Importing Knives...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Knives...

I know that certain knives are illegal to carry and some must be registered to legally own them............. but how do kitchen knives fit into all this?

The blades are almost always well beyond the length that needs to be registered and obviously they cant legally be carried around but, just as obviously, they are in everyone's homes unregistered.

So it would seem that kitchen knives can be imported, right? But what about survival knives? Who decides the difference? There are kitchen knives much more lethal than most any survival knife..

I plan to give customs a call tomorrow but just thought I'd see what I could dredge up here first.

If it even looks like a non-kitchen knife, you run the risk of it getting confiscated at customs. (If they find it.)

I've sent kitchen-ware to Japan, no issues.

I had to leave my Shinken and Iaito and Tanto in the States as the paperwork was simply too much of a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerdog View Post
      So it would seem that kitchen knives can be imported, right? But what about survival knives? Who decides the difference? There are kitchen knives much more lethal than most any survival knife...
      Its illegal to carry knives around in public or have them on your person. Anything with over a 5 inch blade with a double serrated edge is illegal and you risk arrest. Police decide what is and what is not allowed especially after a nut case stabbed 3 people to death in broad daylight in Tokyo a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
        Its illegal to carry knives around in public or have them on your person. Anything with over a 5 inch blade with a double serrated edge is illegal and you risk arrest. Police decide what is and what is not allowed especially after a nut case stabbed 3 people to death in broad daylight in Tokyo a few years back.
        That should be 5 cm, not 5 inches.

Comment

Wow!! Thanks...

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post

Thanks for repeating more or less what I had said.

My question is about importing them...not whether or not they can be carried around. Obviously you cant carry around a kitchen knife in Japan. It is the import procedure I am concerned with.

Comment

Thanks for repeating more or less what I had said.

My question is about importing them...not whether or not they can be carried around. Obviously you cant carry around a kitchen knife in Japan. It is the import procedure I am concerned with.
            In 2001. I imported a hunting knife from the US to Japan. Its a seriously evil thing over 40cm long. I bought it online from a knife shop and it was delivered by mail with no problem, clearly marked in English "Hunting knife". I later took it to Australia, along with its 25cm baby brother with no difficulty. They did confiscate my air soft pistol. though.
            Its interesting that the knife laws are so strict, but you can buy all kinds of very dangerous air soft weapons over the counter. A friend of mine, living in Osaka, had an air soft snipers rifle, that he used to shoot Bosuzoku in the face with, from his third floor apartment window, in the early hours of the morning. Caused a few interesting accidents. He never got caught. Typical bloody Kiwi.

Comment

Originally posted by oxymoron View Post
              A friend of mine, living in Osaka, had an air soft snipers rifle, that he used to shoot Bosuzoku in the face with, from his third floor apartment window, in the early hours of the morning. Caused a few interesting accidents. He never got caught. Typical bloody Kiwi.
              I would like to buy your friend a drink - no, dinner. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
                I would like to buy your friend a drink - no, dinner. Seriously.
                I'd like to contract him for a hit.

Comment

A friend of mine, living in Osaka, had an air soft snipers rifle, that he used to shoot Bosuzoku in the face with, from his third floor apartment window, in the early hours of the morning.
                  I'd like the rifle, can you send me the make and specs on the mods he made to it?

Comment

Importing Knives... .
                    let's stay on point, shall we....

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                      let's stay on point, shall we....
                      It's hard to figure out what will or will not be allowed to be imported. I once brought back 2 nice Kukri from Nepal and they were allowed through despite one being almost 20 inches long. And yet I've had issues bringing in a practice jian for Taichi that was obviously not steel.

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                        It's hard to figure out what will or will not be allowed to be imported. ....
                        customs officers and their regulations..... ! ...cuts both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by edin日本 View Post
                          I'd like the rifle, can you send me the make and specs on the mods he made to it?
                          Sorry, I'm no longer in touch with him. Google air soft for dealers, products , specs. I do remember he said it had a muzzle velocity of about 500 feet/sec.
                          Last edited by oxymoron; 2012-03-23, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Hmmm

Sorry, I'm no longer in touch with him. Google air soft for dealers, products , specs. I do remember he said it had a muzzle velocity of about 500 feet/sec.
                            Thanks all.

I had a customs guy giving me grief last week. Tried to tell me that Swiss Army Knives were outlawed. He kept asking how long they were and I was being sort of vague. Then he asked if they had other tools besides just a blade and I said yes... because they did. He then said that those were OK...

I did point out though that they are for sale all over.

I would like to bring in some longer knives....legally.

I guess I will have to get around to calling customs Monday.

Comment

Working...
                            X