Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

I'm completely desperate. Please help me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm completely desperate. Please help me.

Good day to all !

I am a French Canadian who came to Japan in August 2011.

I did not go to university nor finished college in Québec. I have a high school diploma and a 7 months professional diploma as a health care taker.

Therefore, I only have a Working Holiday visa which ends in August 2012.

The only way I found to stay in Japan was to get the student visa.

Language schools are very expensive, 550 000 Yen and more. I cannot afford to pay this in one shot !

Does anybody knows if I could go to either a French or English school, or Japanese language school, for less than 500 000 Yen with a possibility of making monthly payments ?

Or any other way I can stay in Japan, besides getting married or going back to Canada ? By the way, getting a visa from a job, I can't, I already asked the immigration office, they ask for a BA as well, which I don't have.

Thank you very much.

Terrie

Student visa requires that you pay tuition up front, for at least 6 months. No school will sponsor a 6-12 month visa when you are only paying as far as a month in advance. Only guess is to take out a loan and make monthly repayments.

With no degree, much less a sponsor, your chances of getting a visa are approximately zero.

Originally posted by terriefox View Post
    Does anybody knows if I could go to either a French or English school, or Japanese language school, for less than 500 000 Yen with a possibility of making monthly payments ?

Or any other way I can stay in Japan, besides getting married or going back to Canada ? By the way, getting a visa from a job, I can't, I already asked the immigration office, they ask for a BA as well, which I don't have.

Thank you very much.

Terrie

Comment

enroll in a 6 month program and extend it. pay for 6 months at a time.

Comment

basically no there's no way
        you would be smart to start a cultural activity ASAP and try to switch from your student visa to a cultural activities visa in august.

they'll check your teacher's credentials and you need to have been participating in the cultural activity for at least 6months prior to visa application, and even then they're strict

if that's impossible the only other route is a spouse visa but even then they're starting to clamp down a bit more than a few years ago

Comment

You know,
          I was just remarking to the Missus this morning over coffee:
          You what Japan needs more of?

Under-employed lazy French Canadians who are trying to buck the system.

Comment

The problem is, if you manage to find a way to get a visa, you somewhat trap yourself in Japan. I know a guy, came here on a heritage visa a decade ago, and stayed because the money was great for a guy in his early 20s. Now he's in his early 30s, uneducated, and the money isn't so good as you get older in life. But he has no skills to go back with, and no skills to advance here. It's a bit of a black hole.

Contrast this with another guy I know who came here for a year, loved it, went back home and got a degree, and now has a decent job, as well as means to go back home if/when he decides.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
              The problem is, if you manage to find a way to get a visa, you somewhat trap yourself in Japan. I know a guy, came here on a heritage visa a decade ago, and stayed because the money was great for a guy in his early 20s. Now he's in his early 30s, uneducated, and the money isn't so good as you get older in life. But he has no skills to go back with, and no skills to advance here. It's a bit of a black hole.
              And if he marries a Japanese woman, the only thing keeping him here legally is his wife and his spouse visa. She will hold it over him like a bad smell if he cant get a job or support himself,let alone her.

Japan is not a good place to be on the bottom of the food chain, for more than a year or two.

Comment

Hmmm. Aren't schools more like 300,000 for 6 months? There are some reputable ones in Tokyo, I believe, that charge around that. Knew a guy who went to one...in Shinjuku ish area?
                There's another in Tamachi I believe. One out in Aobadai on the Den-En-Toshi line I think wanted a year's up front payment, and was pricier.
                It may be different from my days, but you have 6 months to get on top of this....unless things have changed, you can apply to start in September on a pre-college student visa. As a Canadian you join Germany as being from one of those select countries that you should be able to just transfer your WHV to a pre-college visa (I know someone who did it a few years ago, but if it's changed I apologise for my outdated information). A few years back you didn't even need to apply the 3 months (or 6 months for some schools) before (I do recall that for March, though, you had to apply November, but if you plan to change from WHV to pre-college, you then get the stamp while it's happening and it should be relatively painless). It can be done a shorter time ahead...possibly weeks, but the more time you have the better.
                You may need to show funds and how you earned it (I actually think the person I knew did not, but I can't be totally sure, and you'd best be prepared). Research or others here should reveal the figure they want to see....they like to see cash for the first year. Alternatively, if you can get your family to "sponsor" you, they sign a document saying they will send you a certain amount each month. You can also say you will support yourself with work, so they can pledge a lower amount. Immigration may check when your visa is renewed after one year, but may not and if you are stuck it will give you one year at least. You could always get them to send you amounts and Western Union them the cash to do it.

So if you REALLY want to stay in Japan, my advice would be work your ___ off between now and then to make sure you earn enough. Presuming you can do that, you should have a job that you can continue part time on your pre college, and you'll be able to support yourself, learn Japanese, go to college or university in Japan, and get some qualifications.
                Is your English native enough to teach? (Or just work at GABA, as they hire French natives with good English, so you should be more than native enough- I'm stating facts, not being _____y about anything, btw).
                I will be blunt and say if you can't make 300,000 , heck even 500,000 in 6 months on the WHV which you have freedom to work as much as you like, wherever you can, you will struggle in Japan.
                It's a wonderful country, but consider your quality of life when you aren't on a WHV, which in my opinion is the loveliest visa in the world. All the freedom of a spousal visa, with, you know, the actual freedom part ho-ho! Then think about what it would be like when you have to work and study, or the other alternatives available to you, as without a degree
                your options are limited.
                Last edited by BouncingAroundJapan; 2012-03-08, 07:16 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

Originally posted by HairyHurry
                  Japan definitely needs more philosophers. Always a huge shortage of those...
                  Quiet you.
                  I'll have you know that I'm an absolute enthralling guru at the local McDonalds.

~Until those annoying security chaps always ruin my fun.

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                    You know,
                    I was just remarking to the Missus this morning over coffee:
                    You what Japan needs more of?

Under-employed lazy French Canadians who are trying to buck the system.
                    Thanks for judging me without knowing. I'm presently working my ___ off as a teacher. I have 3 jobs since I've been here and I really don't understand your pathetic comments.

Do you know how impossible it is for me to go back to Québec ? Probably not. You're probably American, with that ____ty attitude, can't be from somewhere else.

Maybe you should have choked on your coffee this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by terriefox View Post
                      Thanks for judging me without knowing. I'm presently working my ___ off as a teacher. I have 3 jobs since I've been here and I really don't understand your pathetic comments.

Do you know how impossible it is for me to go back to Québec ? Probably not. You're probably American, with that ____ty attitude, can't be from somewhere else. Maybe you should have choked on your coffee this morning.
                      Ooo..I love it when you talk all dirty-frenchie to me.
                      I used to live in Laval.
                      I don't blame you for not wanting to go back.

Comment

Ooo..I love it when you talk all dirty-frenchie to me.
                        I used to live in Laval.
                        I don't blame you for not wanting to go back.
                        On the other hand, Montreal is a ____ing awesome place.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathblob View Post
                          On the other hand, Montreal is a ____ing awesome place.
                          A Frog once spat in my Poutine when he learned I was an American

I ate it anyway.

Comment

A Frog once spat in my Poutine when he learned I was an American

I ate it anyway.
                            Shut up f$#&%ng dic_k !!!!

Comment

terriefox,
                              You've been given the best advice possible here. Your choices are extremely limited. Ignore the pathetic types who flame on here (and stop referring to all Americans in a bad light; we're not all like that).

You find a way to get the money to afford the student visa expenses, or you don't. If marriage to a Japanese national (or even a fellow foreigner who has a visa, so you can get a dependent visa) is not in the cards, be prepared to return to Quebec, whether you like it or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X