Trying to move to Japan - Visa question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to move to Japan - Visa question

My fiancee and I are in a kind of unique situation. It has been our dream ever since we were twelve years old to live in Japan. So far we've taken every step possible to make our dream come true. We have found a Japanese apartment, we are currently learning Japanese, we have even found a Japanese school in Tokyo that can accommodate my fiancee's disability. She even wants to learn up to JLPT Level 1 and Kanji Kentei Level 1.

I am currently an Engineer, aboard a research vessel and sail for about 5 to 6 months out of the year. I pull in more than enough income in those 6 months to support the two of us if we were to live in Japan. Our problem is obtaining a visa that will allow us to begin the naturalization process.

I have spoken with the Japanese Embassy in San Francisco with very little luck or sympathy. I have also contacted an immigration law firm in Tokyo and the best they could recommend was a workers visa. Unfortunately we are unable to go the student/teacher route either due to my fiancee being disabled and she's physically incapable of working or going to school full time. Although I have a Bachelors Degree I refuse to sacrifice my income to become a JET to get us to Japan. We were wondering if anyone knows of any options that would allow a foreigner with no family ties or a foreign job to live in Japan.

Thank you so much in advance for your time.

Originally posted by EMasaki View Post
    My fiancee and I are in a kind of unique situation. It has been our dream ever since we were twelve years old to live in Japan. So far we've taken every step possible to make our dream come true. We have found a Japanese apartment, we are currently learning Japanese, we have even found a Japanese school in Tokyo that can accommodate my fiancee's disability. She even wants to learn up to JLPT Level 1 and Kanji Kentei Level 1.
    Ok, this is your dream. No problem

I am currently an Engineer, aboard a research vessel and sail for about 5 to 6 months out of the year. I pull in more than enough income in those 6 months to support the two of us if we were to live in Japan. Our problem is obtaining a visa that will allow us to begin the naturalization process.
    question 1. You have a bachelor's degree, but are you planning to work here for a Japanese employer? It doesn't sound like it, so I'm not surprised if you are disappointed.

question 2. What does your fiancee plan to do? What are her qualifications? If you are fortunate enough to land a visa, she will still have to marry you to get a visa if she isn't planning to work or study here. Since she physically can't study or work, that's about the only option. Marry you and hope you get a visa so she can get a dependent visa.

You wrote:
    she's physically incapable of working or going to school full time.
    But then you also wrote:
    we have even found a Japanese school in Tokyo that can accommodate my fiancee's disability.
    Help me to understand why she can't use this school to sponsor a student visa.

question 3. You wrote about "naturalization". Since that means changing your citizenship, was that actually what you meant? Seems way to far into the future for people who have not even landed here and spent a few years.

Although I have a Bachelors Degree I refuse to sacrifice my income to become a JET to get us to Japan. We were wondering if anyone knows of any options that would allow a foreigner with no family ties or a foreign job to live in Japan.
    Get an engineering job (yes, even one that allows you to be out of the country). But, that would usually mean being able to communicate in fairly high level Japanese. At the risk of suspecting the answer to this, I'll ask. How good is your spoken/written/reading in Japanese?

Comment

Your situation does not look very promising. Japan is also rather hard on people with disabilities – particularly ones that are severe enough as to prevent working. Ifd be looking for the best possible environment for support, and doubt that you would find it here.

Comment

Originally posted by EMasaki View Post
        We were wondering if anyone knows of any options that would allow a foreigner with no family ties or a foreign job to live in Japan.

Thank you so much in advance for your time.
        as you will have no job here and wont be paying taxes it will be hard for you to get a visa, you actually have to be living here, have a residential address. Hard to do if you are spending 6 months of the year out of the country.

Naturalisation requires a minimum of 5 years in Japan, need to show financial and economic stability. Foreigners seeking citizenship also need to change their names when they become Japanese nationals.

Comment

Working...
        X