X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching...

Hi my name is Simone, and i would like to know if i can teach italian(my native language) in Japan as a full-time job.. (i think i would be able to teach english too, but even though i'm fluent in english, i'm not a native speaker and the only thing that proves my english level is the TOEFL ibt test so.. ) cheers! Please explain everything that i should do to get a teaching job(or by the way any type of job) point by point it would be very helpful! (i've got a scientific high school diploma, and i only got accepted in an english university but i didn't start it)

Originally posted by Ninjabin View Post
    Hi my name is Simone, and i would like to know if i can teach italian(my native language) in Japan as a full-time job.. (i think i would be able to teach english too, but even though i'm fluent in english, i'm not a native speaker and the only thing that proves my english level is the TOEFL ibt test so.. ) cheers! Please explain everything that i should do to get a teaching job(or by the way any type of job) point by point it would be very helpful! (i've got a scientific high school diploma, and i only got accepted in an english university but i didn't start it)
    To get a teaching job in Japan:

You need a minimum of a university degree (for your visa). High school will not qualify you for a work visa.
    Non-native speakers need a minimum of 10 years of their education in English.
    Italian is a minority foreign language and you are unlikely to get a full time job teaching only Italian here.

Comment

Yeah..forget the teaching thing..
      If you really want to come here email your resume to every top-notch restaurant in Tokyo.
      Doesn't really matter if you have much restaurant experience..as long as you look and act the part.
      You'll make more money there than teaching Italian.
      For real. Start at the TOP of Tokyo restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
        Yeah..forget the teaching thing..
        If you really want to come here email your resume to every top-notch restaurant in Tokyo.
        Doesn't really matter if you have much restaurant experience..as long as you look and act the part.
        You'll make more money there than teaching Italian.
        For real. Start at the TOP of Tokyo restaurants.
        Thank you for the advice, will i get a working visa? (i don't know japanese very well tbh)

Comment

Thank you for the advice, will i get a working visa? (i don't know japanese very well tbh)
          You don't need very much Japanese.
          Do you have skype.?
          If you are interested in doing that I would look up a list of top (European, American, Australian) restaurants in Tokyo and CALL them.
          About 11.30 AM Tokyo time.
          Places like SALT (I ain't shilling for them, just had a real good meal there)
          Roy's Hawaiian Bar and Grill in Roppongi - they employ Europeans - and the waiters seem happy.

Ask them if they will do you a visa, the wages.
          for sure hype yourself a bit. You're an Italian! Who can resist!?

Japanese waiters are as good as any in the world in my regard but the Japanese people who spend a 100,000 yens on a foreign meal
          like an Italian waiter.

Comment

You don't need very much Japanese.
            Do you have skype.?
            If you are interested in doing that I would look up a list of top (European, American, Australian) restaurants in Tokyo and CALL them.
            Roy's Hawaiian Bar and Grill in Roppongi - they employ Europeans - and the waiters seem happy.

Ask them if they will do you a visa, the wages.
            for sure hype yourself a bit. You're an Italian! Who can resist!?

Japanese waiters are as good as any in the world in my regard but the Japanese people who spend a 100,000 yens on a foreign meal
            like an Italian waiter.
            Wow thank you, your words are very motivating, it would be amazing if you could look up and send me some names! i must say that i don't have any experience as a waiter(sadly) and i am 20 years old, this maybe a problem.. Oh and another thing is, can i survive in japan with a waiter salary? in city like (i don't want to say tokyo because i know it's pretty expensive) Osaka? Nagoya? . . .
            Last edited by Ninjabin; 2012-03-19, 12:00 AM.

Comment

If you are looking for jobs it's better to have a TOEIC certificate.

TOEFL is only used for entering universities when english isn't your native language.

Comment

Wow thank you, your words are very motivating, it would be amazing if you could look up and send me some names! i must say that i don't have any experience as a waiter(sadly) and i am 20 years old, this maybe a problem.. Oh and another thing is, can i survive in japan with a waiter salary? in city like (i don't want to say tokyo because i know it's pretty expensive) Osaka? Nagoya? . . .
                I could. Or you could use that amazing google thing all by yourself. Tokyo Restaurants. Italian. Ya know? that sort of thing.
                Yes. Provided the wage is high enough (as you can ask them on the phone tomorrow) then you can survive.

Comment

Another

If not a waiter, you may be able to find being a hostess at an italian restaurant an option. If you really want to make some money, you could be a hostess, hostess.

Comment

You may be able to speak English just fine and are probably an nice fellow. Unfortunately you have the technicalities of Japanese Immigration visa requirements working against you. In order to get a visa to teach English in Japan you must have a minimum of 12 years of formal education in all English, not just English as a second language. Since you are from Italy, your education was all in Italian. English schools typically are looking are NATIVE speakers of English.

If you really want to teach, my advise would be to get a teaching certificate over there in Italy and teach over there. It probably pays better anyway. If you really have your heart set on going over seas and teaching, there are a plethora of teaching jobs in places like China, Thailand and India where the visa requirements may not be as strict. You might want to look into that.
                    Last edited by StarfoxPro; 2012-04-08, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Ask them if they will do you a visa,
                      With only a HS diploma, he is unlikely to get past immigration, even for jobs like those. Don't raise his hopes.

If you noticed people working there that did not seem to be Japanese, do you know their visa situations? If not, realize that they might have spouse or dependent visas or student visas, NOT work visas. Those that DO have work visas have the education and experience (often 10 years) to get the visa. What the employer requires is totally different.

Comment

Working...
                      X