Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

Slightly more complex Visa question... it's a long story!...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly more complex Visa question... it's a long story!...

...hello, by the way...

I came to TYO in Feb on a tourist Visa, got stamped 90 days, left (to Thailand) after 20 days and came back 10 days later. I therefore was stamped with a FURTHER 90 days, but returned to the UK 13 days later.
    I have, therefore, only spent about 33 days actually IN Japan in that time. But I have been 'issued' with 180 days...

So my question is this-

Does this mean I have to wait another 180 days from the end of the final 90 days before I can return?

I plan to come back - again on a Tourist visa - in July...

No you don't need to wait and should be just fine.

Immigration only becomes suspicious if one stays for an abnormally long time in Japan for a "temporary visitor" (commonly referred to as a "tourist" visa, though that is incorrect terminology).
    ex. if you actually were in Japan for 180 days as a temporary visitor, then tried to return, Immigration becomes suspicious, as one starts to wonder if you are really a "temporary visitor" or trying to pull a fast one on immigration.

If you only stayed a total of 33 days split between two trips as a temporary visitor, that itself usually doesn't cause any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by JayCeeGee View Post
      ...hello, by the way...

I came to TYO in Feb on a tourist Visa, got stamped 90 days, left (to Thailand) after 20 days and came back 10 days later. I therefore was stamped with a FURTHER 90 days, but returned to the UK 13 days later.
      I have, therefore, only spent about 33 days actually IN Japan in that time. But I have been 'issued' with 180 days...
      The tourist visa clock gets set back to zero when you leave the country. You can not "accumulate" days coming and going on a tourist visa. so if you leave early thats all you end up with.

Comment

I recommend a Royal Bank Visa.

You can even get ones without annual fees, and there is no time limit like on these Tourist Visas.

I suppose there is a logic to a term limited Tourist Visa (no worries about card fraud after you return home, ease of accounting, etc.), but I would just use your regular Visa while abroad.

It just seems easier.
        Last edited by kurogane; 2012-05-06, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Ta for your replies, people... and yes, of course the correct terminology is 'Temporary Visitor Visa'...

I asked because elsewhere I had read that, for tax reasons, one can only spend A TOTAL of 180 days in a country such as Japan...
          Also, I can't really see how they have a record of you LEAVING the country - I don't remember there being all that entry palarvah upon exit...

Comment

They staple a little card to your passport when you enter the country, and they take it out when you leave. If you don't have it for some reason, they give you a new one to fill out. That's how they know when you leave.

Comment

Of course, of course - that would explain the staples in my passport... Ta.
              Right, where do I ask my teaching questions....? *stumbles off...*

Comment

Also, I can't really see how they have a record of you LEAVING the country - I don't remember there being all that entry palarvah upon exit...
                All UK passports have magnetic strips. They are scanned by Japanese Immigration upon entry AND exit. They know EVERYTHING about you...

--

Comment

Ta for your replies, people... and yes, of course the correct terminology is 'Temporary Visitor Visa'...

I asked because elsewhere I had read that, for tax reasons, one can only spend A TOTAL of 180 days in a country such as Japan...
                  You have a TOTAL of 33 days IN Japan.

Comment

The airlines report passenger lists on departure. Japan goes the extra step of passport control on departure, other countries do not.

For example, when you leave Canada or the USA they don't bother with anything at the airport, but if you cross the border by car you have to hand your entry card to the border staff.

Any country advanced enough to have, say, a decent power grid will always know who's coming and going.

Comment

...hello, by the way...

Slightly more complex Visa question... it's a long story!
                      Perhaps I am missing something, but what were the complex and long parts of this story?

Comment

Working...
                      X