Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Collapse

Already have a job I can do overseas- but can I?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Already have a job I can do overseas- but can I?

    Howdy, just looking to get some advice.

    Basically, I have a job that allows me to work from home, and my boss is fine with me taking off to Japan for a few months to do it there. I speak Japanese pretty confidently, and have been there before and know pretty much where I want to be (Osaka city).

    I've done some research already, and have found a few short-term accommodation places that would be pricey but suitable. As long as it has an internet connection, I can do my job from anywhere.

    However, I'm a little concerned about the wages thing.

    My intention would be to go as a tourist (under 90 days) and simply get paid like normal into my bank account back home, and withdraw it from a Post Office or 7/11 using a bank card that functions just like a Visa (but not actually a credit card). The fees last time I did this were quite low, around $2 for every $100 I spent. Not ideal but manageable. Will this work for the whole 2 months? Are there any problems I'm not envisioning/could expect to run into?

    The other thing is taxes. I cannot apply for a working holiday visa as I will not be working for a Japanese company. I will be working for my old company back home, just remotely. Will I need to pay any taxes in Japan? I can't see how I will, since there's no way for them to even know that I'm working here, but I don't want any nasty surprises so I just thought I would check.

    Lastly if you can think of any other major loop holes in my plan (go to Japan as tourist > work for 2 months at current company > get paid like normal, withdraw money through VISA > spend 1 month travelling) I would love to know now rather than later, that's for sure!!

    Also if you have any advice for me to help make this plan really work, I would greatly appreciate it. I love Japan, and I really want to spend more time there than just a holiday, and this could be a good way I think.

    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by hellokittybaby; 2012-04-16, 05:54 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by hellokittybaby View Post
    My intention would be to go as a tourist (under 90 days) and simply get paid like normal into my bank account back home, and withdraw it from a Post Office or 7/11 using a bank card that functions just like a Visa (but not actually a credit card). The fees last time I did this were quite low, around $2 for every $100 I spent. Not ideal but manageable. Will this work for the whole 2 months? Are there any problems I'm not envisioning/could expect to run into?
    Problem may be opening a Post Office account while on a tourist visa. Not sure but you may need an address and show your Alien Registration card.

    The other thing is taxes. I cannot apply for a working holiday visa as I will not be working for a Japanese company. I will be working for my old company back home, just remotely. Will I need to pay any taxes in Japan? I can't see how I will, since there's no way for them to even know that I'm working here, but I don't want any nasty surprises so I just thought I would check.
    As you are not working for a Japanese company you wont be paying taxes in Japan. Effectively its under the table and under the radar of Japanese immigration. Just do not declare you will be working when you come here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
      Problem may be opening a Post Office account while on a tourist visa. Not sure but you may need an address and show your Alien Registration card.
      Do I need to open a Post Office account just to withdraw money from an ATM? I understood that the ATMs in places like 7/11's accept foreign credit cards such as Visa, is that incorrect?

      Damn cash society!

      As you are not working for a Japanese company you wont be paying taxes in Japan. Effectively its under the table and under the radar of Japanese immigration. Just do not declare you will be working when you come here.
      Ok cool, will keep my head down!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by hellokittybaby View Post
        Do I need to open a Post Office account just to withdraw money from an ATM? I understood that the ATMs in places like 7/11's accept foreign credit cards such as Visa, is that incorrect?
        Many convenience stores now have ATMs so its possible to use credit cards. I think if the cards are part of the Cirrus network it can be used as well. Never used ATM for foreign cards myself (I have an AMEX but it a Japanese one) so Im not sure.

        Ok cool, will keep my head down!
        Lots of foreign businessmen come here on short business trips and work out of their hotel rooms etc.

        That begs the question of where you will stay- short term hostels or gaijin dorms are your only option here, or LeoPalace apartments.

        Comment


        • #5
          Also since I'm here, I'd love to get some feedback on the following question: basically, all my friends and contacts are in the Osaka region, with a few skewed towards Kobe direction. I've mainly been looking at temporary lodgings around the central area (near Namba and Osaka-jou) but it occurs to me that it's probably cheaper if I headed out away from the city centre a little? I spent a month near Sakai city so I'm familiar with there, but I've also heard things about a cool Arts University near Ikeda?

          If anyone could recommend places to look for temporary lodging (probably around 2 months) that might be a little better/cheaper than in the central city that would be extremely useful!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
            Many convenience stores now have ATMs so its possible to use credit cards. I think if the cards are part of the Cirrus network it can be used as well. Never used ATM for foreign cards myself (I have an AMEX but it a Japanese one) so Im not sure.
            Yes, last time I was in Japan it was no trouble using my works-like-a-Visa card for shopping and things, but I really need a way of accessing cash. Japan-guide says the ATMs in 7/11s now let you withdraw from foreign cards, but I just thought I'd check here for physical confirmation. Would suck to get there and be declined, that's for sure!!



            Lots of foreign businessmen come here on short business trips and work out of their hotel rooms etc.

            That begs the question of where you will stay- short term hostels or gaijin dorms are your only option here, or LeoPalace apartments.
            I've been doing a lot of research into this, and I'm thinking a short term hostel somewhere will be my only option. If it has internet, I'm happy! It'll be pretty pricey, but I'll be earning weekly wages, and I don't mind topping it off from my savings. It's still a holiday, after all! I'm just working too.

            Are there any places I should stay away from entirely? Any warning signs to tell me it's not going to be a pleasant stay?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hellokittybaby View Post
              If anyone could recommend places to look for temporary lodging (probably around 2 months) that might be a little better/cheaper than in the central city that would be extremely useful!
              You may not know it but Daikokucho (one stop past Namba) is now quite popular with tourists, area was very seedy with lots of homeless and day laborers around but there are a lot of cheap hotels in the area. I know of one gaijin hostel just east of Shin Imamiya (about 5 mins walk) station., rooms are about 2,000 yen a night or so for a 6 tatami mat room. The reception also speaks English.

              Orange House and Banana House are also quite popular as well but they are further south of Tennoji.

              If you are a guy there are no real no-go areas but Shin Imamiya and Hamazaki south of there are pretty seedy. Lots of cheap eateries though. I have heard of some yakuza being around Kyobashi but they usually leave foreigners alone unless you antagonise them.

              Found this, Hotel Toyo 1,500 yen a night for 10 nights, 3 mins walk from Shin Imamiya. Internet access and Wifi.

              http://www.hotel-toyo.jp/room.html
              Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-04-16, 06:15 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                You may not know it but Daikokucho (one stop past Namba) is now quite popular with tourists, area was very seedy with lots of homeless and day laborers around but there are a lot of cheap hotels in the area. I know of one gaijin hostel just east of Shin Imamiya (about 5 mins walk) station., rooms are about 2,000 yen a night or so for a 6 tatami mat room. The reception also speaks English.

                Orange House and Banana House are also quite popular as well but they are further south of Tennoji.

                If you are a guy there are no real no-go areas but Shin Imamiya and Hamazaki south of there are pretty seedy. Lots of cheap eateries though. I have heard of some yakuza being around Kyobashi but they usually leave foreigners alone unless you antagonise them.

                Found this, Hotel Toyo 1,500 yen a night for 10 nights, 3 mins walk from Shin Imamiya. Internet access and Wifi.

                http://www.hotel-toyo.jp/room.html
                Surprisingly enough with a name like hellokittybaby, I am a girl. How "seedy" would seedy be? Since I'll be offsetting the timezone, I'll be working til 6pm and going out after that in the evenings- would I need to be worried?

                Found this, Hotel Toyo 1,500 yen a night for 10 nights, 3 mins walk from Shin Imamiya. Internet access and Wifi.
                Dang, that's cheap! Even the larger room with the fridge is cheaper than a lot I've found. A quick currency conversion tells me I'll get roughly 46,000 yen per week from my job, possibly more if I work the full 40 hours. So I wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra for something that will be a bit nicer, I think. But anything with an actual kitchen unit inside seems to be through the roof.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hellokittybaby View Post
                  Surprisingly enough with a name like hellokittybaby, I am a girl. How "seedy" would seedy be? Since I'll be offsetting the timezone, I'll be working til 6pm and going out after that in the evenings- would I need to be worried?
                  Big cities like Osaka, believe it or not are pretty safe, even for women. Its safe for you to be walking around even at 1am.

                  You could walk home from Namba to ShinImamiya its about a 20 minute walk. The area has been gentrified a bit as the day labor market has pretty much dried up, there is not so much work now. Mostly its people who work on construction sites, scaffolders, do odd jobs etc, a few homeless people. Some place will smell of urine and near Tennoji zoo you will see tent cities of blue tarpaulins. Even the homeless have their own society and pecking order etc. Tennoji which is quite close is a bustling place and has been done up, lots of nice shops and restaurants, there is a gaijin bar in Tennoji too.

                  Dang, that's cheap! Even the larger room with the fridge is cheaper than a lot I've found. A quick currency conversion tells me I'll get roughly 46,000 yen per week from my job, possibly more if I work the full 40 hours. So I wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra for something that will be a bit nicer, I think. But anything with an actual kitchen unit inside seems to be through the roof.
                  My advice would be to buy a small portable fridge, the sort of thing you can take on picnics. Dont hold very much but if you buy food every day you should be OK. All you need is a place to crash really.

                  The Banana house is a hostel, its about 55,000 yen a month for a room.

                  http://www.guesthouseosaka.com/en/banana/rent.html
                  Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-04-16, 06:37 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Less seedy than anywhere else in the world..unless you're from Singapore.
                    Your plan sounds alright. I use a foreign card at the atm and it works fine. I would have a bit of cash and a back up plan (Western Union?) just in case. Forget travelers checks., that's for sure.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                      Big cities like Osaka, believe it or not are pretty safe, even for women. Its safe for you to be walking around even at 1am.

                      You could walk home from Namba to ShinImamiya its about a 20 minute walk. The area has been gentrified a bit as the day labor market has pretty much dried up, there is not so much work now. Mostly its people who work on construction sites, scaffolders, do odd jobs etc, a few homeless people. Some place will smell of urine and near Tennoji zoo you will see tent cities of blue tarpaulins. Even the homeless have their own society and pecking order etc. Tennoji which is quite close is a bustling place and has been done up, lots of nice shops and restaurants, there is a gaijin bar in Tennoji too.
                      Interesting! All that non-touristy side of Japan really fascinates me, but I'm not sure how much I'd want to live it exactly. But it's nice to know it's fairly safe.

                      My advice would be to buy a small portable fridge, the sort of thing you can take on picnics. Dont hold very much but if you buy food every day you should be OK. All you need is a place to crash really.

                      The Banana house is a hostel, its about 55,000 yen a month for a room.

                      http://www.guesthouseosaka.com/en/banana/rent.html
                      Wow, that could be good! I like the idea of a quieter location, out in the suburbs a bit.

                      Would you happen to know anything about the Apple House? http://www.guesthouseosaka.com/en/apple/index.html It's a bit more expensive, but all the rooms are self-contained, which I would VASTLY prefer. Would there be anything I should watch out for in terms of the location, etc?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
                        Less seedy than anywhere else in the world..unless you're from Singapore.
                        Your plan sounds alright. I use a foreign card at the atm and it works fine. I would have a bit of cash and a back up plan (Western Union?) just in case. Forget travelers checks., that's for sure.
                        Awesome, thanks for the confirmation!

                        I've never actually heard of Western Union before, how does it work? Are there agents in Japan you can send money to for a designated person to collect?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hellokittybaby View Post
                          Awesome, thanks for the confirmation!

                          I've never actually heard of Western Union before, how does it work? Are there agents in Japan you can send money to for a designated person to collect?
                          Yeah something like that.... they have an advertisement at the top of this website usually.
                          I think someone goes to their western union office. Puts in money, you get cash at the other end. I think it's really simple. Probably just need someone at home you can trust to put in the money...
                          For real though. Credit card SHOULD be O.K. Try the post office a.t.ms They are usually the most foreign card friendly.
                          Good luck! I am sure you will enjoy your time.
                          As to accommodation the above advice sounded good or you could get a list of business hotels and call them and ask if they will do you some kind of long-term rate.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by hellokittybaby View Post
                            Would you happen to know anything about the Apple House? http://www.guesthouseosaka.com/en/apple/index.html It's a bit more expensive, but all the rooms are self-contained, which I would VASTLY prefer. Would there be anything I should watch out for in terms of the location, etc?
                            Daikokucho is one stop from Namba, within spitting distance of all the pubs and night clubs of Minami and you could still crawl home at night. Not sure what else I can tell you. I dont think you will get into trouble unless you do something really stupid.

                            (I know one girl living in Kyushu who got blotto one night, managed to lose her shoes and the shirt/blouse she was wearing and still managed to come home in one piece).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
                              Yeah something like that.... they have an advertisement at the top of this website usually.
                              I think someone goes to their western union office. Puts in money, you get cash at the other end. I think it's really simple. Probably just need someone at home you can trust to put in the money...
                              For real though. Credit card SHOULD be O.K. Try the post office a.t.ms They are usually the most foreign card friendly.
                              Good luck! I am sure you will enjoy your time.
                              As to accommodation the above advice sounded good or you could get a list of business hotels and call them and ask if they will do you some kind of long-term rate.
                              Oh ok, phew!! Good to know Western Union is a back-up. I'll be able to get my parentals to put some money in for me if things get tight, so no worries! My Visa worked no problem last time though, so it should be all good.

                              Ahh, that's a good idea as well! Although I suppose the plus side to a hostel is that it will help you meet people during your stay. I'm pretty confident making friends in Japanese, so I'm really hoping not to get isolated while I'm working.

                              Thanks!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X