Alien Registrtation change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Registrtation change

So the local council contacted me and told me that the alien registration cards are being abolished.

From July this year you will need to register your household for a new permit for right to stay/residency as a foreign national. I must say the letter that they've sent is pretty vague. Its basically states you have 3 mths from July to get this new permit but few details on what is required to get it. However it does helpfully state that if you've changed your details (and not informed them) that you may have difficulties...

We used a relocation company in January to get our alien reg, and will probably used them again for this paper work - but thought I'd give others the headsup as I've not seen it mentioned here yet. I believe that they are contacting people from May - but my office is super efficient it seems.

Originally posted by banwell View Post
    So the local council contacted me and told me that the alien registration cards are being abolished.

From July this year you will need to register your household for a new permit for right to stay/residency as a foreign national. I must say the letter that they've sent is pretty vague. Its basically states you have 3 mths from July to get this new permit but few details on what is required to get it. However it does helpfully state that if you've changed your details (and not informed them) that you may have difficulties...

We used a relocation company in January to get our alien reg, and will probably used them again for this paper work - but thought I'd give others the headsup as I've not seen it mentioned here yet. I believe that they are contacting people from May - but my office is super efficient it seems.
    We know about this, and there have been a number of previous posts.

See http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/index.html for the correct details (e.g. your statement about "3 months to get it" is wrong).

You don't need to use any company for the paperwork.

Anyway, the key point is that Immigration will be dealing with it all now, not City Hall. Re-entry permits as we now know them will be abolished. You don't need to do anything until your current ARC expires or you change details on it.

Comment

Originally posted by http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/index.html
      You are residing as a spouse with "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" or "Spouse of Child of Permanent Resident" status, but you have failed to engage in activities as a spouse for six months or more without a justifiable reason.*
      In other words, you haven't slept with your J-partner for 6 months...??

Comment

Originally posted by ksnasi lurker View Post

Anyway, the key point is that Immigration will be dealing with it all now, not City Hall. Re-entry permits as we now know them will be abolished. You don't need to do anything until your current ARC expires or you change details on it.
        Well I thank you for your interpretation of this matter but that's not how I read the official letter sent to me. I have a relocation company provided so I will be using them. Also a search on the forum of "alien" throws nothing related to this matter up.

Comment

It isn't his interpretation of the law, that's what the law is according to the Immigration folks themselves.

Not sure what "council" sent you the letter, but it could be one hand not speaking to the other, but any-case, only Immigration Authorities are taking charge of this, no longer is it resting on local city offices to handle these matters.

The new system will allow you to keep your current ARC until it expires, at which time you will be replaced with a new Residence Card under the new system from Immigration (rather then your local city office).

All covered here:

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/index.html

Essentially your ARC is still valid until your current status of residence expires or for other cases, July 8, 2015, whichever comes first.

Nothing in the new law according to Immigration, says one has to change their ARC to the new system within three months from July. Essentially the current ARC will be equal to the new Residence Card until a specified amount of time, more details here:
          http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact...#anchor-point4

Comment

Originally posted by banwell View Post
            Well I thank you for your interpretation of this matter but that's not how I read the official letter sent to me. I have a relocation company provided so I will be using them. Also a search on the forum of "alien" throws nothing related to this matter up.
            As 'asthemoonrules' said, your letter is wrong.

What do you think your relocation company will do (since no action is required until your ARC expires)?

Search wider than 'alien'. It's not a movie you're looking for, it's new immigration procedures...

I think most posters are happy to give advice when asked, but it's annoying when people get an answer then ignore it or still think they know better...

Comment

I've read through the PDF at the immigration website - thanks for the link.

It does indeed seem to support what is being posted here. However I will seek secondary professional advice/assistance.

As I type this I am currently in Vietnam. Two weeks ago I was in Hong Kong, and the month before that I was in Taipei. I have a multiple entry visa for my residency in Japan. The changes to the immigration system should make my life easier - I just cant risk getting them wrong.

The letter from the issuing office of my alien registration document quite clearly states you have 3mths from July to obtain a new permit. It would seem that this is incorrect.

Comment

It is a joke that the site says "the alien registration system will be abolished".

The "residency management system" is the same thing but just has a more politically correct name (although managed differently).

Comment

Originally posted by hennagaijin View Post
                  It is a joke that the site says "the alien registration system will be abolished".

The "residency management system" is the same thing but just has a more politically correct name (although managed differently).
                  Reading it carefully it seems that the residency management system is the already existing system for Japanese.

If that is the case, then finally Japan is putting foreigners in the same system (although it looks like we still have to have a card whereas Japanesw don't).

If this will put me on the juminhyo with my husband and children, then I support it.

Comment

Originally posted by The immigration website
                    The current alien registration system will be abolished
                    Such a difference one word makes.

Banwell: Do you currently have a valid ARC? If yes, you have 3 years from July 9, or until it expires (whichever comes first) to get a new system card. It is possible that they will make one while you wait at Narita / Haneda / Chubu / Kansai airport.
                    Last edited by rtfm; 2012-04-27, 11:32 AM.

Comment

1. What city office mailed you the letter?

2. Post a copy so we can have a look.
                      If it is in English or any language other than Japanese, it could be a translation issue that the city office did.
                      The ARCs should be fully out of circulation by everyone holding one 3 YEARS (not 3 months) from July (final date is July 8, 2015). Odds are many will change to the new card before then.

Comment

Originally posted by ksnasi lurker View Post
                        Re-entry permits as we now know them will be abolished.
                        For periods abroad of less than one year, with a valid status of residence, you don't need them.
                        Leave for any longer and you do.

Just waiting for the anti-life brigade to come chiming in, "Why do you need residency,if you are leaving for more than one year?"
                        None of their business!

Comment

Yah.

Will be interesting when the typically uninformed keystone asks for my "alien registration card" and I tell him that I not have one.

Have they made it mandatory that we show them to cops? (like the "alien reg. card")

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
                            Yah.

Will be interesting when the typically uninformed keystone asks for my "alien registration card" and I tell him that I not have one.

Have they made it mandatory that we show them to cops? (like the "alien reg. card")
                            Undoubtedly.

Comment

I received a letter from the city office today.

There seems to be a couple of points.

While the card will be issued by immigration, the city office is in charge of residence registration.

According to my letter:
                              "Foreign residents shall be entered into the residence registry based on the Basic Registration Act
                              Accordingly, based on that same Act, we have created a temporary residence record for your household. This provisional residence record will become your residence record on July 9"

Basically it is a paper copy of what is on my gaijin card.

I have to check that is all correct. If it's all correct, then I don't have to do anything. If any information is incorrect then I take the paper,my gaijin card, my passport and go down to the city office to "complete procedures"

If you are single or the whole household are foreigners then it looks lije you don't have to do anything.

However, there are a number of places where "household" and "everyone in the family" is mentioned.
                              "Please confirm everyone in the household is enrolled correctly"
                              Also they write"if there are Japanese citizens in your household who need to change the information about "the head of the household" and "the relationship with the head of the household.." and then they give the procedures for that.

So - it seems that for those of us married to Japanese we may be finally be able to be on the Juminhyo together - if we take the steps to change the record.

It isn't really clear.
                              I'm going to call my city hall tomorrow and probably go in sometime this week to figure it out. If I can register all of us together I will, as soon as I can.

It seems that my city is one of the early ones, so I'll update here to let you know how it all works.

The card is a whole different thing and there is no special urgency to get one of those. We have until July 8 2015, or until we need to renew our gaijin cards - or (for those who are not permenant residents) until your visa runs out.

Comment

Working...
                              X