Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permanent Residency - from start to finish (good and bad)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent Residency - from start to finish (good and bad)

Hi All,

Further to my 'Permanent Residency – supportive documents' thread.

I have finally got around to applying for a Japanese PR - YAY!

I am writing in the hope someone might be able to share their experiences from the day they applied for a Japanese PR to the day they got it. Whether you applied as a family, individual, even as a couple I am interested in hearing from you.

For a clear understanding of the PR process (from the day of application) I have decided to start this thread for all people your are :

1 >Just applied for a Japanese PR
    2> Applied and still awaiting a response
    3> People who applied and were denied of a Japanese PR
    4> Those who are Japanese PR holders

If you are one of the above, it would be great if you could share your experiences..good and bad
    e.g.,
    ' I got a telephone call three days after application'
    ' I received the post card in the mail – nil correspondence throughout the process'
    ' Additional info request via post'

Cheers
    Tripster!

I hold a PR. Day one involved picking up the app at the immigration office. The intervening days spent before submitting the app involved me drinking beer while my wife dutifully filled out the minutia. Months later, I picked up my PR.

Comment

I have had PR status since 1996 and guess what it's nothing special except that I do not have to run to immigrations every few years to renew. Sure there are bennies but I don't care about them, if anything I have to be more careful about breaking the law because if I do break the law and get caught I will do time in prison not get deported. So PR Big Deal.

Comment

Originally posted by SteadyRollingMan
        I have to be more careful about breaking the law because if I do break the law and get caught I will do time in prison not get deported. So PR Big Deal.
        That's a very good point!

Comment

I applied in the Spring when I renewed my previous visa... getting the documents together beforehand was not a problem. They quote a 4-6 month wait... 6 months to the day the pick-up postcard came...

There are no real benefits... yes you save a few yen and a lot of time every few years.. but you still have to get permission to leave...

loans!?? tell me how going into debt is ever a benefit?... yes, I bought a house (paid cash), before the PR.

Some Japanese may take you more seriously when they find you have PR... since it appears you might actually be staying in Japan for a while... and you don't have to be an English teacher all your life;-)

Comment

Got PR in the fifth year of my marriage. They said it'd take 3-6 months. Took about 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski
              Got PR in the fifth year of my marriage. They said it'd take 3-6 months. Took about 2.
              Did you need to do anything within those 2 months? Any telephone calls? Did they send a letter/form requesting additional info?

Comment

Originally posted by macbook
                I applied in the Spring when I renewed my previous visa... getting the documents together beforehand was not a problem. They quote a 4-6 month wait... 6 months to the day the pick-up postcard came...

There are no real benefits... yes you save a few yen and a lot of time every few years.. but you still have to get permission to leave...

loans!?? tell me how going into debt is ever a benefit?... yes, I bought a house (paid cash), before the PR.

Some Japanese may take you more seriously when they find you have PR... since it appears you might actually be staying in Japan for a while... and you don't have to be an English teacher all your life;-)

Did you need to do anything within those 6months? or just wait? Are you married to a Japanese national?

Comment

In process

but it has been 9 months ( a little over that).

I went down to ask them about it and everyone in the office was really surprised. The official guy at the desk said the app is in Tokyo, but he couldn't give me any more information. He kept saying it should be soon....

So, just waiting patiently.....

Still, a little stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by kansai08
                    but it has been 9 months ( a little over that).

I went down to ask them about it and everyone in the office was really surprised. The official guy at the desk said the app is in Tokyo, but he couldn't give me any more information. He kept saying it should be soon....

So, just waiting patiently.....

Still, a little stressful.
                    Wow.. interesting - I guess not many ppl enquire about the status of the application. I haven't heard applications are sent to Tokyo for processing.. has anyone else heard of this?

Kansai - have you recieved any telephone calls, letters or anything from immigration since submitting your application?

Cheers
                    Tripster

Comment

Originally posted by TRIPster
                      Wow.. interesting - I guess not many ppl enquire about the status of the application. I haven't heard applications are sent to Tokyo for processing.. has anyone else heard of this?

Kansai - have you recieved any telephone calls, letters or anything from immigration since submitting your application?

Cheers
                      Tripster

nope, haven't heard anything from them. I also hadn't heard of applications being sent to tokyo either. I am betting 50/50 that they lost it...
                      hard to imagine...

But I did expect that they'd call, write or otherwise contact me and ask for something. I tried to make sure that the app had everything I could think of and more when I put it in.

Comment

I applied at the beginning of May and nothing so far from immigration (not a peep). I'm figuring a minimum of 6 months, which will be November, but my immigration office (Saitama) said it could be 12 months if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by Harp
                          I applied at the beginning of May and nothing so far from immigration (not a peep). I'm figuring a minimum of 6 months, which will be November, but my immigration office (Saitama) said it could be 12 months if not more.
                          12months!? that seems a long time! I have heard of it taking that long for citizenship.. and even that I thought was a long time. fingers crossed its sooner!

Comment

Did you need to do anything within those 6months? or just wait? Are you married to a Japanese national?
                            just waited, and yes I am married to a Japanese National.

as I said, I renewed at the same time as my previous visa, that came in about 3 weeks.

Mostly it is a waiting game, and the time of year you apply can slow things down, Spring time (March April) is the busy time for visas everyone and their brothers are going in to renew or re-apply or change... a total zoo.

When I applied it was standing room only all day, when I picked up there were two Bangladeshi guys, myself and a hand full of chinese... in the whole place!

Comment

12months!? that seems a long time! I have heard of it taking that long for citizenship.. and even that I thought was a long time. fingers crossed its sooner!
                              I think the immigration guy was just covering his backside as a very outside chance. That said I work with a guy from the Philippines and he has PR and his took exactly one year, as did the applications of his mates (also from the Philippines) - I don't know if that is due to the nationality, or the office he applied, or what...

Comment

Working...
                              X