X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asking for a copy of a koseki-tohon

i need to get a copy of my ex-wife's kosekitohn, to prove i'm divorced. i've been told before that if your name is on the koseki regardless of circumstance, you have a right to it, even if your divorced.

i'm assuming that the town hall officers will fobb me off and tell me some crap despite what i've read/been told all ready and not give me the koseki, so can someone give me a load of sentaces in japanese which will make things a run a bit smoother and maybe a link to webpage in japanese which confirms the above info which i could print and out and be like:
    "oh don't pull that ____ on me, here a piece of A4 paper with a some legal ____ printed on it, ha! Give me the koseki ____ head!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koseki

Originally posted by miramira View Post
    i need to get a copy of my ex-wife's kosekitohn, to prove i'm divorced. i've been told before that if your name is on the koseki regardless of circumstance, you have a right to it, even if your divorced.
    i[/url]
    If you are divorced you should have received a piece of paper called a 受理証明書 (juri-shomeisho) which certifies you are divorced.

FTR I have got my got my childrens resident certificates (住民表) twice since my divorce and they contacted her to get permission. My guess is they may contact her to get permssion before giving it to you. My understanding is if you are listed on the certificate as an ex-husband you are entitled to it.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
      If you are divorced you should have received a piece of paper called a 受理証明書 (juri-shomeisho) which certifies you are divorced.
      True, i should of, but she's an idiot!

Comment

FTR I have got my got my childrens resident certificates (住民表) twice since my divorce and they contacted her to get permission. My guess is they may contact her to get permssion before giving it to you. My understanding is if you are listed on the certificate as an ex-husband you are entitled to it.
        As far as I know,anyone can ask and receive the Koseki. It's public record but you might need to show and ID and sign a form. Besides,your name should be on there as well.

Comment

True, i should of, but she's an idiot!
          The city office sends it to you by mail. You provide a copy of your passport when you hand in your divorce papers. If you have not done so my guess is she didn't not hand in the paper and you are still married.

City office will have the records on file if she filed the papers.

PS I heard of a guy a few years ago put on a huge wedding reception and ceremony but his "wife" never submitted the koin-todoke marriage certificate to city office. Legally they were not married in Japan for over 10 years as a result.
          Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-06-25, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by madazzahatter View Post
            As far as I know,anyone can ask and receive the Koseki. It's public record but you might need to show and ID and sign a form. Besides,your name should be on there as well.
            Wow, so not true. This is private information. If you are listed on the koseki, you can get a copy, but you can't just ask for anyone's koseki and get it, no matter how much ID you have, unless you have some interest in it (i.e., debt collectors, executors of wills).

Comment

Originally posted by Seattlegirl View Post
              Wow, so not true. This is private information. If you are listed on the koseki, you can get a copy, but you can't just ask for anyone's koseki and get it, no matter how much ID you have, unless you have some interest in it (i.e., debt collectors, executors of wills).
              All you need is an ID and a reason...my brother in law has a side job as a private investigator in Tokyo.
              Your name SHOULD be on it to request a copy,but some places don't even ask for ID. And some peole lie to obtain copies. Just say your in the "collection" business.
              Last edited by madazzahatter; 2012-06-25, 09:57 AM.

Comment

All you need is an ID and a reason...my brother in law has a side job as a private investigator in Tokyo.
                who I can assume comes with a court warrant? Lots of private investigators are former cops.
                Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-06-25, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Your name SHOULD be on it to request a copy,but some places don't even ask for ID. And some peole lie to obtain copies. Just say your in the "collection" business.
                  I doubt very highly that would work for foreigners.

Comment

who I can assume comes with a court warrant?
                    I'm saying in a perfect world,people wouldn't give out such information.....my city hall is NOT perfect. That's true about many being former cops and some are even Yaks....
                    Last edited by madazzahatter; 2012-06-25, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattlegirl View Post
                      I doubt very highly that would work for foreigners.
                      Who knows,but in this case,his name is on the Koseki (he hopes so) so there is no issue.
                      By the way,wanna buy a fake ID? Passport? What'cha need?!

Comment

Why not just ask for a copy of the divorce papers? They copy the application for divorce, officially stamp it an all, and you're on your way.

Comment

can we not go off topic please!

so great in this thread we've worked out that 'yaks' and expolicemen regually steal kosekis from town halls all over japan, but you haven't answered my ____ing question!

If i was was to roll up to my town hall, when i return in august what do i say to them to get them to hand over the koseki with my name on it/jyurishomeisho, etc, and any links web to a page in japanese which states my right to the koseki with my name on it. so i can show them a piece of paper...

Comment

Information provided in koseki is detailed as well as sensitive and makes discrimination possible against such groups as burakumin or illegitimate children and unwed mothers, for example. As the burakumin liberation movement gained strength in postwar Japan some changes were made to family registries. In 1974 a notice that prohibited employers from asking prospective employees to show their family registry was released by the Ministry of Health and Welfare. In 1975 one's lineage name was deleted and in 1976 access to family registries was restricted. As of April 2007, anyone interested was eligible to get a copy of someone else's koseki. However, on May 1, 2008, a new law was implemented to limit the persons eligible for a copy to the persons whose names are recorded in a given koseki and those who need such a copy to exercise their due rights (debt collectors, executors of wills). Anyone who is listed on a koseki, even if their name has been crossed off by reason of divorce and even if they are not a Japanese citizen, is eligible to get a copy of that koseki. One can obtain a copy in person or by mail. Lawyers can also obtain copies of any koseki if a person listed is involved in legal proceedings.

You can translate this or even check WIKIPEDIA in Japanese under Koseki.

Comment

so great in this thread we've worked out that 'yaks' and expolicemen regually steal kosekis from town halls all over japan, but you haven't answered my ____ing question!

If i was was to roll up to my town hall, when i return in august what do i say to them to get them to hand over the koseki with my name on it/jyurishomeisho, etc, and any links web to a page in japanese which states my right to the koseki with my name on it. so i can show them a piece of paper...

I guess your question has now been answered (above) though I suspect it'll still come down to who you deal with on the day.

My point was I was able to prove divorce without ever getting the koseki.

Comment

Working...
                              X