X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving Japan indefinitely while keeping PR status

I have permanent residence visa (Eijuken.) Is it possible for me to leave Japan indefinitely while keeping my visa? Can I just hand in my alien card, stop paying taxes and visit every 3 years with a re-entry permit?

Nope. If you hand in your gaijin card, you lose PR. If you keep your gaijin card, you have to pay taxes.

And I think that starting in July, you need to come back at least once a year, not every three years, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

Comment

Originally posted by horrified View Post
      I have permanent residence visa (Eijuken.) Is it possible for me to leave Japan indefinitely while keeping my visa? Can I just hand in my alien card, stop paying taxes and visit every 3 years with a re-entry permit?
      If you have a re-entry permit it means you plan to come back here. Immigration wont accept your ARC if you have a REP stamp in your passport. REP is valid for 3 years. You pay taxes on what is due until you leave eg resident taxes, health insurance etc but not if you are living out of the country and no longer earning income here.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
        If you have a re-entry permit it means you plan to come back here. Immigration wont accept your ARC if you have a REP stamp in your passport.
        Yes they will. They just cancel both your REP and your visa.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
          Yes they will. They just cancel both your REP and your visa.
          So you basically tell them you are not coming back and they stick a "cancelled" stamp on it? Wasn't sure they could or would do that.

My understanding was if you leave without an REP your visa gets set back to zero automatically when you come back.

What it sounds like is the OP wants to keep his eijuken and all benefits that go with it but not pay taxes here because he chooses not to live here.

If your REP is cancelled why would you need Eijuken?

Comment

So you basically tell them you are not coming back and they stick a "cancelled" stamp on it? Wasn't sure they could or would do that.
            Well they can and they do.

My understanding was if you leave without an REP your visa gets set back to zero automatically when you come back.
            Yes.

What it sounds like is the OP wants to keep his eijuken and all benefits that go with it but not pay taxes here because he chooses not to live here.

If your REP is cancelled why would you need Eijuken?
            What does need have to do with it? If your REP is cancelled, you no longer have PR.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. That gives me some clarity.

Yeah - I want the benefit of not having to re-apply for a PR visa when I come back in 10 years or so. But I'll be willing to give up that visa status if keeping it means I have to keep paying municipal/prefectural and federal taxes (not to mention health insurance) while I'm away. That's gonna be expensive.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. That gives me some clarity.

Yeah - I want the benefit of not having to re-apply for a PR visa when I come back in 10 years or so. But I'll be willing to give up that visa status if keeping it means I have to keep paying municipal/prefectural and federal taxes (not to mention health insurance) while I'm away. That's gonna be expensive.
                Taxes such as resident tax are based on previous years income. If you have no income and no job here you pay no municipal or prefectural taxes. A no-brainer really. You can take holidays from health insurance and pension if you are out of the country. They are not going to chase you for it but they could make you pay back premiums (up to 2 years) if you decide to come back here at some point.

IF your REP expires after 3 years then by extension your PR will be invalidated (unless you get another REP while overseas, or come back and renew it) as it means you don't plan on coming back here.
                Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-04-19, 11:34 PM.

Comment

The whole REP thing is irrelevant anyways, as the system won't exist anymore in three months.

Comment

Taxes such as resident tax are based on previous years income. If you have no income and no job here you pay no municipal or prefectural taxes.
                    Good to know. But isn't there some kind of base/minimum tax I'd have to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                      The whole REP thing is irrelevant anyways, as the system won't exist anymore in three months.
                      I just looked up this:
                      'The maximum validity period of a re-entry permit issued after implementation of the new system (July 9th, 2012) is to be "5 years," instead of the current "3 years."'

From here: http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact...point_3-4.html

So perhaps I can just visit once every 5 years and still keep my PR status.

Comment

Good to know. But isn't there some kind of base/minimum tax I'd have to pay?
                        Possibly being naive, but i thought only NZ and USA try to tax people outside of the country.

Comment

So perhaps I can just visit once every 5 years and still keep my PR status.
                          It's permanent 'residence'. If you are out of the country for five years, it's unlikely that they will consider you a resident, though you *may* be able to slip through the cracks. That said, you'll be liable for pension for that five years, as well as taxes and the like, though taxes and health insurance will be quite low since you won't any income in the country.

Comment

I don't understand this whole mentality. You want to get permanent residence status (it's not a visa, ok? Get that straight.), yet you want to leave for 10 years!?!?!?!?

Come July, you will be able to leave for 1 year without a reentry permit. If you want to stay away longer (5 years, you say?), then you will have to buy a reentry permit and come back before that expires. You will have a 1-year possible extension for that if you screw up and stay longer (or plan to) and if immigration accepts your pleas of mercy.

How is any of that a form of permanent anything, let alone residence? I just don't get it. You want your cake and want to eat it, too. What is the point of having PR when you don't want to even live here?

As for taxes (income and resident taxes and health insurance) while you are away "indefinitely", have a serious talk with your ward office to see how they want to handle things.

Comment

Glenski - Going back to get the kids in public school back home for a few years. I own a house here and plan to come back, but I don't think it will be for at least 7 years. It took me a while to get the PR 'status' and it would be nice to not have to go through that again. Just weighing out the options...

Comment

Working...
                              X