Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

160,000 yen per month for a foreign worker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160,000 yen per month for a foreign worker

Hello Guys,

Hi! I'm a newbie and love to hear some advice..pls. be nice to me. Thank you.

I'm a Filipino and currently working as a web designer and a freelance photographer.

I apply online as a photographer and passed the interview. The head office is in Japan ( yashio city, saitama prefecture ) Gulliver Inc.

They have office here in the Philippines. He said the package comes with Free Apartment and I will only shoulder my food expenses. But I'm really confused after I got an email from him.

Salary is like this.

BASIC: 160,000Yen (About 88,000PHP)
    Deduction for;
    All benefit + Overseas insurance.
    Share apartment +Utility (Electric, water etc)

NET: About 70,000YEN (About 38,500PHP)
    +Overtime - Hourly 1,191yen.

About cost of living:
    For food -15,000~30,000yen a month.

Its depends on how you living there you can share with other Filipino in one apartment, Now living cost is getting cheaper than before.
    Also you could have free charge of medical.

Raise a salary is depend on your performance.

I am not sure how much is the basic or average salary of a foreign workers?? I don't smoke and I don't like drinking nor go out n a bar to have some fun. I know how to cook my own meal on a budget. But my main concern is I have a family to support and the NET 70,000 yen will be deducted for my cost of living (30,000yen) and some personal expenses like bath soap, shampoo, toothpaste..buy clothes for winter, laundry soap... Cooking utensils, gas to cook foods..etc.

I don't know the exact location of the apartment so train expenses is also my main concern.

I will shoot mainly products and told that from time to time i will help carry out some of their products..I don't understand what the Japanese guy means but i think i will also work n the warehouse. They sell their products online. http://gulliverbpo.com/webdesign.html and http://www.giocom.net/

I really like to go to Japan and pursue my passion as a photographer but I don't think i can survive there.

If i will send money to my family i will also pay for the remittance charge.

I already give him the requirements for my papers. (College Diploma, Passport and ID pictures)

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by wako View Post
    Hello Guys,

Hi! I'm a newbie and love to hear some advice..pls. be nice to me. Thank you.

I'm a Filipino and currently working as a web designer and a freelance photographer.

I apply online as a photographer and passed the interview. The head office is in Japan ( yashio city, saitama prefecture ) Gulliver Inc.

They have office here in the Philippines. He said the package comes with Free Apartment and I will only shoulder my food expenses. But I'm really confused after I got an email from him.

Salary is like this.

BASIC: 160,000Yen (About 88,000PHP)
    Deduction for;
    All benefit + Overseas insurance.
    Share apartment +Utility (Electric, water etc)

NET: About 70,000YEN (About 38,500PHP)
    +Overtime - Hourly 1,191yen.

About cost of living:
    For food -15,000~30,000yen a month.

Its depends on how you living there you can share with other Filipino in one apartment, Now living cost is getting cheaper than before.
    Also you could have free charge of medical.

Raise a salary is depend on your performance.

I am not sure how much is the basic or average salary of a foreign workers?? I don't smoke and I don't like drinking nor go out n a bar to have some fun. I know how to cook my own meal on a budget. But my main concern is I have a family to support and the NET 70,000 yen will be deducted for my cost of living (30,000yen) and some personal expenses like bath soap, shampoo, toothpaste..buy clothes for winter, laundry soap... Cooking utensils, gas to cook foods..etc.

I don't know the exact location of the apartment so train expenses is also my main concern.

I will shoot mainly products and told that from time to time i will help carry out some of their products..I don't understand what the Japanese guy means but i think i will also work n the warehouse. They sell their products online. http://gulliverbpo.com/webdesign.html and http://www.giocom.net/

I really like to go to Japan and pursue my passion as a photographer but I don't think i can survive there.

If i will send money to my family i will also pay for the remittance charge.

I already give him the requirements for my papers. (College Diploma, Passport and ID pictures)

Thanks guys.
    It IS low, but to be honest non-Japanese asian people sadly don't always get the great paying jobs. However Japanese people do usually live with their parents..

To be honest you can survive on that salary. BUT as for sending money home or having fun, seeing Japan while working here etc... probably not. The charges you would face for sending it to a bank in another country would probably be a large percentage of the money you are sending. The train costs will inevitably add up too, perhaps you could negotiate for the company to pay that? Its pretty standard ...

Also from what I understand, your NET salary is what you take home AFTER deductions, so you are being charged 90000 for your tax, insurance too i hope?) and living?! I dont know if you have to pay overseas tax ... i would check that out, but overall that seems ridiculous, you could (potentially) find your own place for a third of that, especially if your workplace is out in the sticks. However you would probably find it hard to get a landlord to rent to you ...

Comment

That really does seem to be on the low end of things. 70000 won't get you far here. Train expenses would most likely be covered by the company, however, as most dispatch companies for assistant English teachers do, they will limit it to a maximum which may be below the actual cost. If you can, try and twist their arm for a higher salary. Considering what they charge people for the photo shoots here, you will be working almost for free in their books. I hope it work out for you ok, your job is definitely an interesting one. Keep us in the loop. All the best.

Comment

70000 a month? What's that per day? Sounds like slave wages to me. What's the employment outlook where you are?

Comment

Originally posted by ume View Post
          It IS low, but to be honest non-Japanese asian people sadly don't always get the great paying jobs. However Japanese people do usually live with their parents..

To be honest you can survive on that salary. BUT as for sending money home or having fun, seeing Japan while working here etc... probably not. The charges you would face for sending it to a bank in another country would probably be a large percentage of the money you are sending. The train costs will inevitably add up too, perhaps you could negotiate for the company to pay that? Its pretty standard ...

Also from what I understand, your NET salary is what you take home AFTER deductions, so you are being charged 90000 for your tax, insurance too i hope?) and living?! I dont know if you have to pay overseas tax ... i would check that out, but overall that seems ridiculous, you could (potentially) find your own place for a third of that, especially if your workplace is out in the sticks. However you would probably find it hard to get a landlord to rent to you ...
          Thanks a lot!

I ask the guy if its ok to make my salary at least 200,000 yen per month though im not sure if they will agree since he told me that the offer is 160,000..

I also ask him if they will cover my train expenses. I don't know if i need to pay overseas tax. It's also a share apartment and i dont have idea what it looks like..Is it like a one house with separate room? i preffer just like that but i think i will share a room. I hope not.

also, is it true that most of apartment here includes free wifi? does japan offer free wifi on a certain hotspot? like public streets, park etc..

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks!

Comment

also, is it true that most of apartment here includes free wifi?
            No, though many short-term rental apartments and shared rentals will have wifi.

does japan offer free wifi on a certain hotspot? like public streets, park etc.
            It's pretty rare.

Comment

Originally posted by ume View Post

Originally posted by ericson View Post
              That really does seem to be on the low end of things. 70000 won't get you far here. Train expenses would most likely be covered by the company, however, as most dispatch companies for assistant English teachers do, they will limit it to a maximum which may be below the actual cost. If you can, try and twist their arm for a higher salary. Considering what they charge people for the photo shoots here, you will be working almost for free in their books. I hope it work out for you ok, your job is definitely an interesting one. Keep us in the loop. All the best.
              Thanks!

I demand at least 200,000 yen per month. I hope its ok with them. To be honest with you i still earn a decent salary here its just that i want to experience working in Japan and to travel too and the cost of living here is not expensive compare to Japan..I'll be staying near tokyo in saitama do you think cost of living there are low?

Is it possible to look for a new company once i get the gig there and apply after my contract ends? if that's the case, can i still stay for a couple of months in japan after my 1 year contract work end?

I'm also a freelance web designer can I still work on my free time there or most of the company are strict about it?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                No, though many short-term rental apartments and shared rentals will have wifi.

It's pretty rare.
                Thanks!

I guess I have to pay extra for my internet. How much for a simple/basic package for an ISP there?

Comment

Is it possible to look for a new company once i get the gig there and apply after my contract ends? if that's the case, can i still stay for a couple of months in japan after my 1 year contract work end?
                  you can only work as long as your visa allows you to. The date of your contract expiry and the visa expiry may not be the same.

I'm also a freelance web designer can I still work on my free time there or most of the company are strict about it?

Thank you.
                  Technically they can not tell you what to do in your free time or outside work hours but some companies have rules against moonlighting and second jobs in case it interferes with your job. Check your contract.

If you quit your job you may have to leave the apartment so you have to think about where you will live, also.

PS rent is usually one of your biggest expenses and should not be more than 25% of your salary. If you have free room and board then you could possibly live on your salary. Its hard to say what it will be like without knowing exact area and location, size of apartment etc.
                  Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-01-15, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                    you can only work as long as your visa allows you to. The date of your contract expiry and the visa expiry may not be the same.

Technically they can not tell you what to do in your free time or outside work hours but some companies have rules against moonlighting and second jobs in case it interferes with your job. Check your contract.

If you quit your job you may have to leave the apartment so you have to think about where you will live, also.

PS rent is usually one of your biggest expenses and should not be more than 25% of your salary. If you have free room and board then you could possibly live on your salary. Its hard to say what it will be like without knowing exact area and location, size of apartment etc.
                    He said its in yashio city, saitama..the office but i think its somewhere in saitama or near the office..he said it also 30 mins away from tokyo..

I want to apply a new job after my contract ends. my question is after my 1 year contractcan i still stay for like few months or weeks or they will ask me to get out of japan immediately?

if i can still stay for a month or before the contract ends i will look for a new company and will ask them to sponsor my visa so i can still get back in japan and hopefully with a big or average salary.

Thanks

Comment

I want to apply a new job after my contract ends. my question is after my 1 year contractcan i still stay for like few months or weeks or they will ask me to get out of japan immediately?
                      as long as you have a valid visa you can stay in Japan after contract ends. Probably your contract and visa will end about the same time. Only immigration can deport you or send you home and once your contract ends you are no longer an employee. The employer can not tell you to go home if you no longer work for them.

if i can still stay for a month or before the contract ends i will look for a new company and will ask them to sponsor my visa so i can still get back in japan and hopefully with a big or average salary.

Thanks
                      You can stay for a month before contract ends as you still have a visa. Im not sure about afterwards.

The best idea is start looking for a replacement job a few months before your contract ends. You don't want to wait until the end of your contract because you may not find a job when you want one and you will end up having no income and no job. You can work on the same visa even if you change employers, but you will need a new sponsor if you want to renew an expiring visa.

Rents are based on size of apartment number of rooms and how far it is from the train station. he could be squeezing three people into a two room apartment which means you will likely lack privacy and living on top of each other. Apartments here are generally small and no more than places you go home and sleep and eat. If you dont pay rent its one less thing to spend money on, but on average a 60 square meter apartment for one person can cost anything between 50-80,000 yen a month, less if its an older building.
                      Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-01-15, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. unfortunately after I email the Japanese guy about asking if they can make it atleast a gross 200,000 yen they disregard my application.

I was just asking if its ok with them and list all the deducted benefits into their packages since its way too low..NET 70,000 yen minus cost of living and maybe train expenses.

Comment

I was just asking if its ok with them and list all the deducted benefits into their packages since its way too low..NET 70,000 yen minus cost of living and maybe train expenses.
                          I think you just saved yourself a year of misery. Maybe nice to come to Japan but living on the breadline and eating instant noodles to survive is not much fun.

You are probably not in much of a bargaining position as there is nothing you can offer in return for a higher wage. All you are saying to them is they are cheap and miserly.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                            I think you just saved yourself a year of misery. Maybe nice to come to Japan but living on the breadline and eating instant noodles to survive is not much fun.

You are probably not in much of a bargaining position as there is nothing you can offer in return for a higher wage. All you are saying to them is they are cheap and miserly.
                            I asked the Japanese guy politely and list my computation and tell him that its really hard for me being a first timer to work in Japan and send money to my family.

and he told me that they disregard my application. I am a college graduate fine arts major in advertising..
                            working as a web graphic designer and a freelance photographer here in my country (Philippines)

I'll be working as photographer in Japan and carry some of their products also..talk about manual labor..I mean its ok with me but not in a point that I will have a very low salary..
                            The reason I apply in Japan is because I want to earn more and I don't care if its manual labor or anything as long as the pay is good..

Thanks!

Comment

The problem is, with a position like that, you probably don't have a big bargaining chip. You can take the offer, or leave it. If you leave it, then he just turns around and finds the next person who is willing to take that salary. It's not hard to find someone willing to come to Japan even for a small salary, just so they can have the opportunity to come to Japan.

Comment

Working...
                              X