Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top

Collapse

teaching in japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • teaching in japan

    I've always wanted to visit Japan and teaching English seems to be the only way I can stay since my Japanese is not exactly fluent. However, despite those pretty buttons on AEON and the likes that direct the occasional misguided individual to the well-established practice bogus teaching (I should know; I've spoken to some of the "graduates" of their remarkable institutions), I have the misfortune to be a non-native speaker of English. I have been reading in various forums that having 12 years of education in an English-speaking institution can remedy this ailment and so I began to count...
    I have a BA degree from a college in NJ and I am about to get a MA diploma in less than two months from a university in Chicago. I also spent another year at an American University in Germany in-between those two degrees. All of this amounts to seven years of studying in US universities.
    I also happen to be the holder of a high school diploma from a certain First English Language High School where all the classes I had were taught in English but the school itself is a public school in a non-English speaking country. If it counts, this can add another 5 years for a total of 12.

    My question is if this would be enough to satisfy the Japanese embassy. For some reason, I can't seem to find the official requirements.
    If that's not the case, are there any options to apply as a non-native speaker?

  • #2
    The twelve years requirement gets bandied around quite a bit, but I've known a number of non-native speakers without that requirement who were able to get visas. I think your English school in the non-English country would count anyways, so you should be fine.

    Comment


    • #3
      Perception

      It depends what you look like, and how your english sounds.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by r11d12 View Post
        I've always wanted to visit Japan and teaching English seems to be the only way I can stay since my Japanese is not exactly fluent.
        Not correct. I know several people who found jobs in Japan without any Japanese, but they had some experience in Finance or IT. What is your MA in ? If you speak a third language besides Japanese and English, that would be interesting for companies from your home country who have an office in Japan.

        Comment


        • #5
          Probably the most thorough and accurate answer to your question about the 12-year rule is this:

          case by case.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
            Not correct. I know several people who found jobs in Japan without any Japanese, but they had some experience in Finance or IT. What is your MA in ? If you speak a third language besides Japanese and English, that would be interesting for companies from your home country who have an office in Japan.
            I dont think Bhutan has an office in Japan.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by r11d12 View Post
              I am about to get a MA diploma in less than two months from a university in Chicago.
              You have an MA and want to come to Japan and work at a peanut paying eikaiwa job?

              I don't mean any disrespect, but you can get a much higher paying job in your own country.

              Comment

              Working...
              X