X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Entrance Interview

A colleague asked me about prepping a student for a High school entrance interview in English. They have no details about what might be asked, only that this student will be the first person to ever attend the interview from the junior high.

With no information at hand can anyone hazard a guess as to what questions are likely to be asked and how to prepare for a blind interview. Naughty comments will result in being furballed! BEWARE!

If you don't know what they are going to ask, it's usually best to practice introducing yourself, talking about what you are good at, not good at(school subjects), what you want to be in the future. If it's me, it makes a good impression if the kid makes eye contact, smiles a little, and is able to ask the interviewer to repeat or clarify the question. Warn them not to just be silent, nothing worse than that, right.

Comment

What I have done so far is to tell the student to list as many possible positive words they can use in conversation based on the idea of what the ideal candidate would be as a student for the school and also the career they are seeking to pursue, which is a flight attendant. I wrote out the good and bad points for that and then wrote a series of questions the teacher could ask to elicit answers from the student.

For example, teamwork...Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a good team. What did you do? Why was it a good team? and Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a bad team. What happened? Why was it a bad team? Also more basic questions such as: Is your health important to you? What kind of exercise do you do? How often? linking the questions to competencies that would make up the job and also considering the aims of the school.

Then again, I've never been through the situation so what do I know..

I should've added initially that the student is pretty much fluent in English and the high school one geared up for foreign studies.

Comment

One piece of advice I give my students in such a situation is to put themselves in the interviewer's shoes. Whether Japanese or foreign, the person is going to interview many people during that period, and the ones that stand out are the ones that will be recommended. Two concrete points: answer plus; i.e., make sure to add extra information to pad an answer ("Where do you live?" "I live in Oe machi. It is a very nice place to live. Have you been there?") Second, turn the interview on its head by asking the interviewer questions. This works particularly well if the interviewer is a foreigner.

Coach your students in how to stand out and they will do fine.

Comment

Working...
        X