Certified Signature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified Signature

Have any British (or other ) people ever certified their signature in Japan??

Is it really as easy as going to the embassy with my passport and 5 minutes later walking out with a certificate to say that my signature is mine???

Would be grateful to hear on this.......buying a car and need hanko or certified signature.......dont fancy the hanko option!

Re: Certified Signature

N, I use a registered inkan myself when it's necessary, but I know it's possible for US citizens to get a "sign certificate" at any of the US consulates here in Japan. Probably the same for the UK -- check your embassy website. Here the URL for the relevent page on the US site:

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7126a.html

You can also get most any notarial service at a Japanese "koushou-nin" (公証人) if you can't easily get to a UK consulate. They tend to be more expensive, however, and don't always realize that they are just certifying a signature, not responsible for understanding the document themselves. You should have no problem with the sign certificate (サイン証明).

Happy driving!

Comment

The American Embassy will notarize your signature for you; bring your passport. There is a administrative handling fee but don't know how much it is these days. I have used this in the past to purchase a car and for other transactions that required a notarization.
      R.

Comment

Hiyodori/Richard.....thanx for ur response.....

I called the embassy today and they swear that it is a simple process....ie. walk in walk out........just take the passport along and pay 2400yen fee.......it remains to be seen if it is that easy/fast.......I will know tomorrow.........

I think that it is definitely the way to go........though i have heard that the certificate has a 3month expiry date......whereas I think that the hanko option once registered would be with me forever...........I just feel more secure going down the signature route rather than the hanko route!!!

Comment

At the US Embassy it's quick and easy if there is no line, can take a while if there are a lot of other people getting notarizations, dealing with lost passports...

If you get a hanko/inkan in your legal name (or in a registered nickname), it's quite easy to make it official. You still have to go to your city/town/ward office to get a document showing that it is in fact registered each time you need to use it, though. Other than buying a home/auto or setting up a business it's mostly unnecessary. The city I live in actually has ATM-like machines scattered about town that'll issue these inkan-shomei-sho certificates.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X