This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostessing

I know this probably sounds weird, but I am thinking I want to go hostessing in Tokyo. At the moment I have a great job here, but my visa is for another month after i finish my contract, and I think it would be fun to see another side of Japanese life.

I've had a look through the forums, but was wondering if anyone knows any more about hostessing, I have read it can be scary, but Im pretty scary too, so Im not too worried about that.

Any hints for where to get a job and what to expect would be appriecated

Nothing weird about it. After Engrish Teaching, Hostessing is one of major young gaijin occupations.
    Why don`t you move to a gaijin house and talk to some girls who do it. Usually, valuable information is on the grapevine.

Comment

I found this site interesting http://www.bigempire.com/sake/hostess1.html

Just has interviews with a bunch of hostesses...

Comment

Are you talking about this murder case?
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2311229.stm

I think this can happen to anybody anywhere.

Tell me things you are worried about. I maybe able to answer your questions.
        Last edited by kay24; 2007-01-25, 03:43 PM.

Comment

So, you want a job for just a month? You'll have to give notice the day you are hired, practically.

Some say hostessing is a good way to make lots of money, but I'm not sure if that applies for foreigners or just to the Japanese.

How is your Japanese language ability, anyway? You'll have to use it to some degree, especially for the interview.

Got enough nice clothes to wear in the bar? You'll need them. I also hope you like lots of smoke and drinking and being ogled and talked about (directly and indirectly).

Oh, and if you think English teachers here have a poor reputation, hostesses probably have an even worse one.

Hmm, always wondered just what is a proper visa for a hostess?

Comment

Originally posted by Gertie
            I know this probably sounds weird, but I am thinking I want to go hostessing in Tokyo. At the moment I have a great job here, but my visa is for another month after i finish my contract, and I think it would be fun to see another side of Japanese life.

I've had a look through the forums, but was wondering if anyone knows any more about hostessing, I have read it can be scary, but Im pretty scary too, so Im not too worried about that.

Any hints for where to get a job and what to expect would be appriecated
            I would have thought that Ginza or Roppongi are the places to go. If you walk around the clubs and look at the signs, one of the scouts will probably approach you (provided, of course, that you are at least moderately attractive). Get many J-girls drunk and they will tell you that they have been approached to work there, and the occasional female Nova teacher has the same offer made to them.

I doubt you need too much Japanese, and, if it is only for a month...

Good for you, by the way! It sounds like a fun thing to try and, as you know, a hostess is not the same as a prostitute. If nothing else, you will gain fascinating dinner anecdotes for use in later life.

Your reputation? Ignore Glenski's sanctimonious post. He lives in Hokkaido or some such いなか sh!thole, and the only hostesses he can afford are black and white and go "mooo!"

Comment

It would be entertainer, which surprisingly is the largest non-family (spouse, dependant) working visa group.

http://www.moj.go.jp/NYUKAN/nyukan46.html

("Data Section" - breakdown of foreigners by Visa type)

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok
                It would be entertainer, which surprisingly is the largest non-family (spouse, dependant) working visa group.

http://www.moj.go.jp/NYUKAN/nyukan46.html

("Data Section" - breakdown of foreigners by Visa type)
                Yeah, but if she is only doing it for a month, why not just work (illegally, sure, but who cares) on her current visa? She'll probably get paid cash in hand anyway. It's not like she wants to sign up for the pension plan.

Still - a useful post if she likes the job and wants to stay. Cheers!

Comment

thebunny wrote:
                  Your reputation? Ignore Glenski's sanctimonious post. He lives in Hokkaido or some such Ȃ@sh!thole, and the only hostesses he can afford are black and white and go "mooo!"
                  I didn't give a hoot about her reputation, moron. You totally misread what I wrote about people speaking about you directly and indirectly.

As for encouraging her to work illegally, I think that speaks volumes about your own credibility. What if she decides to stay longer than a month? What if immigration chooses her work period to raid the place? You can bet that "thebunny" won't be around to help you out.

Get the proper visa if you want to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebunnyhauntsme
                    the only hostesses he can afford are black and white and go "mooo!"
                    Cow-panion Stage??????????

That could be a hot niche!

PS hostessing is not fun. It's work.

If you want fun, go drinking with your friends.

Comment

Thanks for all your help, I have an instructors visa, and have heard that it wouldnt be a probelm to work with this in a bar... I really wouldnt be doing it to make a lot of money, just for the experience. I speak Japanese.. hopefully enough, i have never had any problem with communicating while I have been here, its just the 1 month thing that worries me now, do you think i would be able to get a job planning to only stay a month?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski
                        Hmm, always wondered just what is a proper visa for a hostess?

Hostesses are technically entertainers and all the Japayuki bar dancers and strippers came on entertainer visas. Visas for Filipinos for that kind of work now have more stringent requirements but its easier for western (e.g. Russian) and Caucasian women to get work.

You probably wont get much work/money for a month but you will likely need a decent wardrobe (maybe you can borrow dresses?). You get paid according to how much you can get customers to order in drinks and you are expected to generate repeat business i.e. get customers to come back and you have to call them and invite them to the bar. 'Dates' are encouraged with clients and sleeping with them is pretty much up to you. Hostesses are not prostitute but they may use the lure of sex to entice customers to spend money. If you can get them to part with their cash at your club, buying you drinks all the better.

Lucie Blackman's murder was an isolated case and its unlikely to happen again.
                        Last edited by paulh; 2007-01-25, 02:48 PM.

Comment

technically technically speaking, there is no visa for hostessing. entertainer visa is for dancing. Those Filipino hostesses are technically illigal workers even if they have entertainer visas. Just for your info.

Comment

Originally posted by kay24
                            technically technically speaking, there is no visa for hostessing. entertainer visa is for dancing. Those Filipino hostesses are technically illigal workers even if they have entertainer visas. Just for your info.
                            They are not technically illegal if they technically have employers and their work visas are sponsored (usually by a job broker or the yaks).

Comment

Actually they are illigal, and that's why the police can arrest a Fillipino hostess with a valid visa whenever they like. The police don't arrest Westerners because it's Westerners.

You probably wont get much work/money for a month but you will likely need a decent wardrobe (maybe you can borrow dresses?). You get paid according to how much you can get customers to order in drinks and you are expected to generate repeat business i.e. get customers to come back and you have to call them and invite them to the bar. 'Dates' are encouraged with clients and sleeping with them is pretty much up to you. Hostesses are not prostitute but they may use the lure of sex to entice customers to spend money. If you can get them to part with their cash at your club, buying you drinks all the better.
                              BTW. I fully agree with your commnet.
                              Last edited by kay24; 2007-01-25, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X