X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much to charge- private kids lessons/business workshops

am about to start teaching a once a week private 2 hour group lesson/corporate workshop in business english (on the company premises) - and also a once a week 1 hour private lesson to 2 kids age 9 and 12 (in their family home)

have never done private teaching before but my regular salary as an EFL teacher needs some boosting so i'm branching out on my own in my free time.

only i have no idea what to charge??? any ideas???

thanks for any opinions....

Originally posted by bishbashbosh
    am about to start teaching a once a week private 2 hour group lesson/corporate workshop in business english (on the company premises)
    I'd say 12,000 for the two hours. I'm not sure but I would assume this is under current market rate if the company were to contact someone like GEOS. I don't think you'll scare them off with a rate of 12,000.

and also a once a week 1 hour private lesson to 2 kids age 9 and 12 (in their family home).
    I'd say 5000 for the hour if they don't live too far away.

Comment

am about to start teaching a once a week private 2 hour group lesson/corporate workshop in business english (on the company premises) - and also a once a week 1 hour private lesson to 2 kids age 9 and 12 (in their family home)
      Charge them by the month. Usually, once a week means 4 times a month. If you teach them on e.g. Tuesdays you might wanna consider what to do when there are 5 Tuesdays in a month, though. Skip one or get extra pay for the fifth Tuesday. Mondays is a whole other problem because there are so many Happy Mondays (national holidays) when lots of companies are closed and families go on a trip. You gotta consider and talk to them about that kinda stuff. I say by the month because that's how companies work, that's how lots of small eikaiwa do business, and that's how housewives pay for their stuff. It's called gessha (monthly lesson fees). You might also wanna get some receipts to hand them when you get paid. Regarding the payment itself I'd say Y40,000/month for the company lessons (that's cheap considering they could get an expensive Berlitz business English teacher over), including transportation and lesson materials, and Y20,000/month for the kids (that's also cheap considering they could go to an eikaiwa and pay at least 30,000 for semi-private lessons), also include transportation and lesson materials for good measure and act of good faith. Good luck. It's a good gig.

Comment

Group lesson/corporate workshop.

Sounds horrendous. How many in the group?
        Have you done a level check yet to see what wide range of abilities you'll be dealing with?

What are the actual needs/wants of the group? How much do you figure you'll have to prepare?

Comment

Don't forget to add the 600 yen for the cup of Saizeriya coffee. That should bring the rate up to 1000. Bring a thermos to pour the coffee into.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacque_S
            Don't forget to add the 600 yen for the cup of Saizeriya coffee. That should bring the rate up to 1000. Bring a thermos to pour the coffee into.
            Since most companies have vending machines installed and housewives know how to pour coffee, that sound like ridiculous advice. The rate you're talking about isn't even being considered and you're clearly on too much caffeine or something else yourself. Pull yourself together, maybe get some fresh air...

Comment

Apparently I've touched a nerve. Is the kohi-dai now being refused too?

Comment

Apparently I've touched a nerve.
                Apparently you are out of touch.

Comment

Or out of coffee.

Comment

Or out of coffee.
                    In which case I would ask you as to the reason, but I really can't be bothered with any more of this trivial neighbor-like chit-shat 'cause it's way past my bedtime and I gotta do some damage tomorrow, so I'm it's 'night-night Jacque'. Hope you'll find what you're looking for. You sure seem to be lost...

Comment

Originally posted by ひさしぶり
                      I gotta do some damage tomorrow
                      Is that what they call the housewife lessons now?

Comment

how much to charge- private kids lessons/business workshops

Is that what they call the housewife lessons now?
                        That's borderline off-topic and the question mark implies more baiting but I have another 250 left in my Asahi so I bite.

No, that's not how they call the housewife lessons now.

Anything else? Okay then! So, we can just get on with matters that concern us and you obviously know nothing about and everyone is happy...

Glad to have been of help.

Take care Jacque.

Comment

Originally posted by ひさしぶり
                          I have another 250 left in my Asahi so I bite.
                          I didn't know they sold it in installments.

Comment

Working...
                          X