Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find a job in western Japan

Hello,

I live in Switzerland with my wife. She is tired to live in Europe so far from her family, and she wants to go back live in Japan.

She has great studies and great language skills and of course she is Japanese, so no problem for her to find in a job there.
    About me, I have no idea of how much it would be difficult. But as husband it is my responsibility to find a job first in order to be able to move there.

I was thinking that maybe in Kobe or Osaka I might get more chances as foreigner without living too far from the family.

I have a Software Engineer degree, and 3 years experience as Support Engineer in International Companies here in Switzerland.
    French and Portuguese are my mother tongues, English fluent, Japanese, German, Spanish and Italian conversational level, and I just started learning Mandarin.

I honestly do not care much about what kind of job, as long I earn enough money for my wife and me. Maybe I can find something related with my language skills ? Maybe working in the KIX Airport ?

The biggest problem might be that I cannot quit my comfortable situation in Switzerland without finding first something in Japan.

What do you think my friends ?

Rafael

Originally posted by rafael.pacheco View Post
    Hello,

I live in Switzerland with my wife. She is tired to live in Europe so far from her family, and she wants to go back live in Japan.

She has great studies and great language skills and of course she is Japanese, so no problem for her to find in a job there.
    About me, I have no idea of how much it would be difficult. But as husband it is my responsibility to find a job first in order to be able to move there.

I was thinking that maybe in Kobe or Osaka I might get more chances as foreigner without living too far from the family.

I have a Software Engineer degree, and 3 years experience as Support Engineer in International Companies here in Switzerland.
    French and Portuguese are my mother tongues, English fluent, Japanese, German, Spanish and Italian conversational level, and I just started learning Mandarin.

I honestly do not care much about what kind of job, as long I earn enough money for my wife and me. Maybe I can find something related with my language skills ? Maybe working in the KIX Airport ?

The biggest problem might be that I cannot quit my comfortable situation in Switzerland without finding first something in Japan.

What do you think my friends ?

Rafael

What is your wife's opinion on your job prospects??

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Are there any chances that your current company could post you to Japan ? Can you switch to a company in Switzerland that will post you to Japan after some initial training ?

Also check the panache jobs website.
      I'd say that there are a lot of swiss/french/.. companies that could use your skills, but mainly concentrated in the Tokyo area, not really Western Japan. A possible, but work-intensive approach woud be to go through the Swiss chamber of commerce membership list and start applying for companies for openings.

Also I'd discuss her prospects/intentions of contributing to the family income as living costs in Japan (especially housing) are much higher. If you are considering to have kids, also keep in mind that foreign schools cost in the range of Y 2 mio / year.

Comment

Tokyo is probably your best option.

As another poster noted, it might be an idea to contact Panache, an IT recruiter and get a reading around what your prospects are.

Comment

The good news is that with a Japanese wife, you can get a spousal visa and do any job that an employer feels you are qualified to do.

Comment

My wife does not really knows as in her city there are not so many foreigners. There are some unskilled Malaysian and Indian working in Mitsubishi factory, and that is all. I am working for the European Sport Organisation, so no way they send me to Japan...

Maybe you are right guys, in Tokyo I might get more chances with all this foreign companies.

Panache is someone in the forum ?

Thanks for your help

Comment

My wife does not really knows as in her city there are not so many foreigners. There are some unskilled Malaysian and Indian working in Mitsubishi factory, and that is all. ...Thanks for your help
              yea, that's the thing. As good as some here are at job placement for foreign people...(and there is an outstanding talent base here), a Japanese person can do all that with far less angst. ... and who better to look after your interests as far as your career and your well being than YOUR life partner?? I suggest to you that finding YOU a vocation that will satisfy you personally and financially becomes HER new job.

Jeez Louise, you could roll a dead hooker off a bed in this place and hit a guy whose wife is a complete shnook about finding her better half a job!

Comment

It is normal that she does not know the situation of employment for foreigners, there are not so many in Japan.

If I can find a job in IT or a job where I can contribute to the society with my languages skills I would be pretty happy.

By the way it would be so nice to move there. I really love Japan as country and Japanese mentality, even it is challenging to foreigners in my opinion.

Comment

It is normal that she does not know the situation of employment for foreigners, there are not so many in Japan.

not so many??? True, I have always said that when Saizai-san gets a foreign family to move in next door, that is the day we can celebrate. That was sarcasm. There are scads, just that some Japanese would rather not see as it is too painful to witness.

You do not hear the slightest din of alarm bells tolling in that she just has to get back to Japan and could not give a rat's arse or lift a finger when it comes to your vocation or future livelihood?

She has the language skills and the ability to build a network faster than anyone on this site towards the prospects of securing YOU a job you can both be happy with.
                  And she has a vested interest, no??

.... or did you mean not so many Japanese wives with a brain in their heads????

Comment

I do not know if you have problems with Japanese or Japan or what ever, but please leave this kind of comments for you and stop posting trash.

My wife helps me as much she can, but when it comes to find a job as foreigner it is obvious that she cannot do much.
                    I created this topic, because some people here may very likely share their experiences or give advices.

Comment

My wife helps me as much she can, but when it comes to find a job as foreigner it is obvious that she cannot do much.
                      Yeah, who knows what them foreigners do.
                      Just come here, within two months you'll see your options.

Comment

I do not know if you have problems with Japanese or Japan or what ever, but please leave this kind of comments for you and stop posting trash.

I created this topic, because some people here may very likely share their experiences or give advices.
                        Don't pay attention to well_bicyclically he's obviously bittered about his own situation and is now projecting this onto your situation. People like him feel the need to degrade others and reflect their own misery on others so they feel better about themselves.

Oh I just described 99% of all GaijinPot posters.

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii View Post
                          Don't pay attention to well_bicyclically he's obviously bittered about his own situation and is now projecting this onto your situation. People like him feel the need to degrade others and reflect their own misery on others so they feel better about themselves.

Oh I just described 99% of all GaijinPot posters.

This coming from a guy who cannot wait to see his home country in the rear view mirror and have a chance to get his dyke finger wet for the first time....

....actually, I am more bittered about the situation of the others around me. Granted, they all make me look good, but it is lonely at the top...

Comment

Working...
                          X