Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Apartment living - how loud is ok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment living - how loud is ok?

So I got the knock today. When working from home.

Freshly moved-in guy next apartment to mine came by and asked me to turn my stuff down, or, "at least lower the bass".

While I keep my movies/music/whatever somewhat low after midnight I'm wondering about daytime.

- what are the rules (if any)?

(don't want to come off as the noisy gaijin, with mustard-stains on my wifebeater, unrespecting the kaltcha because foreigners don't know the shizuka nature loving locals, but...here I am).

Originally posted by Marius_II View Post

Freshly moved-in guy next apartment to mine came by and asked me to turn my stuff down, or, "at least lower the bass".

While I keep my movies/music/whatever somewhat low after midnight I'm wondering about daytime.

(don't want to come off as the noisy gaijin, with mustard-stains on my wifebeater, unrespecting the kaltcha because foreigners don't know the shizuka nature loving locals, but...here I am).
    I got sh-t from neighbors for playing my electric guitar after 10 pm.

Invest in a good pair of headphones for the movies. I also installed sound absorbing curtain liners that stop sounding getting out. Walls here are like cardboard and dont absorb sound here very well.

PS Your neignbor may be working night shifts and sleeps during the day and you could be disturbing his sleep.

Comment

I was told they cant so sh1t but ask untill up to 11pm

but remember one day you might want him to accept a parcel or maybe call 119 for you!

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
        PS Your neignbor may be working night shifts and sleeps during the day and you could be disturbing his sleep.
        This is what a friend said.
        And I still figure: that is not my problem.

Invest in a good pair of headphones for the movies. I also installed sound absorbing curtain liners that stop sounding getting out. Walls here are like cardboard and dont absorb sound here very well.
        That's what he said. Too.

However, then it should be argued that all TVs should come unequipped with built in speakers.

Then again, I have 6 speakers at my place. Admittedly they even make the floor vibrate. It's a shame, but I can agree on lowering my tunes - a bit. But dammet, turning them off and causing nuance to me simply because some d00d is working night...doesn't sound right.

There must be some law.

Comment

i'd suggest either of the two:
          http://kakaku.com/item/20465011043/
          http://kakaku.com/item/20464010220/

Comment

Originally posted by thenoie View Post
            I was told they cant so sh1t but ask untill up to 11pm
            Exactly my thoughts (we have the 11-deal where I'm from too).

Originally posted by thenoie View Post
            but remember one day you might want him to accept a parcel or maybe call 119 for you!
            You're more considerate than I. And I frankly applaud that.

Comment

Exactly my thoughts (we have the 11-deal where I'm from too).

You're more considerate than I. And I frankly applaud that.

Just an old time believer in Karma, its has got me this far!

Comment

Neighbors don't accept parcels or call 119 for each other, at least not in Tokyo. Neighbors complain, that's their main purpose in life.

Marius, consult with your rental agent.

Comment

This is what a friend said.
                  And I still figure: that is not my problem.
                  It is when you are the cause of the problem. Its a bit like the US Army flying helicopters 24/7 in Okinawa and saying its not their problem if their choppers are too loud.

However, then it should be argued that all TVs should come unequipped with built in speakers.
                  An average TV should be no more than 60 decibels or a speaking voice. An average Karaoke machine with a mike or a motorbike comes in at 90-100 decibels. How would you like if he sings Karaoke or revs his motorbike at night? Humps his girlfriend on a creaking bed? PS it may be music or movies to you but filtered through a solid wall it just becomes a throbbing vibrating noise.

Then again, I have 6 speakers at my place. Admittedly they even make the floor vibrate. It's a shame, but I can agree on lowering my tunes - a bit. But dammet, turning them off and causing nuance to me simply because some d00d is working night...doesn't sound right.

There must be some law.

Comment

It is when you are the cause of the problem. Its a bit like the US Amy flying helicopters 24/7 in Okinawa and saying its not their problem if their choppers are too loud.
                    You're comparing me with helicopters? What about JR-trains?

Kind of a faux comparison there.

What I mean when I said it isn't my problem I were referring to the notion that "maybe he works night and sleep daytime".

An average TV should be no more than 60 decibels or a speaking voice. An average Karaoker machine or a motorbike comes in at 90-100 decibels. How would you like if he sings Karaoke or revs his bike at night?
                    At night? Didn't I just write both that it's daytime we are talking about, and, tv/movies are on low if they're on.

At night things should be quiet.

Daytime, tv should be ok.

I don't run a karaoke at my place. But I do sing in the shower.

Humps his girlfriend on a creaking bed? PS it may be music or movies to you but filtered through a solid wall it just becomes a throbbing vibrating noise.
                    Even without a wall, I make throbbing vibrating noises when humping my girlfriend.
                    What to do, what to do...

Hisa, thanks, thought so too. Asked a repairman just here today who said there aren't any written rules (also thought so).

Thing is, if the d00d next doors complains higher up, I'm gonna take some of that ____.

Luckily, friend found out more. Seems I'm somewhat covered.
                    People can complain but I've got no responsibility to comply. Even the owner can, but if the sound is within reason I've got nothing to worry about.

Hell'd freeze over before I let my shiny, black, heavy speakers get replaced my some earmuffs.

Comment

How tough looking was this dude ?

Do you think you could take him ?

Try turning down the bass. But ten to one he will be back.

Comment

Originally posted by rubirosa View Post
                        How tough looking was this dude ?

Do you think you could take him ?

Try turning down the bass. But ten to one he will be back.
                        Ha! Same friend also told me this:
                        "but if your neighbour is a crazy person, he would do weird things"

Comment

and don't forget to show him your signature...

Comment

I've got an idea.

Party at Maury's !

Throw a real big party, invite the riff raff from here, see if there are any party people from the Sputnik crowd still around.

And get down !

Invite the guy over while the party is really cookin'. If he joins in, everythings good. If he doesn't, scare the sh!t out of him.

So....

When's the party ?

Comment

Capital idea, Rubi!

No karaoke at my place though.

Comment

Working...
                              X