Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

(Education) can someone please help me understand this ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Education) can someone please help me understand this ?

I searched for Masters program in Computer science in Todai university website and there are not much details

i wanted to know about

http://www.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp/edu/entra/index_e.shtml

Entrance exam : is it compulsary ? if it is how to attend it (english or japanese) http://www.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp/edu/cours...ission_e.shtml

language of medium : is it english or japanese ..... the website says ,,, " english OR japanese "

and applicants are asked to submit original certificates ?

that means i can only apply to one university at a time ?

i also sent a mail expecting reasonable answers but all i got was those 2 links

Originally posted by hadouken View Post
    Entrance exam : is it compulsary ? if it is how to attend it (english or japanese) http://www.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp/edu/cours...ission_e.shtml

language of medium : is it english or japanese ..... the website says ,,, " english OR japanese "

Tokyo Uni is the most prestigeous university of Japan (the 'Oxbridge' of Japan), so it is unlikely they will lower their requirements for you.
    And yes, you must speak eonugh Japanese or English to follow the courses and the application procedure.

Comment

...i also sent a mail expecting reasonable answers but all i got was those 2 links
      Much like "user requirements" in any setting – vague, incomplete, and possibly even inaccurate. As an IT professional - you will need to figure it out for yourself.

Comment

I searched for Masters program in Computer science in Todai university website and there are not much details

i wanted to know about

http://www.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp/edu/entra/index_e.shtml

Sorry, I can't contain myself. Why on God's mostly green earth would you choose to do an MSc in Comp Sci. at Todai? Unless there is some famous person who is there doing the exact thing you want, I can't imagine why you'd choose there (if you are from Asia, well, maybe). You could actually attend M.I.T., Stanford, Cornell, the University of Waterloo, the University of Toronto, or the National U of Singpore or the University of Hong Kong over in this region.

Comment

Originally posted by hadouken;1343334 Entrance exam : is it compulsary ? if it is how to attend it (english or japanese) [URL
          http://www.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp/edu/course/cs/admission_e.shtml[/URL]

Generally speaking, most people hoping to attend a top rank university in any country expect to sit an entrance exam, but in your case, I would write them a nice letter explaining that it would be much easier for you if they waived the entrance exam and just let you proceed to the course itself. That would make things much, much easier and would obviate the need to answer the thorny question of how to attend the entrance exam, though in my experience most people hoping to attend a top rank university in any country attend the entrance exam by travelling to the exam centre and taking said exam.

As for this language of medium issue, I would suggest that if the website says it is English OR Japanese then there is a high probability that the language of medium is English OR Japanese, but I admit I am guessing here.

Comment

Hey Kurogane, have you considered going into Politics ? Your posts above proves that you belong right up there with the best of them !

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
              Generally speaking, most people hoping to attend a top rank university in any country expect to sit an entrance exam, but in your case, I would write them a nice letter explaining that it would be much easier for you if they waived the entrance exam and just let you proceed to the course itself. That would make things much, much easier and would obviate the need to answer the thorny question of how to attend the entrance exam, though in my experience most people hoping to attend a top rank university in any country attend the entrance exam by travelling to the exam centre and taking said exam.

As for this language of medium issue, I would suggest that if the website says it is English OR Japanese then there is a high probability that the language of medium is English OR Japanese, but I admit I am guessing here.
              i've found out that they have a program in english too (completely in english)

It would be cooler if they just accept my application without an entrance exam , but that would be realistic only if i came from a really prestigious kind of university ...

but still i would appear for an entrance exam ,,

i saw the previous question papers and i think i may have a chance lol

Comment

It would be cooler if they just accept my application without an entrance exam , but that would be realistic only if i came from a really prestigious kind of university ...

but still i would appear for an entrance exam ,,
                When you send in your application, just attach a letter explaining your particular situation. If they are truly cool, they will not only waive the entrance exam requirement, but everything else as well and just send you back a diploma (in your choice of Japanese or English). However, that would probably be realistic only if you came from the mostest pretigioust university in the universal history of universities.

Good luck and keep us updated

Comment

Originally posted by Shimi View Post
                  When you send in your application, just attach a letter explaining your particular situation. If they are truly cool, they will not only waive the entrance exam requirement, but everything else as well and just send you back a diploma (in your choice of Japanese or English). However, that would probably be realistic only if you came from the mostest pretigioust university in the universal history of universities.

Good luck and keep us updated

and it says that i will have to submit ' certified copies' of my course Certificate ...

now wait ,.... does that just mean a xerox copy stamped by the institution ?

bcuz in the other place they're asking original copies ... but i guess that's only when my application gets accepted right ?

Comment

bcuz
                    This guy is definitely Todai material.

Comment

and it says that i will have to submit ' certified copies' of my course Certificate ...

now wait ,.... does that just mean a xerox copy stamped by the institution ?

bcuz in the other place they're asking original copies ... but i guess that's only when my application gets accepted right ?
                      Not sure what that means. Seems unusual to ask for something like that.

Hmmm....

Maybe they just want some kind of certifiable proof that you've been officially released from whatever institution you used to be in. You know, just something that proves that you're no longer any danger to either yourself or the rest of society. Just make some xeroxs of your discharge papers, stamp 'em with some official looking stamp, and send them in.

You might also try sending them copies of your transcripts if part of the treatment you received at that institution included taking classes.

Once again, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepycat View Post
                        Why do you say that?

Bcuz, bcuz, bcuz, bcuz, bcuz. Bcuz of the wonderful things he does.

Well, I'm off to see the Wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepycat View Post
                          what does that mean ?

Comment

No, it would never be realistic regardless of what school you graduated from. I was teasing you. The entrance examination is neither optional, nor easy. All top Japanese universities require it, and even some of the crappy ones.

BTW, Todai is a common abbrevaiation for Tokyo University. That's what he meant.

Also, so we know, how old are you?

Comment

We've been trolled!

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                              No, it would never be realistic regardless of what school you graduated from. I was teasing you. The entrance examination is neither optional, nor easy. All top Japanese universities require it, and even some of the crappy ones.

BTW, Todai is a common abbrevaiation for Tokyo University. That's what he meant.

Also, so we know, how old are you?

Well done, troll! You fooled me.
                              The OP surely knows what Todai stands for. Reread his original post.

Comment

Working...
                              X