• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tourist Visa" -> work visa

Sup,
    -I am American
    -Have 4 year college degree
    My gf is an ALT in the JET Programme. I am leaving to Japan in January to stay with her for the remaining 1.5 years of her contract. She has networked etc with other past ALTs and i might have some job opportunities, but none yet (ie no contracts or anything materialized just her talking to other people). I am entering the country with a tourist visa. Back up plan is to get married and obtain dependent visa; if we have to do this, we will and i would work part time.

However, i would like to get a work VISA if at all possible so i can stay in the country that way.
    Is there anyone (american preferably) with experience obtaining work visa, after entering on tourist visa? Did you have to leave the country and re-enter with new visa status? did you get a certificate of eligibility? any insight into any aspect of this would be great.

Thank you.

Yeah, I'm American and I did that earlier this year.

Basically you skip the whole COE->Visa process, and instead apply for what's called a Change of Status of Residence. You don't need a visa because, well, you're already in Japan.

The paperwork is nearly the same. Whoever sponsors your work permit should be able to figure it out (or help you do so).

You take your passport and paperwork down to the Immigration office, and they give you a stamp that says you've applied for the Change of Status of Residence. Then a few weeks later you go back and get this thing that looks like a postage stamp stuck on one of your passport pages. While you're at the Immigration office you should go ahead and get a Re-entry Permit as well, if you'll be leaving Japan at all for the duration of your stay.

After that you're in basically the same situation as anyone who went through the normal COE->Visa process. You apply for your gaijin card and then get on with life.

It's also worth mentioning that once you get the first stamp on your passport (the one that says you've applied for the Change of Status), you can stay past the 90 days of the tourist visa without any issues. Might want to verify this though.
    Last edited by zmcnulty; 2008-11-19, 10:54 PM.

Comment

that is great news...thanks a bunch man. ill check on the 90 days or not...from what i have read it looks like you cant, but maybe you can? i dunno.
      thanks again
      peace

Comment

Originally posted by zmcnulty View Post
        You take your passport and paperwork down to the Immigration office, and they give you a stamp that says you've applied for the Change of Status of Residence. Then a few weeks later you go back and get this thing that looks like a postage stamp stuck on one of your passport pages.
        A few WEEKS? ._. Is it any faster to apply for the work visa in South Korea? I can't really afford to wait around in Japan for a visa for a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by annie_wu View Post
          A few WEEKS? ._. Is it any faster to apply for the work visa in South Korea? I can't really afford to wait around in Japan for a visa for a few weeks.
          Weeks. Live with it. Come here or apply from home.

Comment

Is it any faster to have the visa switched in South Korea or is it the same amount of time?

Comment

Working...
            X