Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

Experience with doing EdD/PhD by distance in TESOL/AL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with doing EdD/PhD by distance in TESOL/AL?

Several universities, particularly in Oz and the UK, are now offering EdDs or PhDs in areas such as TESOL and Applied Linguistics. There have been universities offering MAs by distance for a while now, so maybe this is a new trend. I'm curious as to whether anyone is doing/has a done a PhD or EdD by distance in TESOL or a related field and can reflect on the quality of the program and how it has been accepted/recognized (or not) by universities and other employers.

Universities offering these EdD PhD programs claim that they enable people to continue working while doing their degrees and carry out research in the settings that they work in. This makes sense to me as I cannot really afford to return to my country and live like a student again for 5 years--as is the usual case in the US. The downside is that these programs cannot be as rigorous as their brick and mortar counterparts so they may be undervalued, which is understandable.

A little background: I completed my MATESOL in the US 5 years ago and have been working in TESOL for the past 13 years, including 6 years in Japan from 2000 to 2006. I'd consider returning to Japan but it would not be my only choice. I've mostly been doing teacher training, managing and curriculum work for the past 4-5 years. Anyway, professionally and academically I'm feel like I'm hitting a plateau and want to upgrade my knowledge and skills without breaking the bank. I'm posting on Gaijinpot because, compared to sites like Dave's, there seems to be more discussion about higher level qualifications here (what happened to the degrees by distance thread?).

Oh, and while this is my first post with this username, I was a regular poster 10 years ago but lost the login details, have a new email address, etc.

Thanks for any helpful insights you can provide!

-Keweseki

Originally posted by keweseki View Post
    Several universities, particularly in Oz and the UK, are now offering EdDs or PhDs in areas such as TESOL and Applied Linguistics. There have been universities offering MAs by distance for a while now, so maybe this is a new trend. I'm curious as to whether anyone is doing/has a done a PhD or EdD by distance in TESOL or a related field and can reflect on the quality of the program and how it has been accepted/recognized (or not) by universities and other employers.

Universities offering these EdD PhD programs claim that they enable people to continue working while doing their degrees and carry out research in the settings that they work in. This makes sense to me as I cannot really afford to return to my country and live like a student again for 5 years--as is the usual case in the US. The downside is that these programs cannot be as rigorous as their brick and mortar counterparts so they may be undervalued, which is understandable.

A little background: I completed my MATESOL in the US 5 years ago and have been working in TESOL for the past 13 years, including 6 years in Japan from 2000 to 2006. I'd consider returning to Japan but it would not be my only choice. I've mostly been doing teacher training, managing and curriculum work for the past 4-5 years. Anyway, professionally and academically I'm feel like I'm hitting a plateau and want to upgrade my knowledge and skills without breaking the bank. I'm posting on Gaijinpot because, compared to sites like Dave's, there seems to be more discussion about higher level qualifications here (what happened to the degrees by distance thread?).

Oh, and while this is my first post with this username, I was a regular poster 10 years ago but lost the login details, have a new email address, etc.

Thanks for any helpful insights you can provide!

-Keweseki
    Hmmm, interesting. I've never heard of any university doing a correspondence PhD in anything, let alone in TESOL.

Could you put a few links to the ones that you know of? I'm interested in reading further about this.

Comment

Originally posted by jrp View Post
      Hmmm, interesting. I've never heard of any university doing a correspondence PhD in anything, let alone in TESOL.

Could you put a few links to the ones that you know of? I'm interested in reading further about this.
      Try googling Macquarie in Australia, and Leicester, Lancaster, Birmingham, Swansea, and Aston in the UK, to name a few that come to mind. Oh, and Anaheim in the US.

Comment

Working...
      X