Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need a letter of eligibility to get a spouse visa?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a letter of eligibility to get a spouse visa?

I have been married to a Japanese citizen for just over one year. We were married in Japan while I was on a tourist visa. My tourist visa ran out and I went to Hong Kong hoping that I could get another tourist visa and come straight back. Unfortunatey, they said I needed to to have a Hong ID to get a tourist visa or get a letter of eligibilty. I am from South Africa which was probably counting against me. Anyway, I didn't apply for the visa and got a job in China where I have been working for 8 months. I have now decided that I would like to go back to Japan with my husband and I saw on on some government websites that you don't need a letter of eligibilty to get a spouse visa but that you can submit some other documentation( marriage certificates etc) to get the spouse visa. The problem is that I don't want to go back to my own country to apply for a visa. I want to know if I can apply for one in China , Singapore, Malaysia or Korea. I know this is complicated but I would be very interested to hear from anybody with some advice. Thanks!

Re: Do I need a letter of eligibility to get a spouse visa?

South Africa has no visa exemption with Japan so you'll need some sort of visa. Try Japanese Embassy in Beijing, Shanghai or those other countries, and ask for a tourist visa. (Spouse visa may only be available in Japan.) Then on arrival in Japan, got to local Immigration office for a change of visa to spouse visa. As you have a Japanese marriage certificate, should be no problem, and husband can provide all support documentation.

TH

Comment

Re: Do I need a letter of eligibility to get a spouse visa?

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try.

Comment

Working...
      X