From what I see, there are way more problems with these degrees than they're worth (*caveat and full disclaimer: I don't have one):Originally Posted by Nick Halliday
(1) They're expensive as f&ck.
(2) They take 2 years or more.
(1) and (2) are serious problems because as I said way earlier, you can get a garden-variety arts or social science or science master's for way less money and way less time.
(3) In the Japanese context, unis aren't picky about who they'll put in front of their students. They only want a generic masters.
(4) F/T work that pays well - of any sort - is drying up in Japan. It's all dispatch companies and P/T stuff. I'm at the top end of the pay scale with excellent conditions, but my contract is done in 2 and a half years and in 5 years the job I have now will most likely be done by part-timers. Hardly incentive to spend 35G's and 2 years of my life.
(5) Academically, where does such a degree lead you? In 5 years, it could be obsolete.