teaching in japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teaching in japan

I've always wanted to visit Japan and teaching English seems to be the only way I can stay since my Japanese is not exactly fluent. However, despite those pretty buttons on AEON and the likes that direct the occasional misguided individual to the well-established practice bogus teaching (I should know; I've spoken to some of the "graduates" of their remarkable institutions), I have the misfortune to be a non-native speaker of English. I have been reading in various forums that having 12 years of education in an English-speaking institution can remedy this ailment and so I began to count...
    I have a BA degree from a college in NJ and I am about to get a MA diploma in less than two months from a university in Chicago. I also spent another year at an American University in Germany in-between those two degrees. All of this amounts to seven years of studying in US universities.
    I also happen to be the holder of a high school diploma from a certain First English Language High School where all the classes I had were taught in English but the school itself is a public school in a non-English speaking country. If it counts, this can add another 5 years for a total of 12.

My question is if this would be enough to satisfy the Japanese embassy. For some reason, I can't seem to find the official requirements.
    If that's not the case, are there any options to apply as a non-native speaker?

The twelve years requirement gets bandied around quite a bit, but I've known a number of non-native speakers without that requirement who were able to get visas. I think your English school in the non-English country would count anyways, so you should be fine.

Comment

Perception

It depends what you look like, and how your english sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by r11d12 View Post
        I've always wanted to visit Japan and teaching English seems to be the only way I can stay since my Japanese is not exactly fluent.
        Not correct. I know several people who found jobs in Japan without any Japanese, but they had some experience in Finance or IT. What is your MA in ? If you speak a third language besides Japanese and English, that would be interesting for companies from your home country who have an office in Japan.

Comment

Probably the most thorough and accurate answer to your question about the 12-year rule is this:

case by case.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
            Not correct. I know several people who found jobs in Japan without any Japanese, but they had some experience in Finance or IT. What is your MA in ? If you speak a third language besides Japanese and English, that would be interesting for companies from your home country who have an office in Japan.
            I dont think Bhutan has an office in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by r11d12 View Post
              I am about to get a MA diploma in less than two months from a university in Chicago.
              You have an MA and want to come to Japan and work at a peanut paying eikaiwa job?

I don't mean any disrespect, but you can get a much higher paying job in your own country.

Comment

Working...
              X