Quiting your job and unpaid vacation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiting your job and unpaid vacation

Hi all. I am new to this forum. I would like to ask about quitting and left over vacation time. I have been with my current company for a little over a year now and am planning to quit. I will give my company 3-4 weeks notice. My question is, what happens to my left over vacation time? I still have a few days of vacation left so I am wondering if I quit if I will lose them because I heard that in Japan companies are not required to give you vacation time unless they fire you. What if I get sick after I give my company notice that I am leaving and take a few days off. Can they refuse to allow me to use my vacation time because I am quitting? This may sound silly, but when I called my local city hall they said in Japan there is no law requiring employers to give you your vacation time.

Thank you.
    Last edited by H23; 2012-12-03, 11:15 PM.

If you can take them before you quit! If you tell them you will probably lose them.

Comment

Originally posted by H23 View Post
      Hi all. I am new to this forum. I would like to ask about quitting and left over vacation time. I have been with my current company for a little over a year now and am planning to quit. I will give my company 3-4 weeks notice. My question is, what happens to my left over vacation time? I still have a few days of vacation left so I am wondering if I quit if I will lose them because I heard that in Japan companies are not required to give you vacation time unless they fire you. What if I get sick after I give my company notice that I am leaving and take a few days off. Can they refuse to allow me to use my vacation time because I am quitting? This may sound silly, but when I called my local city hall they said in Japan there is no law requiring employers to give you your vacation time.

Thank you.
      Don't know about your company, but where I work, many people quit like this: Give notice to end 1 month later. Use saved up paid holidays (say 10 for example) at the end, so effectively stop working after 2 weeks, but get paid for the full month.

Comment

Working...
      X