X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working as an ALT

I was an English High School Teacher in London before I came to Japan.
    I would like to work as an ALT but have a family to support.

Are there any ALTS who manage to work in High School that still manage to support a family?

It seems ALTs are always looking at Y220,000 or upwards to Y250,000...

Originally posted by Potnoodle View Post

Are there any ALTS who manage to work in High School that still manage to support a family?

Why not? Plenty of Japanese live on that amount.

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
      Why not? Plenty of Japanese live on that amount.

I am guessing you dont have a family, mate...

250,000 a month would be practically on the bread line...

But, i give you points for positivity...

Comment

...Are there any ALTS who manage to work in High School that still manage to support a family?...
        If you already know that an ALT makes about 250,000 a month, how can you not judge for yourself whether that is enough for you and your family to live on?

The short answer is that people can support a family as an ALT, but they usually work other jobs to supplement their income.

Comment

You can support a family, but only just. At 250000 a month, it would be really, really tight. I'm an ALT, but I make 280000 from the job and have always made between 20000 to 100000 a month from side work and from investments back home. We still have to live pretty moderately.
          Are you already in Japan? Moving a family from abroad would be, needless to say, really expensive. You would be hard pressed to make that money back as an ALT.

Comment

Visa

Don't know what type of visa you're looking at (spouse or working)but your pay might be lower if a dispatch company is going to sponsor you,just saying.

Comment

Osaka or Tokyo

Originally posted by madazzahatter View Post
              Don't know what type of visa you're looking at (spouse or working)but your pay might be lower if a dispatch company is going to sponsor you,just saying.
              By the way,if you use that 220,00-250,000 salary as your base pay,it's easy enough to stack the private lessons after work(schools usually finish by 4/5pm) during the week and on weekends. If you hustle and stay consistent,you can pull in 350,000-400,000 easily. But you will have NO LIFE .

Comment

If I recall correctly, there are 3 flavors of ALTs here:

1. JET program (limited duration of 3-5 years; current salary pre-tax of 300,000 yen/month but predicted to go down in 2013)

2. dispatch agency (not limited in duration, but benefits are less than with JET, and many/most have salaries as mentioned above, roughly 220K to 270K)

3. direct hire by board of education (rare positions, still shuffled to >1 school in the year, and they might make more than dispatch ALTs

I know a couple of the #3 category, and they all have families. Couldn't tell you whether any of these ALTs are the sole breadwinner, but those who are males are likely to be, especially with children to support (meaning, the wife is at home taking care of them instead of working)

Comment

Okay, so here is my situation to make things a little clearer...

I arrived in Japan over 9 years ago, now. I am married with children. Visa is spousal. When I first arrived in Japan I was employed by Aeon. I worked with them for 4 years. I worked at an International school after that. I am currently working as a proofreader for a Science Journal. I make very good money. About 500, 000 a month before taxes etc.
                  However, the job I am working is very boring and quite isolating. I have realised that I need to get out.
                  I worked in an English High School in London before coming to Japan and now want to return to that.
                  I would be quite happy working as an ALT for a Dispatch company. It means a very large decrease in income, though. My family is amazingly supportive. I am planning to work on Saturdays and continue my private teaching to earn extra income...

But, I am worried as to the fact that by working as an ALT for a dispatch company there will be months where I am without pay... Moreover, I live in Aichi so there are not many direct hire positions that I am aware of.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
                  Last edited by Potnoodle; 2012-06-02, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Nope

Forget it, an ALT isn't a career change its a career killer. I suggest if you miss teaching that you look into doing ESOL teaching part time on the side. I think you would be better off finding an international (British) curriculum school, assuming you have your PGCE. Otherwise, your making a mistake, at some point your going to tire of the ALT experience, and you may not be able to go back to your current position and salary. You can make it on 250K, but its going to be a struggle for you and your family at some point.

Comment

Thanks for the advice...

Comment

Thanks for the advice...
                        All work is what you make of it. If you do the ALT thing and go in set to enjoy yourself...good things will happen. Unless of course you get stuck in a hell-school (:>) !

Comment

I worked in an English High School in London before coming to Japan and now want to return to that.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
                          Is it possible for you to return to London, get setup and then bring the family over?

Comment

Ken,

that is something that I have given great thought to. However, my wife can not speak English at all and I worry about how she would settle in for a period longer than 2 weeks.

Also, after 9 years, I feel that my life is really here in Japan. Laying down roots and all that.

I have an interview with a company called Westgate... I havent heard too many bad things about them...

To the older ALTS with families,

who is a good company, if any to work for?

Comment

Not really

Westgate isn't the greatest, they are about as good as any of the other big Eikaiwa companies. The order goes:

1) J. Uni.
                              2) JET
                              3) BOE Direct Hire
                              4) Private HS/JHS
                              5) Full Time Eikaiwa
                              6) Dispatch

Private lessons rank somewhere near the top, depending how much you charge, how many students you have, and how many hours you work.

Comment

Working...
                              X