X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Time ALT vs Part-time + Freelance

I'm considering two positions and just wanted to know the pros and cons of both and get other opinions in case I overlooked something. I've never taught English before, my Japanese is about N3 level, and I've been in Japan now about 9 months. I'm aware option 1 pays more, but I think Option 2 has more earning potential if I get steady clients, plus more flexibility.

Option 1:
    Full time ALT position: 245,000yen/month
    Combination JHS and Elementary
    Work visa provided

Option 2:
    Part time ALT position (3days/week): 156,000yen/month
    JHS only and Work visa provided
    On days off/holidays: Gaba, private lessons, and substitute: +41,000yen/month (see below)
    Total minimum income: 197,000yen/month

For those who have done it before, how difficult is it to get lessons at Gaba or students for private lessons?

Here are the minimums I'd need to bring in from each source to get the total income above.

12,000yen - 4 private lessons a month @ 3000
    11,000yen - Sub at least once a month
    18,000yen - 3 lessons a week at Gaba

Originally posted by hotrod68camaro View Post
    I'm considering two positions and just wanted to know the pros and cons of both and get other opinions in case I overlooked something. I've never taught English before, my Japanese is about N3 level, and I've been in Japan now about 9 months. I'm aware option 1 pays more, but I think Option 2 has more earning potential if I get steady clients, plus more flexibility.

Option 1:
    Work visa provided

Option 2:
    On days off/holidays: Gaba, private lessons, and substitute: +41,000yen/month (see below)

For those who have done it before, how difficult is it to get lessons at Gaba or students for private lessons?

Here are the minimums I'd need to bring in from each source to get the total income above.

12,000yen - 4 private lessons a month @ 3000
    11,000yen - Sub at least once a month
    18,000yen - 3 lessons a week at Gaba
    Don't know about Gaba, but go for Option 2. ALT @ a junior high is a breeze. I wouldn't mind doing that later on as a semi-retiree.

Comment

One

I'd take option 1, primary isn't that much more difficult. The JTE is likely to do most of the heavy lifting anyway. Why stress yourself out about having to get X number of lessons.

Comment

Option 1:
        Work visa provided

Option 2:
        What's your current visa? Are you working anywhere now FT or PT?

Comment

Visa issue

Option 1:
          Work visa provided

Option 2:
          Because the ALT company is sponsoring your visa, you have to get a letter of permission from them allowing you to work for another company and apply for a special work permit. After you get the permit you can then start working part time at eikaiwas such as GABA.

Remember that you will be making less money if you work part time, but potentially have more free time IF you do not have a lot of preparation needed for your classes. If you are conservative with your money and don't plan on pissing it all away it is a viable option.

If it were me and I had no responsibilities I would go for option 2 and use my free time to reach N2 or N1.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
            What's your current visa? Are you working anywhere now FT or PT?
            Currently on a student visa and haven't worked since I arrived in June last year.

Originally posted by Tuneafish View Post
            If it were me and I had no responsibilities I would go for option 2 and use my free time to reach N2 or N1.
            That's what I'm thinking about doing.

Originally posted by vallient View Post
            I'd take option 1, primary isn't that much more difficult. The JTE is likely to do most of the heavy lifting anyway. Why stress yourself out about having to get X number of lessons.
            I'm willing to trade some income for flexibility.

Comment

Option 1 (FT ALT) requires that you have the employer sponsor your Instructor work visa.

Option 2, well, you can't get a visa to do PT work. If you wanted to continue as a student to do PT work, it would really depend on whether the employer is even willing to take you on, but I suspect most will want you to have finished that degree first. You wrote that for this option "visa is provided", but have you really checked to see whether immigration will permit that? Maybe it's just the employer's feelings. Nice feelings, but not necessarily in line with what immigration will allow.

If you were to have had a work visa previously, you could go with option 2 and "self-sponsor" with PT work, but I doubt you can go from student visa to PT work with any work visa.

Comment

Option 2, well, you can't get a visa to do PT work. If you wanted to continue as a student to do PT work, it would really depend on whether the employer is even willing to take you on, but I suspect most will want you to have finished that degree first. You wrote that for this option "visa is provided", but have you really checked to see whether immigration will permit that? Maybe it's just the employer's feelings. Nice feelings, but not necessarily in line with what immigration will allow.

If you were to have had a work visa previously, you could go with option 2 and "self-sponsor" with PT work, but I doubt you can go from student visa to PT work with any work visa.
                I have a college degree and I'm attending a Japanese language school on a student visa.

Those options are actual offers on the table from well known ALT companies. I explained my situation and visa status before so I'm assuming they have done this before or know that it can be done, but I'll double check again. The option 2 company offered me the 3 day a week position and said that they can "take care" of the visa. I just emailed them to get more clarification on that, but probably won't get an answer until Monday. The other company said that they won't sponsor a visa if I do part-time, but I don't know if that means they can't or just won't. I've also heard that you can't get a work visa for PT work, but I don't know how they will present my position to immigration, if there are exceptions, or the minimum requirement of hours for a work visa. Again I'll get clarification on all that soon.

Comment

I have a college degree and I'm attending a Japanese language school on a student visa.
                  Ok, so you're legal for a work visa to teach.

Those options are actual offers on the table from well known ALT companies. I explained my situation and visa status before so I'm assuming they have done this before or know that it can be done, but I'll double check again. The option 2 company offered me the 3 day a week position and said that they can "take care" of the visa.
                  Yeah, sure they will!

I just emailed them to get more clarification on that, but probably won't get an answer until Monday.
                  Looking forward to hearing their story.

The other company said that they won't sponsor a visa if I do part-time, but I don't know if that means they can't or just won't.
                  As I wrote earlier...

Comment

Stronger

Who are we kidding option 1 is the real viable job, option 2 is sounding more and more like a problem waiting to blow up in your face.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing their story.
                      So I got a response and was once again told that they can provide me with a work visa even though the position will be only 3 days a week. I will be going on Monday or Tuesday to meet with the BOE. Once my visa has been processed, I will update you all again.

Originally posted by vallient View Post
                      Who are we kidding option 1 is the real viable job, option 2 is sounding more and more like a problem waiting to blow up in your face.
                      I respect and appreciate your opinion, but I think both options are viable options. Option 1 is just a more traditional and stable job option for traditional and risk averse people. Option 2 involves more risk, but for focused, organized, and determined individuals, it shouldn't be a problem and the potential reward is greater. Also I set my minimum requirements for the freelance quite low, and there are 3 different sources, so if one slows down, the others are there to pick up the slack.

Comment

3 days a week (no. of hours = ???)
                        156,000 yen pay (guaranteed, of course?), and you get a work visa?

This I have to see!
                        Fill in the no. of hours blank above, and tell us where you live (for the sake of standard of living costs), especially if the visa goes through.

Comment

I respect and appreciate your opinion, but I think both options are viable options. Option 1 is just a more traditional and stable job option for traditional and risk averse people. Option 2 involves more risk, but for focused, organized, and determined individuals, it shouldn't be a problem and the potential reward is greater. Also I set my minimum requirements for the freelance quite low, and there are 3 different sources, so if one slows down, the others are there to pick up the slack.

What are you talking about, man ? "Risk averse", "for focused, organized, determined individuals" etc. lol

We are talking about ALT and Eikaiwa, not some executive position in investment banking. Wanna compare "eating horse sh!t" and
                          "eating dog sh!it" ? Trust me: You lose whatever you take. Unless you already have 1`2@in investments and do this "jobs" as
                          a kind of hobby, my advice: GET A REAL JOB and EARN REAL MONEY or TAKE A REAL RISK AND OPEN/BUY A BUSINESS .

...and please, stop talking about 20-30/month from one source or several sources in ESL as this were the biggest decision you've made so far. There are people your age that pay more income tax/month. Grow up !

Comment

Originally posted by Tatsuo View Post
                            We are talking about ALT and Eikaiwa, not some executive position in investment banking. Wanna compare "eating horse sh!t" and
                            "eating dog sh!it" ? Trust me: You lose whatever you take. Unless you already have 1`2@in investments and do this "jobs" as
                            a kind of hobby, my advice: GET A REAL JOB and EARN REAL MONEY or TAKE A REAL RISK AND OPEN/BUY A BUSINESS .
                            Just what is this real job you speak of, Tatsuo? And where does one get the money to open and buy a business if one has no savings and is living on a subsistence wage as ALT/Eikaiwa usually is?

And here's the real kicker- what if you actually enjoy being an ALT or Eikaiwa instructor?

Comment

Originally posted by Kionon View Post
                              Just what is this real job you speak of, Tatsuo? And where does one get the money to open and buy a business if one has no savings and is living on a subsistence wage as ALT/Eikaiwa usually is?
                              You could borrow some cash from the yakuza, to buy a dim sim cart. That's thinking outside the box!

Comment

Working...
                              X