Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Looking for someone in Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for someone in Japan

    Greetings,

    I know how futile a gesture this is, but was wondering if someone could help me out here. I'm trying to find the phone number/address of a good friend of mine who has been in Japan for the last few years. I've unfortunately got a bad phone number for him, and his email address is no longer good.

    I am equiped with his name, I know where he was living a couple of years ago, I know that he was teaching English (but not in the Jet program) and I know the name of his girlfriend who is Japanese. The best I can do, so far, on the internet is find his mother's phone number and address in the United States. Unfortunately, her phone number has been changed, which means I could write to her or go to San Diego to try and meet with her to get the information.

    I'd prefer to not have to do this (I really don't want to bother his mother).

    Can anyone point me in the direction of an online resource (like a phone book)?

    Cheers,

    Scott

  • #2
    Originally posted by Revthought View Post
    ....I know how futile a gesture this is, .....
    ...and there it is in a nutshell...


    honestly, if this person was in a large city like Tokyo or Osaka...and worked for a small school... chances are nil.

    if this person worked in a small town, there is a chance someone has current contact info...

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe C-list?

      Comment


      • #4
        just send a letter to his mom with your contact details, she can pass them on and he can contact you. Simple.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sorry

          But your friend is gone forever

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
            ...and there it is in a nutshell...


            honestly, if this person was in a large city like Tokyo or Osaka...and worked for a small school... chances are nil.

            if this person worked in a small town, there is a chance someone has current contact info...
            He was in a large city. It is perfectly easy to find someone with the information that I have in the United States. I was just hoping that it would be similarly easy to accomplish in Japan. Having a "white pages" residential phone directory could do the trick. The thing is, I'm not finding anything like this for Japan on the internet. :-)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
              ...and there it is in a nutshell...


              honestly, if this person was in a large city like Tokyo or Osaka...and worked for a small school... chances are nil.

              if this person worked in a small town, there is a chance someone has current contact info...
              Indeed. This was my thought, but stranger things have happened.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by V׋S View Post
                just send a letter to his mom with your contact details, she can pass them on and he can contact you. Simple.
                This is the next step. I'd like to do this on my own though, it would be much faster if their was some magic website I could query. Having said that, I'm concerned, since his mother's phone number has changed, and I cannot find a new one for her that she has moved, or has become in some capacity unreachable by me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kokuwakamusha View Post
                  But your friend is gone forever

                  :-D I really hope this isn't the case. I didn't think of Japan as a country that could swallow a human being whole without a trace.

                  Oh, and I've already posted on craigslist. That can take a bit though.

                  Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated.


                  Scott

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Revthought View Post
                    He was in a large city. It is perfectly easy to find someone with the information that I have in the United States. I was just hoping that it would be similarly easy to accomplish in Japan. Having a "white pages" residential phone directory could do the trick. The thing is, I'm not finding anything like this for Japan on the internet. :-)
                    A white pages contains a listed phone number and given with the express permission by the subscriber to be printed, unless stated otherwise. The only way a person would publish his name on the Internet is if there was a Yahoo Profile page or the phone company publically listed every phone number in the Phone book, or its available through other media. Publishing a persons name and phone number on the Internet would be an invasion of privacy.

                    I will add that any lists with personal details in Japan would likely be in Japanese, and as foreigners move around a lot it would be hard to update every time someone moves.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                      A white pages contains a listed phone number and given with the express permission by the subscriber to be printed, unless stated otherwise. The only way a person would publish his name on the Internet is if there was a Yahoo Profile page or the phone company publically listed every phone number in the Phone book, or its available through other media. Publishing a persons name and phone number on the Internet would be an invasion of privacy.

                      I will add that any lists with personal details in Japan would likely be in Japanese, and as foreigners move around a lot it would be hard to update every time someone moves.
                      What you are saying is true, however if you have a listed phone number in the United States, and it thus appears in a public phone directory (aka white pages), it can be accessed over the internet these days.

                      These other challenges you've listed, including the language barrier, are very hard to hurtle. I realize. Thanks for the help though.


                      Best,

                      Scott

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've never seen white pages in Japan in 10 years. If they exist, they aren't distributed regularly like in the US.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                          I've never seen white pages in Japan in 10 years. If they exist, they aren't distributed regularly like in the US.
                          I used to get one for the small town I lived in. I also think I remember having looked at phone books for other cities at a large library.

                          I hope that the OP is not trying to serve a summons or collect on debt. I once had a guy from a collection agency call me at my last job looking for someone who hadn't worked there for a few years and hadn't left a forwarding address. The guy didn't tell me why he was looking for that person; he had just said "a friend." It wasn't until I googled the man who called me did I find out who he worked for and why he was looking.

                          Japan seems a little tighter with personal info. I have googled j-girls many times trying to get home addresses so I could stalk them, but alas, I had to follow them home from work instead. Crimps my style.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Revthought View Post
                            Greetings,

                            I know how futile a gesture this is, but was wondering if someone could help me out here. I'm trying to find the phone number/address of a good friend of mine who has been in Japan for the last few years. I've unfortunately got a bad phone number for him, and his email address is no longer good.

                            I am equiped with his name, I know where he was living a couple of years ago, I know that he was teaching English (but not in the Jet program) and I know the name of his girlfriend who is Japanese. The best I can do, so far, on the internet is find his mother's phone number and address in the United States. Unfortunately, her phone number has been changed, which means I could write to her or go to San Diego to try and meet with her to get the information.

                            I'd prefer to not have to do this (I really don't want to bother his mother).

                            Can anyone point me in the direction of an online resource (like a phone book)?

                            Cheers,

                            Scott

                            hi scott !!

                            hmmm after reading this and there has been some good suggestions ..as what to do !!
                            however if you are a great friend of his ..you wouldn't hesitate to write to his mother or worry you are invading of which you aren't ...and if you are a friend in the right sense all she will do is pass the letter on ..it's as simple as that ...maybe send her a small gift in parcel as a way of thank you in advance ..it's polite and shows you are genuine ..??questions you should ask yourself ...ANY friend who has manners or cares would drop you a line or try and ring you regardless of time passed between friends ..just to see if you were alright wouldnt they..?? a letter seems harmless and alot quicker dont worry about it so much

                            best regards GG x

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Umm quick thought

                              Maybe he doesn't want to contact the mother bcuz he's really a stalker.

                              Wow, you came all the way to Japan, most stalkers give up after a state or two distance.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X