Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

electicity or gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electicity or gas?

which is better to have, an all electric house with diferent options from TEPCO or we thought about gas cooking and maybe parfin for the bath water.

any advice or suggestions.

thanks

I think the all-denka houses are supposed to be cheaper (not for the HOUSE, but your monthly bills) and more eco-friendly.

Cooking with gas or an electric range is really different though. I don't think I will ever go all-denka because I like the instant adjustability of a gas flame.

Any other pluses or minues? Those are the only two I really know of!

Comment

Ah yes, I don't miss the mysteriously fluctuating bills

for the different gas/electricity/kerosene heating of the bathwater that I encountered in Japan. I had no choice in rental houses but I would recommend if you have a choice pockyman, whatever you do don't use the paraffin/kerosene heated bathwater/shower.

What a monumental waste of time filling up the containers with toyu. But it's cheap people bleat - well, I'd rather just have a heated water source that will work full stop.

Heating your bathroom water with paraffin/kero is just a cheapster's trick - and a real pain in the arse if you are very busy and don't check too closely how full or empty the container is. Or if there is something wrong with the meter and you're stuck in the dead of winter with no hot water suddenly at 11pm.

Propane gas and all its' expense in Japan - it's for suckers and people who try to convince themselves they are not living in a country with 3rd World features.

Gas can be reasonable, electricity always seems expensive in Japan.

Comment

Toyu is kerosene... never met ANYONE who uses that to heat their bath... wow.

Propane isn't much different from natural gas (which is what Tokyo Gas or any other city gas would be). Our propane man fills up the tanks on a regular basis, we never run out and we dont have to ask him to come or anything. I've had propane and Tokyo Gas and there's no difference that makes an impact on daily life.

Plus that's not really your choice... some areas are conencted to Tokyo Gas and some are not, so if you want to live in a neighborhood where propane is your only option, than propane it'll be!

The choice is between gas and all-denka, more than between one type of gas or another!

Comment

Originally posted by Pocky-man
          which is better to have, an all electric house with diferent options from TEPCO or we thought about gas cooking and maybe parfin for the bath water.
          thanks
          For the Kitchen I would recommend a Gas Stove Top and an Electric Oven. Electric ovens are a lot better. For the Bath and Shower, I would go gas and the Instant Heater models.

And for lighting, I would use electricity!

Comment

A couple of thoughts...

1) In the event that the electricity goes out... depending on the type of gas heater/water heater/stove you have you can still heat your place/cook/bath and so on. It can be good to not depend on one company for all those services...

2) On the other hand, you'll end up paying a minimum monthly charge for gas, electric and all utilities. If for example the only thing you're using gas for is to heat your bath water... and you're taking a long term sort of look at things, it might be good to run the math. Does the total gas bill cost more than the increase in the electric bill would be for using an electric water heater?

Although, the minimum monthly charge for gas service doesn't seem too bad, the one for electricity is- and there's nothing you can do about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Really!
              1) In the event that the electricity goes out... depending on the type of gas heater/water heater/stove you have you can still heat your place/cook/bath and so on. It can be good to not depend on one company for all those services...

2) On the other hand, you'll end up paying a minimum monthly charge for gas, electric and all utilities. If for example the only thing you're using gas for is to heat your bath water... and you're taking a long term sort of look at things, it might be good to run the math. Does the total gas bill cost more than the increase in the electric bill would be for using an electric water heater?

Although, the minimum monthly charge for gas service doesn't seem too bad, the one for electricity is- and there's nothing you can do about it...
              after an earthquake gas is more likely to be down... for a long time...
              after the kobe earthquake gas and water were out for 3 months but we had electricity within a week.

in japan power outages are rare and short.

Comment

In general, electricity is a more inefficient way to heat (food, a room) than gas. If you go to a denki seihin store and compare the costs to run an electric stove/gas stove, and an electric heater/gas heater, you'll see. And then on top of that there's the base elec breaker fee.

Comment

thanks for all the replies, we decided to go all electric.

next, we looked at a new system called ECO CUTE, what are the advantages and disadvantages using this system.
                  will it save money or is it a sales gimmick.

next. we are searching for companies who make or sell UPVC windows, i've seen them in some houses.

Comment

eco cute

Pocky man,

I have the Eco Cute system in an oru-denka, all electric house. The only disadvantage is the price for the system. I think it was about 150man. But we got about 30man back from the gov't as an incentive. It was a separate loan for the Eco Cute system. But when you lump it into the mortgage it is not too bad, really. I was sceptical at first, but it has really proved to be efficient and reliable. We pay about 1man per month for electricity. 1man for lighting (CFL's), cooking, hot water. That's it. (family of 5, 45tsubo house) We heat primarily with wood. We don't have A/C, but we do have ceiling fans in almost every room, we use them constantly.

The hot water heater of the EC system is set to timer and heats the water at night when electric rates are cheapest. Ours is 7yen per KWH 11pm-7am. So we try to do laundry at this time as well to save, if only some. The peak KWH rate is about 29yen, the avg. is 20yen.

I was a professional cook for years and was very sceptical of the IH electric, glass top stove (and oven). But I love it. No hot spots like electric coils, no flames for kids, it even turns off if you forget it. Having an oven is awesome too.

The main problem is if you have a long term power failure. Then of course you have nothing. I have a decorative oil lamp in the corner of main rooms for those occasional summer power failures, which are rare.

If I could do it again I would have the option to also use wood to heat my bath, but that is here in the inaka.

Hope this helps,

johnE

Comment

Wouldn't one advantage of an all-electric home be that you can slap a load of solar cells on the roof and sell back the excess? Or is that something that is part of Eco Cute?

Comment

Hi TokyoBrit,

I think you can do that with any home, not just an all electric one with Eco-cute or any other oru-denka system. But I would say most if not all the homes with a large amount of solar panels on them are all electric. They don't actually use the electricity they produce, but put it into the grid. The amount they produce is subtracted from the monthly bill, and sometimes it is a surplus, for which they are credited.

A large solar system only begins to pay for itself after about 15 years. Unless you pay for your system in cash, (300-500man) it is usually a loan of 15 years. So for the first 15 years you will probably pay MORE for electricity(taking into account the loan) . But after that you should hopefully pay little or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocky-man
                          thanks for all the replies, we decided to go all electric.

Please do a little more research.

I really think gas is the way to go for anything that requires heating. It's significantly more efficient, so will save you money.

Clothes dryer, water heater, stove, oven, central heating.

Comment

I was recently told that the latest solar panels are able to pay for themselves in less than ten years.

A major semiconductor equipment maker is gearing up for large-scale thin-film photovoltaics, as they believe they are the wave of the future. And we can all thank our wide-screen televisions for enabling that technology.

Comment

Thanks for that info, JE. Can't believe it's that expensive, what with the current progress in solar-cell technology. I'd rather not shackle myself to a 15 year loan.

Still, maybe I could slap a small alternator on my treadmill and juice things up while I take my regular "going nowhere" walk?

Comment

Working...
                              X