Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent Residency Application - supportive documents

Hi all,

I am writing in the hope someone might be able give me some pointers regarding a Letter of contribution.

Yes! My wife, daughter and myself are finally going to apply for permanent residency.

I would appreciate if anyone holding a Japanese PR could let me know a little bit about their experiences with the immigration department etc.

Furthermore, if anyone is aware of where can i possibly veiw sample letters .. I am a little worried about what to write.

Cheers

10-year residence requirement exemption?

Originally posted by TRIPster
    I am writing in the hope someone might be able give me some pointers regarding a Letter of contribution.

Yes! My wife, daughter and myself are finally going to apply for permanent residency.
    Are you saying that you intend to seek exemption from the 10-year residence requirement on the basis of your "Contribution to Japan" ?

Originally posted by TRIPster
    I would appreciate if anyone holding a Japanese PR could let me know a little bit about their experiences with the immigration department etc.

Furthermore, if anyone is aware of where can i possibly veiw sample letters .. I am a little worried about what to write.
    See these threads:

"PR application at 1st year, ok?"
    http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthread.php?t=42023

"Waiting period on Permanent Residency?"
    http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...013#post308130

(See Glenski's post #26 which refers to published examples of cases that were deemed acceptable and cases that were deemed unacceptable for exemption from the 10-year residence requirement on the basis of "Contribution to Japan".)
    Last edited by bland; 2009-10-14, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Bland

Thanks for your reply.

No.. we are not asking for any exceptions - we meet all requirements.

I am of the understanding a Letter of Contribution is required. Is this not the case? maybe just a letter explaining why I want to apply?!

Either way, I beleive a letter of some type is required. Can you shed some light on this? and possibly any pointers?

Cheers

Comment

TRIP ster

You'll want to write a letter to expand on number 15 of page 1(出入34口) of your application.

Possibly any pointers...
        IF I get the damn thing (I applied and am waiting for the result) then I'll let you know what I wrote.

Comment

What are these "experts" talking about. I got permanent residence years ago and all they required was the paperwork they gave . There was no need of a letter. Of course I was the only applying, as my wife and children are Japanese. I take it your wife and child are not Japanese, then the best thing to do is to ask immigrations themselves and not here. Here you will 150 wrong answers.

Good luck

Comment

Pr

"I got permanent residence years ago"
            What did you write for number 15 of page 1(出入34口?. I'm sure it's still fresh in your mind.

"all they required was the paperwork they gave"
            Things certainly have changed over the past 100 years. If Tripster doesn't head off to city hall and get some additional documents then he isn't going to get PR.

Comment

Funny how all the idiots that have just gotten to Japan, think they know everything. My advice to the poster and to future posters id to talk with immigrations themselves and not look for answers here, because 99% of the time they will get bum advice.

Comment

Duuuuuuude ,

SteadyRollingMan
                "talk with immigrations themselves"
                Oh, feeling groovy baby.
                Hey bro, why don't you do another bomb and chill out.

Of course asking immigration is a good idea. Asking someone who has successfully gotten PR status is ALSO a good idea. Why would someone get their panties all up in a bunch over that? Immigration will tell you the minimum you need to apply but there are other things you CAN give them with your application that will help your cause. Some examples, a copy of your JLPT certificate if you have one. A copy of your university degree or anything else that you think will show them that you are unlikely to ever become unemployed. They won't specifically ask for these things but they will take any documents you give them and add them to your application. Don't be shy about making your application as thick as possible because... A couple of months later, some old man will lay them all out on his desk and then look it over. If he can't see any of the top surface of his desk, your PR status will be approved. If he can see some of the top surface, but less than 20 percent, you'll be one of those case by case judgements. More than 20 percent, you're out of luck. Before Steadyrollingman comes at me all weepy. The paper on desk thing is just a theory.
                Anyway, like I said before, I HAVE NOT been approved. I was denied the first time. Not enough time in Japan. Not enough paper? I have applied again. Now enough time in Japan and much more paper. We'll see what happens.
                I wish you luck.

Comment

You go Turned down I didn't! BIG DIFFERENCE BRO! So I smoke, what that go to do with the price of tea? Doesn't make me dumb.

Sure asking is good but doing a search would save time and ink. Here is a little nugget.: "Give them lots of paper" and you are giving them more reasons to turn you down. Keep it simple stupid!

The Japanese bureucrat in any agency, loves to reject applications over the dumbest things. Give them lots of paper-I love that.

Comment

Line 15 = reason for applying for permanent residence
                    http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/index.html

"I want to live here with my family and continue working here."

No "contribution" letter was needed in my case (that was 2 years ago for me), but maybe that was because I was married to a Japanese (still am) and had a spouse visa at the time.

Don't fret over this too much. If you have kept your noses clean, you just have to show you work steadily, make enough to support yourselves, and want to continue doing that.

"I teach, therefore I am" is often enough. Not sure what you do, though.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input

I would like to thank you all for your input. Yes! I have been to immigration. As usual, they don't let too much out of the bag. Having said that, we have been here for a quite a while - currently on a TEIJU visa. It appears everyone has different experiences with immigration -

Actually, I am Aussie and work for an airline.. I think being employed as a SEISHAIN for just over six years may be beneficial.. fingers crossed!

Another quick question -

Do you think it better to mention I graduated from a local Japanese High School? (Uni, back in OZ tho) and that my wife is a NIKEI JIn, yet, doesn't hold Japanese nationality..

I am just playing with a few ideas at the moment.. keeping my options available.

Is there anyone else out there that are GAIKOKU JIN DOUSHI? I am very interested to hear of ppls experiences..

Comment

I applied for PR about 18 months ago. It was very easy from what I remember. If you have been paying your taxes and meet the presence requirements, I doubt you have much to worry about. I just wrote the same as other people said: "to live and work in Japan with my family." The only wierd requirement was to draw a map to my house. I suspect they come out and check that you are being a reasonable neighbor and check the name plate on the property to make sure you are not lying regarding your residence.

There really isn't any space on the form to add more beyond this, and I don't think they are really concerned about where you went to school, etc. They will judge your ties based on the quantitative information from the form, as well as tax records, zaishoku-shoumeisho you get from work, etc.

Comment

I handed in my application for PR last Friday at the Immigration office in Kita Yono, Saitama. FWIW this is what I was asked for and submitted:

1. Application form
                          2. Guarantor form (my japanese wife)
                          3. Letter from Employer (mine and my wife's)
                          4. Koseki tohon
                          5. Residence statement from local city office
                          6. Tax statement from local city office
                          7. Passport and alien registration card (but these were returned)

I also gave them (after reading this forum) the following:

8. Hand drawn map to my apartment
                          9. Recent paysheets (I recently changed job so don't have a gensen chohyuhyou from my new employer)
                          10. My CV
                          11. Details of my and my wife's families

I must say the Immigration guy was a bit surprised when I started handing over the additional documents. I think he wanted to say say 'we don't need this stuff' but he took it anyway (actually he declined the copies of my degree certificates, saying they weren't necessary).

As for the reason for the application, I followed the example that they give out and wrote 'to keep living here with my j-wife and kid'. He reckoned that it might take over a year to process so said if my current [spouse] visa runs out then reapply for that if you haven't heard anything from us. That's the end of June 2009 so hopefully I'll have heard by then...

Comment

hello Harp,

I was just wondering how long you have been in Japan and what kind of visa are you on now?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Celeron

I'm currently on a 3 year spouse visa with a year and a month left to run. Apparently that's important and if you've got less than a year left immigration will tell you to apply for PR after renewing your current visa, this happened to a colleague of my wife's.

As for how long I've been here, coming up on 10.5 years over two stints (I got 18 months off for good behaviour ;-).

Comment

Working...
                              X