X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Visa Work Question

I have currently finished studying in Japan on collage visa.

I have started working at a ekaiwa (under the 28 hours a week).

I have 4 months left on my student visa. The ekaiwa has said I can continue working on this student visa and then change to a work visa in a few months.

This is incorrect yes?

Its currently University holidays now, so I am not that worried. I have a certificate saying I will graduate university (I graduate in May), this can be used to get a work visa.

My plan is to apply pressure on my boss to come with me to immigration this week and sponsor me.

Does anyone have any advice?

Any legal links would be great.

So, officially, you are still a student until May. Ok, that means you can legally hold the student visa until then. After that time, you should indeed switch to a work visa (assuming your eikaiwa is willing to sponsor you).

No reason to "pressure" anyone. If they want you to switch visas, have they said that they will gladly sponsor it, too? Your problem will be in hand only if they say no.

Comment

Thank you very much for your response.

Yes they have said they are happy to sponsor me.

However isn't an issue that I will be earning 250,000 a month and not attending university?

Comment

Originally posted by MrNiceGuy2011 View Post
        However isn't an issue that I will be earning 250,000 a month and not attending university?
        Trick question: will you have a university degree when you start working for them full time?

You can not work full time on a college student visa.

Comment

I currently have a piece of paper saying that I have finished my degree and that I will graduate in May.
          So I have finished my study.
          I will never work full time. I will work under 28 hours a week.

Comment

I currently have a piece of paper saying that I have finished my degree and that I will graduate in May.
            So I have finished my study.
            I will never work full time. I will work under 28 hours a week.
            If you have permission to work on a student visa then you can work on that until your visa expires. If you don't plan to work full time then how do you expect to get sponsorship? Language schools don't sponsor part-timers' visas. You want to make sure your college does not cancel your student visa now that you have stopped studying there.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
              If you have permission to work on a student visa then you can work on that until your visa expires. If you don't plan to work full time then how do you expect to get sponsorship? Language schools don't sponsor part-timers' visas. You want to make sure your college does not cancel your student visa now that you have stopped studying there.
              I have friends who are sponsored with other companies and only work 25-26 hours a week.
              This is just confusing me even more.
              Thanks for everyone's help. I will try and get the company to get me a work visa asap.
              So I need to speak to my college as well?

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                Student visas are typically valid for 3 months after the date of graduation to allow time for the student to find a job. He's fine on his visa until it expires even if he has graduated, at least for those three months. During that time he can only work the 28 hours per week as you said, and he should switch to a work visa at which point he will have to work full time to qualify for the sponsorship. But he doesn't have to do all of this RIGHT THE SECOND he graduates- he's got 3 months.

Comment

I have friends who are sponsored with other companies and only work 25-26 hours a week.
                  This is just confusing me even more.
                  Thanks for everyone's help. I will try and get the company to get me a work visa asap.
                  So I need to speak to my college as well?
                  That's not possible, unless your friends are working at several schools and self-sponsoring themselves. You must work full time to qualify for work sponsorship.

Comment

Working...
                  X