Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEFL - waste of time or good investment

Hello,
    I'm curious about TEFL courses. I've considered taking one to further my teaching skills as I have no significant teaching experience. I'm sure they must have some benefit, but from reading about them I can't help but think the whole thing is just a money making scheme. Do people find they've helped much in developing teaching skills and/or employment opportunities? I have a university degree already but if a TEFL course would be of genuine benefit I'd be open to it. Thanks.

Re: TEFL - waste of time or good investment

You should check out http://www.onlinetefl.com After completing their course I found a job at the University. Most jobs require the degree with a TEFL certificate. Good Luck!

Comment

Any "piece of paper" can be of use. You may find out someday that a TEFL "certicate" can get you a job.

However, this is Japan. You basically need to breathe and nod your head and that's all the "qualifications" that you'll need. Try the JET "scheme". Easy money. Travel paid for. Apartment provided. Virtually no work to do AT ALL! A very sweet deal!

I teach 8 university classes and NO ONE has ever asked me about "TEFL" or "TESL" or "TOEFL" or any of that jazz.

If you want jobs, then HUSTLE!

Have a great GAIJIN WEEKEND IN THOSE GAIJIN BARS!

YEAH!

Comment

Although a wee bit overpriced, TEFL and TESL and TOESL certificates really do open alot of doors in terms of employment - and if you go to a good school, I think they do make you a better teacher.
        I agree that in Japan they're really not necessary - but if you want to travel and teach (especially in Europe) they are a must.

Comment

Working...
        X