Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Best places to meet people in Tokyo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best places to meet people in Tokyo?

I just arrived in Japan about a week ago. I@started an english teaching job here in Soka just outside of Tokyo. Im new to Tokyo and I'm curious to know about where the best places are to meet people. If working for a small private school and the only other teacher there besides me is my boss but he is older and has a family etc. My boss is a great guy but mostly focused on the situation in Japan. He has a family here, is a lot older than me,and very much preocuppied with keeping the business running, so he isn't someone I can really "hang out" with.
    From what I've seen he's the only other gaijin besides me in Soka. If a pretty social guy and feeling really isolated but I have no clue where to go. My japanese level is very low too unfortunatly.

I'm interested in meeting japanese or other gaijin but I get the impression that the bars in Soka don't cater well to foriegners. Anyone close to Soka or have any tips or advice on places I could go to meet people in Tokyo?

I appreciate the help!

Originally posted by vansandn View Post
    Best places to meet people in Tokyo?
    try Higashi Umeda....

Comment

Well, I guess that's the only place apparently! lol
      I will be sure to check it out though and I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Soka is in Saitama , I give it a couple more weeks to get your head around to where you have landed .

Follow the Guinness trail and before you know it , you'll be shagging a queue or a flock depending on your collage of taste .

have a rummage in this place

http://bigdaikon.org/board/viewtopic...47571&start=30
        Last edited by AW1; 2011-04-07, 10:05 AM.

Comment

hey, i live in soka, too though i'm japanese not a gaijin. there are more gaijin in soka other than just you and your boss, just not many white people. i have also been approached by a couple of mormons at the soka koen park, and they were white.
          Last edited by natsuo_sakuma; 2011-05-13, 12:59 PM.

Comment

man i just looked at my previous post and realized i sound so much like a troll. i'm not one. seriously there is at least one more white guy that i know of who lives in soka, and i have a gaijin friend in yashio, another one in hatogaya, both of which are right next to soka. there's a small community here and we get together every once in a while for whatever occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by natsuo_sakuma View Post
              hey, i live in soka, too though i'm japanese not a gaijin. there are more gaijin in soka other than just you and your boss, just not many white people. i have also been approached by a couple of mormons at the soka koen park, and they were white.
              mormon missionaries... <shudder>... ugh.... "hi, nice to meet you, now STFU..." :-P

Comment

Originally posted by jron View Post
                mormon missionaries... <shudder>... ugh.... "hi, nice to meet you, now STFU..." :-P

We used to go for Root Beer (All You Can Drink!!!) at the A&W in Okinawa.

Man, those are some square white people.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                  We used to go for Root Beer (All You Can Drink!!!) at the A&W in Okinawa.

Man, those are some square white people.

.... and you can catch up on the latest in the Stars and Stripes!!

In the branch at the Naha Airport, you can "Ring the bell if your visit was swell"!!

Comment

Working...
                  X