriend be able to get a skilled labor visa in land services and landscaping or heavy machine operation? By that time he would have a total of ten steady years in this field. What are job prospects in this field?

    Also, if anyone happens to know if it would be possible to bring a ____atoo into Japan that information would be helpful so I know in advance if I will need to find a home for our bird.

    How much money should we set as a target to save to for the move? I know the more the better.

    One last thing, I plan on taking the JLPT tests, what level would be best for me to have passed at the time of the move?

    This is not something I want to do this year or next year but something I want to work to and do properly after all student loans are paid off. I have been to Japan twice in High school with my class. I am continuing my language study and my boyfriend is studying the language as well. We want to do this, but we want to do it right.
    Do it right. Study the language as much as possible to become fluent and be able to read and write. Then you will have more chances to find a job. I came here with a basic knowledge of survival Japanese conversational and absolute illiteracy in regards of reading and writing. I barely know the Katakana and Hiragana. And all my degrees then dont count. I am sorry.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
      Do it right. Study the language as much as possible to become fluent and be able to read and write. Then you will have more chances to find a job. I came here with a basic knowledge of survival Japanese conversational and absolute illiteracy in regards of reading and writing. I barely know the Katakana and Hiragana. And all my degrees then dont count. I am sorry.
      I do know both Hiragana and Katakana. Currently am working on expanding my vocabulary and moving past what I learned in High School I do know some Kanji and am working on learning as many Kanji as I possibly can as well. It is our intention to know as much as we can before we make the move. I am also looking for ways to relearn medical terminology in Japanese.

      Comment


      • #4
        Money money money

        To move over here, I recommend to have at least 2000000 Yen in savings for both of you.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
          To move over here, I recommend to have at least 2000000 Yen in savings for both of you.
          okay than. Sounds reasonable. I probably make it a goal to have more than that. Probably want a good amount set aside for emergencies as well. Thank you!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sinthea View Post
            I do know both Hiragana and Katakana. Currently am working on expanding my vocabulary and moving past what I learned in High School I do know some Kanji and am working on learning as many Kanji as I possibly can as well. It is our intention to know as much as we can before we make the move. I am also looking for ways to relearn medical terminology in Japanese.
            My goal is to know at least 2000 Kanji before I make the next move. For the time being it seems I have to stick with an Eikaiwa or ALT. For you knowing the medical terminology will be an advantage. Go for.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
              My goal is to know at least 2000 Kanji before I make the next move. For the time being it seems I have to stick with an Eikaiwa or ALT. For you knowing the medical terminology will be an advantage. Go for.
              2,000 Kanji. Seems terrifyingly reasonable.

              As for the JLPT, what level should I make my goal to pass? I feel that having passed any level of the test will be helpful in showing that I do actually know some of the language.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sinthea View Post
                2,000 Kanji. Seems terrifyingly reasonable.

                As for the JLPT, what level should I make my goal to pass? I feel that having passed any level of the test will be helpful in showing that I do actually know some of the language.
                You are right. Any level is OK, as long as you can communicate fluently. I dont go to school for Japanese and never did. I am a self learner, actually it is the only communication language between me and my husband.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
                  You are right. Any level is OK, as long as you can communicate fluently. I dont go to school for Japanese and never did. I am a self learner, actually it is the only communication language between me and my husband.
                  Any level is good? But what would be recommended do you think? My boyfriend is a self learner, my High School is one of the only ones in Alaska, USA that offers Japanese as a class and he couldn't get transferred to take it. He is currently using my old textbooks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sinthea View Post
                    Any level is good? But what would be recommended do you think? My boyfriend is a self learner, my High School is one of the only ones in Alaska, USA that offers Japanese as a class and he couldn't get transferred to take it. He is currently using my old textbooks.
                    Of course, the higher level of Japanese the better. And talk with you boyfriend Japanese at home some times. It helps. For your boyfriend will be OK to know as much of the language as possible. He is specialized in the landscaping, he will be able to find a job here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
                      Of course, the higher level of Japanese the better. And talk with you boyfriend Japanese at home some times. It helps. For your boyfriend will be OK to know as much of the language as possible. He is specialized in the landscaping, he will be able to find a job here.
                      It's good to know that he will be able to find work in his field. So with enough years of experience he shouldn't have a issue with obtaining a work visa?

                      And would I be able to obtain one as well with a 2year degree in Business Administration?

                      By the way, Thank you so much for your quick answers to my questions. It really means a lot to me, information can be hard to find on the internet.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sinthea View Post
                        It's good to know that he will be able to find work in his field. So with enough years of experience he shouldn't have a issue with obtaining a work visa?

                        And would I be able to obtain one as well with a 2year degree in Business Administration?

                        By the way, Thank you so much for your quick answers to my questions. It really means a lot to me, information can be hard to find on the internet.
                        I personally have not much experience with the working visa. You might get help from KansaiBen when she comes Online. She seems to be the most expert in this matter. Your qualifications seem enough to me. I recommend you try looking for job from Alaska or where ever you are located right now. For the working visa, you will need to find an employer who will be glad to sponsor your visa. Expect a lot of negative answers from KB. I recommend you dont get discouraged and try it anyway. Start sending your resumes to employers whenever you are ready for.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kiboo View Post
                          I personally have not much experience with the working visa. You might get help from KansaiBen when she comes Online. She seems to be the most expert in this matter. Your qualifications seem enough to me. I recommend you try looking for job from Alaska or where ever you are located right now. For the working visa, you will need to find an employer who will be glad to sponsor your visa. Expect a lot of negative answers from KB. I recommend you dont get discouraged and try it anyway. Start sending your resumes to employers whenever you are ready for.
                          I'm hard to discourage, I spend two years of my Japanese teacher telling me every day that I would "never get it". I don't give up. I do understand finding work before I go, that seems the most responsible choice. KansaiBen is free to give me all the negative answers she wishes, I simply hope that my wanting to take the move slow and plan years in advance is enough to earn some respect and support in her eyes. I have gotten a lot of negativity and disrespect in other places for wishing to make this move.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sinthea View Post
                            I'm hard to discourage, I spend two years of my Japanese teacher telling me every day that I would "never get it". I don't give up. I do understand finding work before I go, that seems the most responsible choice. KansaiBen is free to give me all the negative answers she wishes, I simply hope that my wanting to take the move slow and plan years in advance is enough to earn some respect and support in her eyes. I have gotten a lot of negativity and disrespect in other places for wishing to make this move.
                            Welcome to the Club!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by beentheredonethat
                              I cannot see much hope except for teaching English and you already have a degree. That could allow you to bring your partner over as a spouse (which will allows him to do 20 hours work, I think). It's unusual to be done female + male but I know one couple who did just that. She got a job in a University, as you could, and he worked part-time and did music part-time.

                              Come now. I don't see you improving your chances. I don't see how you could get any other sort of work/visa and without a degree, I don't see how your partner will get in at all.

                              If you partner can use heavy earth shifting equipment, he could still volunteer up in Tokohu area right now. I imagine they need teachers up there too.

                              It would probably be a different experience from the obvious one but very rewarding.

                              The Japanese School year begins in April.
                              Thank you for the advice, beentheredonethat. I have thought about teaching English as well. I would think that with as many people as there are wanting to go to Japan and teach English getting hired would be more difficult than just having a degree in something. If I where to take some extra English classes to refine my grasp on English grammar and the finer points of the language would that be helpful in obtaining employment as a English teacher?

                              And yes, my partner can use heavy earth moving equipment. But again, this is not a move I am looking to complete for a few years. I am just looking to find ways to prepare for it and make it easier rather than saving money and rashly deciding to move to Japan five years down the road.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X