Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a single reentry permit with a multiple already in your passport

This is sort of odd, but bear with me:

Last time I did my status of residence extension I started early and the paperwork flew through in under 48 hours from handing in the forms to getting the sticker in the passport. As a result the expiration date of the 3y multiple reentry permit I got the day I picked it up is April 21 and my 3y period of stay is until May 12 this year. I've got to go overseas from April 17-24 so I guess I need to get a single to cover that trip. Is immigration going to give me any hassle trying to get a single permit while I've already got a multiple sticker in place?

(To avoid confusing the poor guys any more than I already am, I'm not going to go ahead with my next extension until after I'm safely back here)
    Last edited by evilone; 2012-03-16, 12:42 PM.

Probably a little "Huh?" at first, but when you explain nicely the circumstances, they will then say ok.

Comment

The re-entry permit expiry date is supposed to be matched to the period of stay date, so it sounds like you have a clerical error. If you point that out to them they may give you the "proper" date (May 12) for free.

Comment

Originally posted by rtfm View Post
        The re-entry permit expiry date is supposed to be matched to the period of stay date, so it sounds like you have a clerical error. If you point that out to them they may give you the "proper" date (May 12) for free.
        No, its 3 years or when your extension expires, whichever comes first. In my case my period of stay was finished being processed early (well before the deadline) so there was a small gap.

Comment

Just get another multiple re-entry permit! The old one will be cancelled, and the new one will be valid from the date of issue. No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop View Post
            Just get another multiple re-entry permit! The old one will be cancelled, and the new one will be valid from the date of issue. No problem.
            Why would I possibly want a multiple permit to cover a 3 week period when I'll only be traveling once?

Comment

Originally posted by evilone View Post
              Why would I possibly want a multiple permit to cover a 3 week period when I'll only be traveling once?
              Convenience - the number of people who leave and come back is rather large - makes life easier for little effort.

Anyway, up to you...

Comment

Originally posted by trip_hop View Post
                Convenience - the number of people who leave and come back is rather large - makes life easier for little effort.

Anyway, up to you...
                My friend, you miss the point. The new re-entry permit won't be valid for three years, it will only be valid until the (current) end of residency.

To the OP, just get the single entry permit. If you aren't planning to leave Japan again before July, you probably won't even need to get another re-entry permit (single or multiple) at all under the new residency system.

Correctingly,
                A.

Comment

I received an Undeliverable Item Notice from immigration... what have they sent me?

On Friday I recieved an indeliverable item notice from immigration.

I have arranged for it to be delivered to my office on Monday but I am worried and want to know what it is ASAP.

I am currently in the application process for a new visa.

I called on Friday and they said that a decision has been made but they cannot tell me the result on the phone.

I'm sure that if the visa application is successful then you just receive the post card.

Do this mean I have failed??

So insight would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Clarify: Immigration sent you something by courier that you have to sign for? Doesn't sound good. Do post what it is on Monday.

Comment

Callum: It's now Tuesday. Are you still here?

Comment

Originally posted by rtfm View Post
                        Callum: It's now Tuesday. Are you still here?
                        sorry for the late reply.
                        it was my visa rejecion letter.

Comment

Got this taken care of, no questions asked. Out of the building by 9:06am. Second-fastest immigration experience ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X