X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tourist visa extension - supporting yourself

i'm coming out to japan on a student visa, but i'm planning on coming about 4/5 months before my visa starts and just doing some travelling, seeing my girlfriend, study etc before my course starts, so will need to extend my 3 month tourist visa for an extra few months.

money isn't a problem as i'm going to have a regular income from the uk, but how much do immigration look into your financial situation when extending a tourist visa? i don't really have anything to hide, but if it takes a lot of time, effort and bureaucracy, i may be better off just coming 3 months before and avoiding the hassle. alternatively, if it's not a big problem, i'd like to get there asap! thanks for any advice you may have

visa run

Just do a visa run when you need more time. At least that is what Immigration told me.

There are grace periods (I believe it is 30 days), but you have to have a really good reason. If the schedules work out just right for you... how many days between the end of the 90day vistor period, and the start of school? BTW, the "student" landing permission stamp doesn't have to start when school starts, you can come a little early.

Comment

Every situation with immigration seems to be different, but figure it this way: you want to spend 180 days out of 365 as a tourist. Don't you think immigration will be at least a LITTLE interested in knowing that you can support yourself during that time? Plan for it.

Comment

Can US passport holders extend their tourist visas or is it just the UK? What is the fee to extend it?

Comment

U.S. Passport holders can't extend. You must leave and re-enter after ninty days.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski
              Don't you think immigration will be at least a LITTLE interested in knowing that you can support yourself during that time?
              Yeah, that's why i'm asking really. Do they just ask you and you explain? Do you have to get bank statements and explain your planned incomings/outgoings etc?

Also, whenever i've visited before, even without putting any leaving date on my entry card, they've seemed pretty unconcerned about me coming into the country and i've never been asked how long i'm staying or to prove i have a return flight.

Basically, i just don't want to get immigrations's backs up by coming early and then switching to student visa if it's going to cause me trouble in the long run

Comment

dan,
                Hard to say what that immigration/customs officer will want to ask you or want you to show. What do you have to offer? They'll probably want some kind of address where they can contact you. I think any hotel will do, even if you plan to be there just one night.

If you look suspicious enough to them, they'll probably ask why you want to stay so long, and they might wonder if you are working secretly & illegally.

Comment

I read a post on here where an Aussie guy extended his "tourist" visa, but he was only given a month, not 3 months like the British get.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsnotes
                    I read a post on here where an Aussie guy extended his "tourist" visa, but he was only given a month, not 3 months like the British get.

3 months is not a right but a privilege and its possible the immigration tought he didnt have enough money to support himself three months, or hsi motives for entry were suspect. Its the immigrations call, every time.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsnotes
                      Different reciprocal agreement...

Comment

Working...
                      X