Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

"found guilty of a criminal offence" question on landing card/general immigration q's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "found guilty of a criminal offence" question on landing card/general immigration q's

I'm an Australian citizen and therefore apply for a visa waiver for tourism, however I have several criminal offences against my name (10, 5 and 1 year ago) the last one being the only one resulting in a conviction unfortunately. Dishonesty offences, nothing violent or overly serious. From what I've seen online, including the poor soul from this very forum section that was sent back, everyone that has answered YES to "have you been found guilty of a criminal offence in Japan or another country?" has been turned back. Haven't heard much about people getting away with it, however the general consensus is that Japan has strict privacy laws and cannot access such records of another country in real-time (the latter according to an ex-pat, as a work permit apparently takes 8 weeks to be granted, therefore giving enough time for a check - he had a record and was mysteriously turned down). So, I just want to make absolutely sure than in this case, honesty is not the best policy? I may appear more nervous than the average traveller due to it being my first time overseas, and having aspergers syndrome (mild form of autism).

I'm looking at entering either via Narita or Osaka and getting the bullet train to Tokyo without a reservation, seeing they run so often. I'd prefer not to have to make a hotel booking however if this would cause a red flag at immigration, I guess it would be better to. Also I do not have a credit card, only a visa debit card, however this can be loaded with my (quite significant) savings online. I've seen a lot of border security shows here in Aus where people with not enough cash are sometimes sent back to their country, would having $1000 cash with the option of drawing on my savings raise any suspicions? I guess the only other concern I have is immigration poking around as to how a disability pensioner can afford to travel/has $11,000 savings, or worse yet, suspecting that I might work (my answer would be, no, I'm unfit for work as determined by the australian government).

Thanks everyone in advance for any light you can shed on all this.

Originally posted by bluejeans View Post
    I'm an Australian citizen and therefore apply for a visa waiver for tourism, however I have several criminal offences against my name (10, 5 and 1 year ago) the last one being the only one resulting in a conviction unfortunately. Dishonesty offences, nothing violent or overly serious. From what I've seen online, including the poor soul from this very forum section that was sent back, everyone that has answered YES to "have you been found guilty of a criminal offence in Japan or another country?" has been turned back. Haven't heard much about people getting away with it, however the general consensus is that Japan has strict privacy laws and cannot access such records of another country in real-time (the latter according to an ex-pat, as a work permit apparently takes 8 weeks to be granted, therefore giving enough time for a check - he had a record and was mysteriously turned down). So, I just want to make absolutely sure than in this case, honesty is not the best policy? I may appear more nervous than the average traveller due to it being my first time overseas, and having aspergers syndrome (mild form of autism).

I'm looking at entering either via Narita or Osaka and getting the bullet train to Tokyo without a reservation, seeing they run so often. I'd prefer not to have to make a hotel booking however if this would cause a red flag at immigration, I guess it would be better to. Also I do not have a credit card, only a visa debit card, however this can be loaded with my (quite significant) savings online. I've seen a lot of border security shows here in Aus where people with not enough cash are sometimes sent back to their country, would having $1000 cash with the option of drawing on my savings raise any suspicions? I guess the only other concern I have is immigration poking around as to how a disability pensioner can afford to travel/has $11,000 savings, or worse yet, suspecting that I might work (my answer would be, no, I'm unfit for work as determined by the australian government).

No light, just a question - Why do you want to come to Japan so badly?

Comment

Maybe you ought to go for a swim with stingrays.

Comment

Originally posted by Call_It_Like_Eye_See_It View Post
        No light, just a question - Why do you want to come to Japan so badly?
        Cheap airfares that are going to raise significantly once december starts, until at least February, fascinated by the culture, the most populous city on earth, and the incredibly efficient and comprehensive public transport, and kicking myself for not staying in Japanese classes for a third year (16 years ago) as I could have gone with school... I could go to, for example, South Korea with no such worry about my record however I just can't get myself nearly as excited about the place as Japan. I understand there is racism of sort towards foreigners but also understand I'm not likely to come across it significantly when on a holiday. By demeanour is not at all brash and loud like some of the Australians that frequent places such as Bali and Phuket, apart from the obvious immigration transgressing that I would be undertaking, I believe I will come across as respectful, understanding of (as much as is possible with limited first-hand knowledge) and non-judgemental of a different and what will perhaps seem at times to be a bizarre culture. I put up with a lot of aggravating situations here without so much as a peep out of myself (ones which my social worker with a Vietnamese partner completely loses his cool about, particularly the government red-tape he encounters) so I doubt I'll really have much of a problem and enjoy the trip greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
          Maybe you ought to go for a swim with stingrays.
          You'd probably not be surprised that there are widespread reports that Steve Irwin drugged half the crocodiles before "catching" them...

Comment

You'd probably not be surprised that there are widespread reports that Steve Irwin drugged half the crocodiles before "catching" them...
            The date rape drug?

Comment

The date rape drug?
              Lol.

Seriously, can anyone give me any advice here? If not with the landing card question, then with anything else at least?

Comment

Lol.

Seriously, can anyone give me any advice here? If not with the landing card question, then with anything else at least?
                Answer No to all the criminal offense Qs etc. and have a 1000 in hand (this is walking around money in Japan), and write down the name of some hotel such as: Toyoko Inn Tokyo Nihon-bashi Ningyo-cho. You'll be fine unless the Oz officials share criminal records with the J ones (not likely). Good luck.

Edit: Make sure you have a return ticket with a return date.

Comment

Answer No to all the criminal offense Qs etc. and have a 1000 in hand (this is walking around money in Japan), and write down the name of some hotel such as: Toyoko Inn Tokyo Nihon-bashi Ningyo-cho. You'll be fine unless the Oz officials share criminal records with the J ones (not likely). Good luck.

Edit: Make sure you have a return ticket with a return date.
                  They're not likely to phone up and check?

Comment

They're not likely to phone up and check?
                    No. They don't care.

Comment

I'm an Australian citizen and therefore apply for a visa waiver for tourism, however I have several criminal offences against my name (10, 5 and 1 year ago) the last one being the only one resulting in a conviction unfortunately. Dishonesty offences, nothing violent or overly serious.

So, I just want to make absolutely sure than in this case, honesty is not the best policy?
                      Well dishonesty seems to be the way you like to operate, so why bother asking?

I guess the only other concern I have is immigration poking around as to how a disability pensioner can afford to travel/has $11,000 savings
                      Just a guess: obtained by dishonest means?

You're very welcome.

(Hint: that was dishonest.)

Smugly,
                      A.

Comment

So, I just want to make absolutely sure than in this case, honesty is not the best policy?
                        If somebody on these forums says "Sure, no worries mate. Just check 'No'. Immigration never does background checks and, as long as Australia doesn't tell them anything, you will be OK.", then you find yourself being denied entry, who you gonna call? Ghostbusters?

No 100% guarantees in anything. Either you want to roll the dice or you don't. People have been turned back before and others haven't it. That's the best anyone can say. Just don't come in all tanked up looking like a drug mule and have a dodgy itinerary and you should be fine. Immigration moves in mysterious ways, the law is pretty much what they say it is. Don't give them a reason to be suspicious and maybe you'll just slip through the cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Agitator View Post
                          Just a guess: obtained by dishonest means?
                          I won't bother with the rest, but for the sake of others wondering, no, not at all. Saved up over the last 10 years. I think someone being able to save up 6% or so surely isn't that hard to believe?

Comment

I understand there is racism of sort towards foreigners
                            What racism are you talking about? Do you mean some locals attack foreigners like what happened in Cronulla riots? It always quite funny when australians bring the "racism problem" on the table. People like you invaded many non-caucasian places then started talking about "white pride". At least Japan never got the japanese version of "White Australia Policy", so please stop playing the racism victim card, you are not good on that one.

Let me tell you this: last time I visited Australia, it was 6 years ago, I was asked to open my bag in EVERY single shop I visited. Never happened to me in Japan or in any country I went to. I just hate your country. I hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney_King View Post
                              What racism are you talking about? Do you mean some locals attack foreigners like what happened in Cronulla riots? It always quite funny when australians bring the "racism problem" on the table. People like you invaded many non-caucasian places then started talking about "white pride". At least Japan never got the japanese version of "White Australia Policy", so please stop playing the racism victim card, you are not good on that one.
                              I agree with everything you say and I wasn't trying to say something like "oh,immigration might single me out because I'm a gaijin" and was not trying to represent that racism doesn't exist here. I just meant to show that I'm aware of issues such as some establishments having the "no foreigners" signs and that I'd read up a little on the topic, and that I realize that racism in Japan takes on a less overt form than other countries, mine included. I don't expect the red carpet to be rolled out for me just because I have white skin, like what might happen in places such as Bali or Thailand. Australia is likely one of the most racist western countries on earth imo, especially due to what some of my otherwise rational friends say, such as "If they needed my help, I'd leave them to die and only help the good ones" - when I asked what constituted a "good one" she very quickly changed the topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X