Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Module
Collapse

Spousal visa app: trans. of marraige cert. necessary if already filed konin todoke?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal visa app: trans. of marraige cert. necessary if already filed konin todoke?

Sorry for all the abbreviations but I maxed out the character limit on the subject line.

Hubs (Japanese) and I got married in the U.S. last year, we gave the konin todoke at city hall two months later, and now we're filing for a spousal visa since my work visa is up in August.

I read that for the requirements an original marriage certificate and translation of the marriage certificate was necessary to submit with the application and all the other necessary documents. Is this still required if you've already filed the konin todoke? And in the case it's not, do you even need to present the original marriage certificate at all? Would be nice to have one less document to deal with/thing to translate.

Originally posted by mizutama View Post
    Sorry for all the abbreviations but I maxed out the character limit on the subject line.

Hubs (Japanese) and I got married in the U.S. last year, we gave the konin todoke at city hall two months later, and now we're filing for a spousal visa since my work visa is up in August.

I read that for the requirements an original marriage certificate and translation of the marriage certificate was necessary to submit with the application and all the other necessary documents. Is this still required if you've already filed the konin todoke?
    Yup. Or Certified Copy.

And in the case it's not, do you even need to present the original marriage certificate at all? Would be nice to have one less document to deal with/thing to translate.
    Yes, you'll need it. You'll also need your original Birth Certificate, or a certified copy, and two passport-sized photos for your Alien Registration Card.

Bonus points if you shoot a raspberry to the camera.
    Last edited by YokohamaTommy; 2012-06-29, 01:15 AM.

Comment

OK, thanks for that. I have both so that shouldn't be a problem but what a pain to translate the marriage/birth certificate again.

Comment

OK, thanks for that. I have both so that shouldn't be a problem but what a pain to translate the marriage/birth certificate again.
        It's a good idea to order several copies of both your marriage cert and birth cert.
        Chances are you'll need them again at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
          two passport-sized photos for your Alien Registration Card.

Bonus points if you shoot a raspberry to the camera.
          I already have an ARC, though..?

Or unless you mean for the new card that will be issued? Unfortunately I have to file this coming Monday before the system change since it's the only two days hubs and I have off together to go to immigration.

Comment

It's a good idea to order several copies of both your marriage cert and birth cert.
            Chances are you'll need them again at some point.
            I do, I have about 3 copies of each just based on past experiences of trying to do anything here and not getting your documents back.

Comment

I already have an ARC, though..?

Or unless you mean for the new card that will be issued? Unfortunately I have to file this coming Monday before the system change since it's the only two days hubs and I have off together to go to immigration.
              You are changing your visa status, correct?
              That should be a new card.

Comment

You are changing your visa status, correct?
                That should be a new card.
                But isn't the ARC still done at city hall until the system changes July 9th? Either way I have photos since I just did the passport name change a month ago.

Comment

New ARC is probably not needed just because you get married. A notation will likely be made on the current card. That's probably all.

If you think it's a pain to translate the documents again, stick around. You'll probably run into far more pains living here as far as bureaucracies go. Having kids will contribute majorly to that pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                    New ARC is probably not needed just because you get married. A notation will likely be made on the current card. That's probably all.

If you think it's a pain to translate the documents again, stick around. You'll probably run into far more pains living here as far as bureaucracies go. Having kids will contribute majorly to that pain.
                    Oh, I've had my fair share already. The pain of translating them isn't really my pain, though... hubs gets to do that job. I went to city hall today to see if they would give me a copy of the translations we submitted for the konin todoke to save him some time and they were like, "No, applying for a spousal visa is not a valid reason to get a copy." I wonder what is a valid reason, then? You would think they'd prefer for the translations to be consistent. Guess not. At least the embassy could have given me template for translating since they knew I was planning to file after getting my passport renewed. I'm used to Japan's hoop game, though.

We're not sure if we want kids so I guess if we never bite the bullet on that one it'll be another plus to being childfree. Luckily for me nosy MIL is not in the picture to protest about it.
                    Last edited by mizutama; 2012-06-29, 08:11 PM.

Comment

That will teach you - always copy everything you file and keep it about twice as long as you think you need to.

Comment

Working...
                      X