X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANCER RESEARCH

Any ideas on where to look for jobs in research such as biomedical or cancer research, either at a university or in private labs?

Re: CANCER RESEARCH

Cancer Research is a rather large area, and depends which aspect you are looking at, basic, genomic, pharmacological, clinical, epidemiological, and also any speciality, e.g. blood, nervous system, GI, immunological. Same goes for Biomedical Research.

Better start off by telling what your own qualifications are, any experience, and what you can actually do; any langauge skills, and whther you are looking for a short-term position, or making a career here.

Private labs - very few, unless you mean Japan Pharmaceutical Companies, who do not have a good track record in the area. Universities, a few possibilities there, if you can speak the language, and follow guidance strictly!

While cancer is a trendy topic, and there are lots of raw data; the actual management here is pretty poor, due to absence of real oncologists, and rather muddled scientific thinking. Biomedical - few real advances have come out of this country, many me-too or copy drugs, some interesting diagnostics, that's about it!

Comment

I am interested by your statement "follow giudlines strictly". As a JSPS Fellow just starting in Kyoto, I am very interested in others opinions on how scientific work is carried out in Japan. Obviously I will form my own opinions but I would appreciate some others too at this early point in doing research in Japan.

P.S. so far everyone has been extremely helpful and friendly I am more interested in how the preceived opinion of Japanese workers not to question superiors fits into research which requires questions to be asked continuously.

Comment

The organization STAG may offer some help. They have a nice booklet on how to look for scientific jobs in Japan. Mostly geared towards PhD types and short-timers.

Comment

cheers for the info, wanting to go into gene therapy, but don't think my japanese is up to scratch. another question - would you recommon=end me to participate in a programme such as jet so i get a feel for japan (even though i have no desire to be a teacher) or just come out there and try my luck?

Comment

al, What is you level of education? If you have finished your Ph.D., you might want to apply for a postdoc position in one of the national laboratories. I don't know much about medicine and biology in Japan, but it is possible to do good research work in Japan. I had a great lab and professors when I was doing my Masters and Ph.D. research in a Japanese university, and some of the work we did was on a par with the best labs in the world (robotics and micro-machines). The two professors I worked with had a lot of drive and enthusiasm, and were open to *all* ideas. In fact, we were almost given too much leeway to choose our own areas of research and study!

Other parts of our department, however, were hurting for funding, and motivation. It really depends on what professors / research group you get hooked up with. And one big difference that I experienced vis-a-vis the US was that there was very little brainstorming that took place in the lab between students, except between myself and the other international student, and our supervisors.

In any case, I know of the National Cancer Center because it has a campus only a couple of stations away from my house. Postdocs are offered, and you might want to look at their website for a start:
            http://www.ncc.go.jp/en/nccri/index.html

If you don't have a Ph.D. yet, you might want to consider applying for a scholarship through the Monbusho (now called the Monbukagakusho). Details at your nearest Japanese Consulate, and all over the Internet.

>>> would you recommon=end me to participate in a programme such as jet so i get a feel for japan (even though i have no desire to be a teacher) or just come out there and try my luck?<<<

No, don't waste your time, and your future student's time, with JET if you aren't at least somewhat interested in teaching. And if you read through these boards, you'll see that the main employment that people coming over here to "try their luck" end up with is teaching English. If you *really* want to do reaserch, you should be contacting people who do research, both at home and in Japan, starting with people in your current lab/company/school. It's a whole lot easier to find a position through contacts in the research community than to try walking the streets of Tokyo. At least IMHO.

Cheers,
            Hiyodori

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
              The organization STAG may offer some help. They have a nice booklet on how to look for scientific jobs in Japan. Mostly geared towards PhD types and short-timers.
              how would i find this nice booklet? please tell me the furhter info. thanks!

Comment

Researcher

I believe there a lot of opportunities here for researchers. Im a biologist and I'm now working in a pesticide consulting firm. My working condition is really good. I learn many things from my Boss and we often have discussions. I am not really working on a specific research or cutting-edge study. I monitor OECD toxicology studies conducted by our contract laboratories abroad. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                X