Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Death in Japan - how much would it cost..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death in Japan - how much would it cost..

To have your corpse flown home by airplane? Sounds morbid I know but I am getting more aware of mortality by living outside my home country.

Knew a bloke in Japan who died suddenly. His body was cremated and I know his parents were very upset - they wanted his body to go home and lie in a beautiful cemetery.

Anybody know? And anybody got any shout outs to those gaijin or wayguks as they say in Korea, who are no longer with us? Not being evil, just think it'd be nice to pay tribute to them.

MW - RIP. You should have lived to a grand old age.

Originally posted by caramellocap
    To have your corpse flown home by airplane? Sounds morbid I know but I am getting more aware of mortality by living outside my home country.

Knew a bloke in Japan who died suddenly. His body was cremated and I know his parents were very upset - they wanted his body to go home and lie in a beautiful cemetery.

Anybody know? And anybody got any shout outs to those gaijin or wayguks as they say in Korea, who are no longer with us? Not being evil, just think it'd be nice to pay tribute to them.

I don't know anything for sure, but I heard that it's batshat expensive. From what I understood we're talking like tens of million yen. That may of course just be something an insurance salesman once used to scare someone into buying, so if someone has any more knowledge about the subject, I'd like to know as well.

Comment

"O burn me not on the lone pyre"

Cremation is for criminals and heathen.
      Set aside some bread to have your carcass iced and deep-sixed.

Comment

Originally posted by caramellocap
        ToKnew a bloke in Japan who died suddenly. His body was cremated and I know his parents were very upset - they wanted his body to go home and lie in a beautiful cemetery.

Keep in mind that a corpse will go in the hold as freight- doesnt matter if its luggage or a human body. I read somewhere that someone frieghted a large (60 lb) dog back to the US and cost around 5,000 dollars going as baggage. You also have the cost of coffins and preparing for freighting back home.

An average adult male may weigh between 70-100 kg and you will pay about 1000-2000 yen per kilo over excess baggage.

Comment

You'll be DOA back home, but at least you can RIP because it's too late for an IOU.

Comment

Interesting topic to say the least.

I must say that over the years it has crossed my mind several times but as an old-timer here with life insurance (covering funeral expenses including having family flown in) and no real reason to go back to where I came from, I'm at peace to be cremated and "buried" here in Japan.

My wife has family and relatives in the countryside and every year we pay a visit to her grandfather's grave and that place just oozes tranquility on that mountain overseeing the ocean.

If it were me to decide, I'd demand to be laid to rest right next to grandpa. Never really looked into the real possibilities of that happening, though. So, thanks for bringing it up!

Tens of millions of yen sounds far-fetched to me, unless you're a celebrity of some sort or really want to go out with a bang. Clearly not my style. I'd rather have a bang while I'm alive, and keep it simple in the end. You're dead anyway, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ericsson
              Tens of millions of yen sounds far-fetched to me, unless you're a celebrity of some sort or really want to go out with a bang. Clearly not my style. I'd rather have a bang while I'm alive, and keep it simple in the end. You're dead anyway, right?
              I agree that it sounds a bit excessive. In fact, 20 seconds of googling brought me this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2122706AAWyiPm

It doesn't specify from where to where, but according to this, transporting a corpse costs 500-1000 dollars. That isn't really too much these days.

Comment

You guys need to get more creative with your Googling...

http://www.casperfuneralservices.com...pping-faqs.htm

$5000 bucks according to these guys.

Majestic, now finished with this morbid, but admittedly thought-provoking thread.

Comment

That's not too bad.... I guess they save on inflight meals.

Casper funeral services.....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Me? Burn me and throw my ashes in the ocean--I'll get to where I need to go eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx
                      I'll get to where I need to go eventually.
                      In your case, that will only be preheating.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Hanshin
                        In your case, that will only be preheating.
                        Good. Finally a place where the climate matches my wardrobe.

Comment

Are you still in your loincloth?

Comment

Most travel insurance should include some form of repatriation coverage, but not sure if it applies if you die. Anyway, a friend was struck by a drunk driver in France and broke her hip, she only had the travel insurance that comes with VISA cards which didn't include repatriation. Because she couldn't use a normal flight the 1 hour trip home cost well over stg1000 as she basically had to hire the plane+pilot and medical staff!

Comment

Working...
                            X