Applying for a Job in Japan from Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for a Job in Japan from Canada

I presume this question been thrown out a many, but I was wondering if it's still applicable to apply for a job in Japan while still in Canada. As of late, I've been throwing resumes out there, but do I really have to be in Japan to get these positions? I mean of course there's priority standard for those already living in Japan, but so far on the Gaijinpot jobs section it's been all (must currently reside in Japan)..

Any advice? websites that will allow you to send resumes from outside of Japan to companies inside?

Originally posted by xFatalDMG View Post
    I presume this question been thrown out a many, but I was wondering if it's still applicable to apply for a job in Japan while still in Canada. As of late, I've been throwing resumes out there, but do I really have to be in Japan to get these positions? I mean of course there's priority standard for those already living in Japan, but so far on the Gaijinpot jobs section it's been all (must currently reside in Japan)..

Any advice? websites that will allow you to send resumes from outside of Japan to companies inside?
    Only a few companies hire candidates who are overseas. Google Interac, ALTIA and perhaps Berlitz. Language House in Takamatsu.

Comment

So would you say my chances are low with regards to applying to positions in Japan before leaving there? I just want to set myself up with a job before heading over there jobless.

Mind you, I'm not looking for a teaching job but rather a job in my field which is Sales/Consulting.

Comment

So would you say my chances are low with regards to applying to positions in Japan before leaving there? I just want to set myself up with a job before heading over there jobless.

Mind you, I'm not looking for a teaching job but rather a job in my field which is Sales/Consulting.
        Most employers want to meet you in person before sponsoring your visa and arranging accomodation. Would you hire someone you have met and just based on a couple of emails? Probably not. They have no guarantee you will even get on the plane once you are offered a job. If you contact employers tell them when you will arrive here and you can schedule interviews as soon as you step off the plane rather than running around chasing up leads. Look up the Ohayo Sensei Dot Com page

There are some less than reputable companies that will hire green noobies off the boat rather than look for people already working here. You have to do your homework on which companies to apply for. Some schools also are in rural locations and many new people dont want to work in a town with one traffic light and surrounded by rice paddies (just kidding). I worked in Shikoku my first year and I can only say it was an enjoyable experience as you get to see the "real" Japan, not just a big impersonal city. The job is really what you make of it.

If you are looking for jobs in Sales and consulting I would say your chances are slim if you dont speak Japanese. For non teaching jobs go to Jobs In Japan Dot Com, or Dai=Job Dot Com
        Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-04-10, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for that information! Truly appreciated. I can speak Japanese so that part I wasn't really concerned with, just finding a job was the part that seemed a bit daunting. I feel you've answered my question thoroughly and once again I appreciate it.

As far as working in a rural area to kind of get a "kick-start", I'm down for that. As aforementioned in your post, you make the best of what you have and enjoy it. Seeing the "real" Japan would be an experience rather than having none.

I'll look around on the websites you've mentioned and will definitely contact these employers post-sending my resume through to them.

Comment

It all depends on the job and the company. We've done Video interviews with candidates from abroad and asked people in head office to interview them as well. Some companies don't do this as a rule to e.g. avoid getting swamped with 100s of candidates from developing countries who's chances of getting a visa are slim.
            But somehow it's a chicken-and-egg thing. Something in the middle might be to set a time for your move to Japan and already send out applications before and lining up interviews, telling that you will be in Japan from a certain date.

Comment

That's similar to what Kansai mentioned, where its more suitable to formulate a plan of action before sending out a resume, or rather even after sending it out. What I'll do from now on is try to contact the company by email to notify them of my plans and when I hope to be in Japan.

Another thing I'l start doing is contacting the Japanese Embassy in my area and see how long it takes to get a Visa. Under the Canadian Government policy, any citizen is allowed to stay in Japan for 90 days without Visa but I'll look into that also.

I'm very determined to land a job in Japan, just so I'm not carrying luggage around without a job in place.

Comment

You can speak Japanese. Ok, what level?
                And, can you read it, too? Lots of office memos, advertising brochures, email, etc. are sent in Japanese. Also, some bilingual career sites might post only in Japanese.

You could look for a foreign office with a branch in Japan, or get a job for a year with a Canadian company in Canada (then transfer, which requires a year), or look at job fairs if there are any in your field, or look into internships.

Comment

Under the Canadian Government policy, any citizen is allowed to stay in Japan for 90 days without Visa but I'll look into that also.
                  The Canadian government does not set Japan policy. I think what you meant is that under an agreement between the Canadian and Japanese governments, the Japanese government allows Canadian citizens to stay in Japan for 90 days without a visa. You cannot work under this status however, and I think that you technically aren't even supposed to be looking for jobs, though many people do it and it's not something I'd worry about.

Comment

I found this

Full-time, 40 hours/week, 30 teaching hours/week, 6 days/week including Saturdays. 250,000yen/month. Teach students of different age groups (especially little kids) in small classes, and perform simple children songs and dances. Teaching location Kagoshima. Native English speaker, four-year university degree, TESL/ESL certification, and teaching certification required. Relevant teaching experience, knowledge of Cambridge YLE exams, and "Canadian" preferred. Applicant NOT required to reside in Japan. Will sponsor or renew visa. Full training. Paid summer and winter holidays. Position begins September, 2012. Apply by e-mail with CV/resume, letter of introduction, recent photo, availability, and 2-3 professional references (names with their e-mail and contact information and phone numbers). "We will only contact suitable candidate to arrange for an interview, a Skype interview is OK." Contact Sam. G-wiz Language School. 302 Shinseido, Izuro Bldg, 19-3 Horie Cho Kagoshima City.
                    mailto:gwizjp@yahoo.co.jp
                    http://g-wiz.info

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                      You can speak Japanese. Ok, what level?
                      And, can you read it, too? Lots of office memos, advertising brochures, email, etc. are sent in Japanese. Also, some bilingual career sites might post only in Japanese.

To OP: This is very important advice he is giving you.
                      There are lots of good jobs with decent pay for experienced people who speak business or fluent Japanese AND can read and write fluently.)

For all others, Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by candyjon2002 View Post
                        and "Canadian" preferred.
                        What tha hell, eh?
                        I never realized Canadians were preferred for anything.
                        Except maybe being nice to everyone.

Comment

Another thing I'l start doing is contacting the Japanese Embassy in my area and see how long it takes to get a Visa. Under the Canadian Government policy, any citizen is allowed to stay in Japan for 90 days without Visa but I'll look into that also.

I'm very determined to land a job in Japan, just so I'm not carrying luggage around without a job in place.
                          You will only get a working visa if you have a job lined up. The alternative is the WHV visa that lets you work right away and would lower the bar for any company that wants to hire you.

Comment

Originally posted by candyjon2002 View Post
                            I "We will only contact suitable candidate to arrange for an interview, a Skype interview is OK." Contact Sam. G-wiz Language School. 302 Shinseido, Izuro Bldg, 19-3 Horie Cho Kagoshima City.
                            mailto:gwizjp@yahoo.co.jp
                            http://g-wiz.info
                            You do realise where Kagoshima is do you? Its at the arse-end of Kyushu which is in the far west of Japan. The next stop after that is Okinawa. As long as you dont mind being near Tokyo it will be a good fit for you.

They also have a pretty thick dialect in Kagoshima as well.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, your input is greatly appreciated! I managed to actually get a few return emails from employers, but got turned down not because of my resume but just because the position had been filled.. So I'm still feeling very confident that it is possible!

I'll look into that Kagoshima position, but I'd like to be somewhat close to Tokyo. Is Fukuoka nearby at all?

I'm assuming that "WHV" is working holiday. I'll be frank, I can read Japanese but Kanji is an area where I still need time to grasp. Hirigana/Katakana I can read fluently. Speaking is more conversational but I'm working towards business level. It becomes a bit harder when you're not really IN Japan, but my Japanese friends help me greatly.

Comment

Working...
                              X