X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBA graduate looking some suggestions

I apologize if this is redundant to some other threads. I read through some other threads, but wasn't able to find exact answers to some of my questions at are applicable to me.
    I will do the basics that are usually asked in each thread (such as my experience, etc) to make it easier.

Experience:
    I'm have a BBA in Accounting and an MBA in International Management from a US state school. I did my schooling non-stop, so I'm 24.
    I am currently in Korea because I took a few classes through an exchange program. I enjoyed Japan more than Korea, so I'd like to go back rather than trying to find employment here or going back to the US right away.

I have working experience in the US for construction and sales, and experience in Korea for EPC and teaching (Global operations strategy, not English).
    My working experience is kind of scattered (4 years part-time construction management/accounting, 1 year sales, 3 months EPC, and 4 months teaching). I also have a few years experience with the financial markets (mostly stock and options trading). I have experience in the automotive markets as well (mostly track racing, repair, and maintenance).

I've tried a few websites for Japan job postings, linkedin, and a few recruitment websites, but all were fairly useless. Some of the big companies websites are outdated, or have no postings in English (which makes it difficult for me).
    I've read through the forums, and it seems like Japanese language skills are not required for some business/financial jobs, which is good for me, because my Japanese is very limited.

Questions:
    1. Since my experience is fairy scattered, would it be difficult to find a business job in Japan? Would I have to obtain a few more years in one specific sector to be able to get such a job?
    2. Is there any recommended ways to finding jobs in Japan without physically being there? Since the online method isn't working so well.
    Or any suggestions on useful ways of finding business jobs in Japan online would be extremely helpful as well.

Originally posted by Voodoomouse View Post
    Questions:
    1. Since my experience is fairy scattered, would it be difficult to find a business job in Japan? Would I have to obtain a few more years in one specific sector to be able to get such a job?
    2. Is there any recommended ways to finding jobs in Japan without physically being there? Since the online method isn't working so well.
    Or any suggestions on useful ways of finding business jobs in Japan online would be extremely helpful as well.

Use the big name recruiters – in Tokyo and in NY. Polish the resume – stressing ginternational acclimationh, interest/experience in Finance, background in Accounting, etc., etc.

DO NOT use on-line sites - EVER. Snail mail your resume to the recruiters after calling them to say that it is coming.

You will never know what is available until you try.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoomouse View Post
      Experience:
      I'm have a BBA in Accounting and an MBA in International Management from a US state school. I did my schooling non-stop, so I'm 24.
      I am currently in Korea because I took a few classes through an exchange program. I enjoyed Japan more than Korea, so I'd like to go back rather than trying to find employment here or going back to the US right away.

I have working experience in the US for construction and sales, and experience in Korea for EPC and teaching (Global operations strategy, not English).
      My working experience is kind of scattered (4 years part-time construction management/accounting, 1 year sales, 3 months EPC, and 4 months teaching). I also have a few years experience with the financial markets (mostly stock and options trading). I have experience in the automotive markets as well (mostly track racing, repair, and maintenance).

I've read through the forums, and it seems like Japanese language skills are not required for some business/financial jobs, which is good for me, because my Japanese is very limited.

Questions:
      The problem is that you don't fit in any slots. Many companies would indeed hire talent from abroad if they cannot find it locally, but it seems that you don't have any clear track record. Without even basic Japanese skills (such as JLPT 4) your accounting knowledge is not much use either. The larger financial companies ususally expect top unis and a more or less straight path into finance, but you could at least target the 'less famous' institutions such as funds or service companies such as Bloomberg. I'd use the 'scattered' experience as an advantage and directly apply to US companies in these fields, tailor-making the applications to point out your interest and expertise accordingly. I'd also register with some headhunters. As you're in Korea anyway I'd plan a trip to Japan in fall or so, sending applications now and announcing that you'll be available for a direct interview then.

Comment

Your lack of experience, Japanese skills, and young age are going to be major hurdles if you are going to aim at actual MBA level jobs in Japan.

I'd say your best bet is target entry level jobs* and go ahead and accept the fact that if you want to work in Japan - you will never command a starting salary comparable to what you will get in the US. If you want to work in Japan - I'd look into attending one of the DISCO career forums and heavily target companies and positions that don't require Japanese ability. The next one is in Boston but they also have fairs in London, LA, and Tokyo throughout the year.

http://www.careerforum.net/event/bos/?lang=E

*There are entry level jobs for MBA grads in Japan.

Comment

The posts above are generally accurate. I would advise moving to Japan now and going about your career search while living in the country. It just increases your flexibility. With an MBA, you'll be able to land a gig teaching Business English which will pay the bills while you register with headhunters, polish your resume and -- most importantly -- network.

Comment

While my post does not offer answers to the questions you have asked, I would like to offer my humble view of your situation:

Am new to the forums and am still learning about Japan. From what I understand, the entry level jobs would hover at 3 million yen. I have also worked in US and know that market to some extent. I believe you could get a higher paying job in US (> USD 32,000 / year). So this brings us to your motivation of working in Japan. If your motivation is to experience international work culture then I feel you are on the right track. But if the motivation is driven by financial considerations, then you make want to think twice as I feel you have a greater saving potential in the States. My two cents...

Good luck!

V

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
              The problem is that you don't fit in any slots. Many companies would indeed hire talent from abroad if they cannot find it locally, but it seems that you don't have any clear track record. Without even basic Japanese skills (such as JLPT 4) your accounting knowledge is not much use either. The larger financial companies ususally expect top unis and a more or less straight path into finance, but you could at least target the 'less famous' institutions such as funds or service companies such as Bloomberg. I'd use the 'scattered' experience as an advantage and directly apply to US companies in these fields, tailor-making the applications to point out your interest and expertise accordingly. I'd also register with some headhunters. As you're in Korea anyway I'd plan a trip to Japan in fall or so, sending applications now and announcing that you'll be available for a direct interview then.

LOL.....I coundn't disagree more my friend..

Comment

Working...
              X