Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Module
Collapse

120 hour TESOL (non accredited) worthless or not?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 hour TESOL (non accredited) worthless or not?

I've seen some cheap courses online lately on Groupon e.g http://www.groupon.com.au/deals/nati...46&a=715827934

Would this be worthless? for someone who wants to teach English in Japan for 6 months?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Elladuffy View Post
    I've seen some cheap courses online lately on Groupon e.g http://www.groupon.com.au/deals/nati...46&a=715827934

Would this be worthless? for someone who wants to teach English in Japan for 6 months?

Thanks in advance
    No education is ever wasted and is better than none at all. Then again, you get what you pay for.

Pay peanuts and get monkeys. It probably wont help you get a better job, just make you a little less ignorant and a bit better prepared. A lot of the stuff you can read up about on the Internet. Look for books by Jack Richards and Douglas K Browne? or David Nunan on teaching TEFL for noobies.

If it were me and thinking of getting some training I would do a CELTA or a Trinity Cambridge course, but Im not the one spending the money.

Comment

Not sure on what your budget is but if it is an online offering, keep looking around as there are cheap alternatives that are fully accredited as well. Many are not that expensive if you do the online gig.

Comment

Nope

If you really want an ESOL teaching certificate the Cambridge/Trinity certificate is the way to go. If all your looking for is an online course, you're not going to find or learn anything you can't get of the internet, or by reading a couple of books. You could probably print out and make your own "certificate" for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Elladuffy View Post

Thanks in advance
          Throw a stone in Japan and you will likely find a foreign manager or employer who do not themselves have formal ESL teaching qualifications. What matters here is EXPERIENCE as well as connections and a pleasant amiable personality. Formal pieces of paper do not guarantee you can actually teach anything unless you have had supervised practicums, which online courses do not provide you.

If you are only here for six months you will be considered little more than a tourist and a seat warmer until they find someone permanent.

Comment

Working...
          X