Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Laws regarding taking photos in public places - can shop/stage staff prohibit it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterling View Post
    Ah, sh1t. I keep entering typos.

I meant to indicate: "... My friend is married to a Japanese - so the kids stand out as 'haafu's. Even if they were full-blooded Japanese, it wouldn't make the creepy photographer's actions right. He was targeting kids - some photos were upskirts and pervy stuff like that."
    hahaha yah, I was pretty sure there was a typo in there somewhere!

Comment

It only becomes a problem if you publicly display the pictures, Taking them is not a problem in a public place.
      If for private use, no problem! Sheesh.
      Just as Andun says

Originally posted by Andun View Post
      You are basically right:

However individuals are protected under the following law:
      Which bascially states that the individual has the right not to have pictures taken of themselves, be drawn or have those made public without permission.

Comment

So from all that we learn...

we can take photos of the nymphoids in their maid outfits and disregard the stage staff's protests UNLESS the subject of our photos tells us that he/she doesn't want his/her photo taken.

That's what I take away from this.

I feel like a better person.

Comment

I have a few stories like this. I've run into tv filming on the street before, and taken pictures. They try to stop you, and I ask them very clearly if they own the property. Usually the answer is that they have a permit to film there. To which I reply that it is a public space, and if they don't want pictures taken, they should film in a private area, and I keep snapping photos. They try to get in the way, but I've only ever been in the situation once or twice when they have anyone who is tall enough to block me from taking photos.

A few months ago, I was watching a fashion show that said very clearly 'no photos'. This was outside on the streets of Yokohama. I started taking video. They came up and told me to stop. I looked at the guy and aggressively told him to fuck off in English. He did, then sent someone else over, to which I replied the same. I took as much video as I felt, then watched the rest of the show afterwards, and not a thing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by purple View Post
            crappy J-pop songs
            Isn't that like, an oxymoron, man?

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
              Isn't that like, an oxymoron, man?
              I think you mean tautology.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                I have a few stories like this. I've run into tv filming on the street before, and taken pictures. They try to stop you, and I ask them very clearly if they own the property. Usually the answer is that they have a permit to film there. To which I reply that it is a public space, and if they don't want pictures taken, they should film in a private area, and I keep snapping photos. They try to get in the way, but I've only ever been in the situation once or twice when they have anyone who is tall enough to block me from taking photos.

A few months ago, I was watching a fashion show that said very clearly 'no photos'. This was outside on the streets of Yokohama. I started taking video. They came up and told me to stop. I looked at the guy and aggressively told him to fuck off in English. He did, then sent someone else over, to which I replied the same. I took as much video as I felt, then watched the rest of the show afterwards, and not a thing happened.
                That was you?
                Fred

Comment

Originally posted by purple View Post
                  Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara today, a small stage was set up outside on the street. A few idols were singing crappy J-pop songs and a 100-strong otagei crowd were dancing, jumping, whooping and going mad. Of course this was worth a photo.

There was a small handwritten sign held up by one Yodobashi staff member saying "No photo", which I assumed was referring to the idols. I wanted to take some shots of the crowd so pulled out my camera but was almost instantly approached by another staff member telling me "No photos". When I explained I wasn't taking photos of the idols, just the crowd (members of the public standing on a public street cordoned-off only by a rope from the rest of the footpath) he wouldn't have any of it. Although he didn't grab me or the camera he stood in front of me and wouldn't get out of the way until I put my camera away.

Does anyone know the laws in Japan in such situations? Are people actually within their rights to prohibit the taking of photos in such public places, or should I simply give a polite refusal to their requests and continue to snap away?
                  + It's possible that Yodobashi's contract with the 'idols' even included the clause that they will ensure that no pictures are taken.
                  + If you are on Yodobashi's property, they can do whatever they want.
                  + If you are on public property, they have no right to do anything, and 'asking you' and 'standing in your way' is probably the only way. Reminds me of the parking attendants who stop street traffic to let cars out from a gas station or supermarket. Also these guys have no right to tweak the traffic rules and I sometimes feel urged to run them over...

Comment

here's what the police said...

So on the way to work today, a 4x4 Bentz blows through a stop sign, and I manage to hit the brakes to avoid it - until at the last moment, I thought "feck it. I'm tired of these jerks doing this sh!t" and released pressure on the brakes just enough to give the Bentz a thump. The guy stops, looks at me, sneers and takes off. I thought, okay, I can play this game and followed. I thought I was in for a chase and I know he can't out run me in the city, but turns out he was practically already at his destination.

I catch up to him and stand in front of him with my bicycle and call 110. Cops come and we have a 30 minute shake down. Well, this guy was a typical you-foreigners-shouldn't-be-in-Japan twit and was pretty pissed, thinking I was trying to get money from him and claiming that he had stopped and grabbing another shop owner and telling him what "happened" so he could back him up when the cops came. I just stood there saying nothing except "Yes" when he asked if I spoke Japanese. Oh, and I took several photos and shot a lot of video of the guy before and after the police arrived.

In the end, the cops told me I had to erase it because it "wasn't fair" that I had photos of the guy's car and he had none of mine. I argued back for a bit, but the truth was I had to get to work. So I played with the cops a bit more while my phone was emailing the photos/video to my hotmail account and *then* I showed the cops me deleting everything on the phone. SUCKAS!!!

One cop was fairly adamant that I was legally required to delete the photos but he couldn't quote the law or tell me what law it was.

They also tried to get me to exchange name and phone number with the guy, but I said no. They said I had to. I said I didn't. Back and forth. Finally they admitted that I was not legally bound to do it and they could not force me. They were "concerned" that if I needed to contact the guy about bike repairs or injuries that I wouldn't know how to get a hold of him, but I explained that we were standing in front of the guy's restaurant and I had made a note of his license plate (anyone can get owner info from license plate no.) so I would have no difficulty "getting a hold of him" should I need to.

I explained that similar incidents have happened before, and I didn't mind exchanging contact information, but this guy was acting like an azzhole so I didn't want to do it.

So, in conclusion, the cops say IT AIN'T FAIR! b*stards. Why did I even call them...

If anyone wants a fun experience at a gaijin-hating restaurant, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction!

Comment

Last edited by Andun; 2012-08-16, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andun View Post
                        This is a case of your word against his as no actual accident occurred. So the cops couldn't have done anything even if they wanted to (which they didn't no doubt). As regards the photographs, the police were right. The guy probably told them it was invasion of privacy and asked for them to be erased. As there was no crime \ therefore the photos were not evidence \ you were legally obligated to delete them. It sucks but that's the way it goes.
                        If the police had actually caught him going through the stop sign he would have been fined.
                        Yah... but what was surprising was that the other shop owner says, "Oh there's a security camera on that intersection!" And he's all like, Yeah! We nailed this foreigner b*stard! I said, really? Great! Get it out 'cuz it's gunna show your friend running that stop sign! I told the cops about the camera and that I would love for them to look at it, but guess what - even if they saw the video, they would NOT ticket the guy because they have to see it themselves! Unbelievable! Absolutely, EMF Unbelievable!

I guess, I should invest in a camera mount for my bike and just hook my phone up every time I ride...

Comment

Thanks for sharing the info. This completely matches my experience with the local cops from the Koban who usually 'can't be bothered' and have sweet ties to the local shop owners. Filing a report with a larger police station is usually better, but without any hard evidence, such as a broken bike it's difficult anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
                            Thanks for sharing the info. This completely matches my experience with the local cops from the Koban who usually 'can't be bothered' and have sweet ties to the local shop owners. Filing a report with a larger police station is usually better, but without any hard evidence, such as a broken bike it's difficult anyway.
                            Hmmm... yah you must be right. The shop owners park on the street in the same places that you and I would pick up a ticket in minutes.

But it's not a good idea to park on the street in some areas where the roads are so narrow. ones car might get keyed or something...

Comment

check out the movie trailer for Premium Rush. Aside from the fact that it looks like a dumb movie, there is a lovely clip where a hot chick on a fast bike takes out a taxi's mirror with a chain.

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Comment

Originally posted by hml View Post
                                So on the way to work today, a 4x4 Bentz blows through a stop sign, and I manage to hit the brakes to avoid it - until at the last moment, I thought "feck it. I'm tired of these jerks doing this sh!t" and released pressure on the brakes just enough to give the Bentz a thump. The guy stops, looks at me, sneers and takes off. I thought, okay, I can play this game and followed. I thought I was in for a chase and I know he can't out run me in the city, but turns out he was practically already at his destination.

I catch up to him and stand in front of him with my bicycle and call 110. Cops come and we have a 30 minute shake down. Well, this guy was a typical you-foreigners-shouldn't-be-in-Japan twit and was pretty pissed, thinking I was trying to get money from him and claiming that he had stopped and grabbing another shop owner and telling him what "happened" so he could back him up when the cops came. I just stood there saying nothing except "Yes" when he asked if I spoke Japanese. Oh, and I took several photos and shot a lot of video of the guy before and after the police arrived.

In the end, the cops told me I had to erase it because it "wasn't fair" that I had photos of the guy's car and he had none of mine. I argued back for a bit, but the truth was I had to get to work. So I played with the cops a bit more while my phone was emailing the photos/video to my hotmail account and *then* I showed the cops me deleting everything on the phone. SUCKAS!!!

One cop was fairly adamant that I was legally required to delete the photos but he couldn't quote the law or tell me what law it was.

They also tried to get me to exchange name and phone number with the guy, but I said no. They said I had to. I said I didn't. Back and forth. Finally they admitted that I was not legally bound to do it and they could not force me. They were "concerned" that if I needed to contact the guy about bike repairs or injuries that I wouldn't know how to get a hold of him, but I explained that we were standing in front of the guy's restaurant and I had made a note of his license plate (anyone can get owner info from license plate no.) so I would have no difficulty "getting a hold of him" should I need to.

I explained that similar incidents have happened before, and I didn't mind exchanging contact information, but this guy was acting like an azzhole so I didn't want to do it.

So, in conclusion, the cops say IT AIN'T FAIR! b*stards. Why did I even call them...

If anyone wants a fun experience at a gaijin-hating restaurant, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction!
                                Could you post the pics of his car here or direct us to a link? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X