Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westgate Corporation...any info?

Hey, everyone!

Has anyone ever worked for the Westgate Corporation? They seem to have some different options for teaching, so I was wondering if anyone out there had direct experience working for them...

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Re: Westgate Corporation...any info?

I just finished a semester accredited conversation classes with them in mid July. They rocked. The training was good, my managers were helpful and just solved problems for us, only experienced teachers working there, friendly (beginner.....still) 1st year students, always got paid fully on time. Didn't take their accom as I already had a place of my own, but it's basic, clean and new, empty apartment. you'll have to buy kitchen stuff and then somehow throw it all out three months later. There not very flexible on transfers. I've been trying to hit them up for next semester in Nagoya but they've declined, 7 weeks in advance but I guess that's life.

Markos

Comment

How about their University program? It seems interesting as well.

Comment

The University program is what I did. But basically it was daily eikaiwa conversation classes with a bunch of friendly first year students who are settling into the cushy uni life. Nothing too demanding, and they provide lesson plans that you can follow or butcher alike. Most of the university programs are optional, after-hour paid eikaiwa style classes, but my school had the compulsary, accredited classes, and students tended to be less motivated, but still interested in having some fun and learning a few things before the bell rang.

Markos

Comment

Markos,
          When you refused the accommodation, were they kosher with that? I have heard they can get quite sticky about it?

BTW, How's Mie, and life renewed?

Comment

Not in Mie yet, still in Chiba for a few more days.

They seemed fine with it, I just told them I was moving here and that was that, but they want you to have secured a place 6+ weeks in advance, so it isn't practical unless you are intending to stay or are already there.

Comment

When I left Japan about 4 years ago, I remember hearing about a big scandle at Westgate in the spring of 2000. Westgate somehow screwed over a dozen or so gaijin. I don't know all the details, but you might want to pose your question on www.eslcafe.com's forum as well. Whether they are again reputable or not is an issue. Since four years ago, several complaints about them have popped up on forums like this. But, at the same time, I've also seen positive comments like the one from markosonline above.

Comment

Marcos, how were they regarding rent/key money? It seems like it could be expensive, especially in and around Tokyo. Also, was there housing quite far from the schools?

Comment

With the provided accomodation they take it out of your pay, there is a bond taken out too that you get back when you leave, maybe minus a cleaning fee or something. So your first pay isn't that great but you get the bond back at the end of your stay.

Not a bad deal, all in all, although the rent is a bit pricey and the places are normally 30-60 minutes out out from your school.

Markos

Comment

Thanks Markos. I thought that their representation of their accommodation was a bit fishy: far away, and expensive to boot. Not that its easy, but if you know the ropes, you can usually find something better, dont ya think?

Comment

If you're intending to stay in the area, why not?

But you'll have to fork out for bond and key money and get your own furniture. The advantage of the westgate accommodation is that you get three months fairly free of hassles, and then a lot of the teachers move on, another country, back home or to another job in Japan. They don't have to worry about that, and they only are paying a little extra for the convenience. It really depends upon your intentions for the months/years after the contract.

Markos

Comment

Yup. Hows Mie, and la femme nouvelle?

Comment

Haha, get there tomorrow and find out I guess. But I have to say a goodbye first.

Markos

Comment

Markos,

Thanks for your great advice. A few more questions, sil vous plait...

1) How do they handle the plane tickets if one is coming from overseas? Did you have to buy them and get the partial reimbursement after you settled in?

2) Can you extend after your initial, one-term contract? What do folks do during the (unpaid, I presume) break between terms?

3) Being somewhere in or around Tokyo, is their salary really enough to live on??

Thanks!

Comment

Westgate pays you back for tickets in two payments.
                              Yes, you can extend your contract, but there is a 2-3 month gap between working periods that you will have to fend for yourself.
                              Yes, the salary is enough to "live on". Depends on your lifestyle.

Go to www.eslcafe.com/discussion (Japan forum, of course) and read the growing thread on Westgate.

Comment

Working...
                              X